South African Uni-Hockey

I haven’t actually done this for quite a while now. Based on the outside chance that a would-be South Africa UniHokier reads these forums, here’s an update on the situation in Johannesburg.

We are currently happily playing every second Sunday, we’ve changed the starting time to ‘15h30 for 16h00’ because of the soaring summer temperatures (chilly London?) and we’re seeing more and more players join us on a regular basis.
The TV coverage we had a while ago most recently yielded a 12 year old who’s been hassling his dad to buy him a uni so he can learn how to ride and play UniHoki. He got his uni last saturday.

We’re playing this Sunday 16th October at the Rangers InLine Hockey Rink, c/o Boundary and Short streets, Linden (directly opposite Linden Police station)
Please bring two T-shirts, one black and one white.
There will be lots of coaching, special balls, tactics and zonal playing.
There will also be an incredible amount of fun.
The cost is R25 per person for the use of the rink.
Spectators are welcome at no charge.
Refreshments will be on sale.
(We’re also sponsoring a couple of ‘development players’ so if you can chip in R30 instead of R25, that would be great.)
It would be good to have you so if you can join us, shout.

Other exciting news is that the unknown sport of Inline Speedskating recently got R1million rand from the South African Lotto.
I’ve been saying that I want to approach them for UniHoki money for a while now, but mainly in jest. That’s all changed now.