South African Uni-Hockey

Yeah, it’s that time of the month again…

…It’s time to gather at the Ranger’s In-Line Hockey rink for an afternoon of fun
and UniHoki!!!

wait, that didn’t come out right

oh well, would be kewl if u can make it
we have a journalist from yon local rag joining us for some research, chatting and picture taking for an in-depth, investigative feature into the state of UniHoki in South Africa

it would be nice to have a good turnout
and a bunch of ‘crowd people’ would also be kewl

c u there?

Re: Yeah, it’s that time of the month again…

I’ll be there!
:slight_smile:

(uh, wait a minute, far-away continent, different hemisphere, can’t afford the plane ticket…nuts, I’ll have to miss it :frowning: )
But, the next best thing will be enjoying some more excellent photos–which I do hope you post, being that the first group were quite outstanding!
Especially that fantastic airseat! (I may borrow that concept for my own uni for the upcoming LBI unithon…does that airseat have a name? Who is the inventor? It really IS a good idea!)
UniHoki looks like a lot of fun! Keep the rest of us posted on your progress!

Re: Re: Yeah, it’s that time of the month again…

that is indeed unfortunate
'twould’ve been good to have ya

why thank u kind sir
they took a lot of work
especially the captions
many beers were drunk while composing those insighfull bits of comentary
it’s good to note that our efforts aren’t going unnoticed

the inventor is Mr Heath…i mean Devin Howell
in his defence, it must be pointed out (and the very first set of pics point this out) that he started playing UniHoki on a savage seat
i don’t think even the court of common good taste would convict him for that airseat now
he’s subsequently (finally) listened to my sage advice and bought himself some cycling shorts
simmilar to the WWE fashion statement i wore in some of the earlier pics
we play on the same team and do look a bit like a tag team when the shirts come off sometime during the second game
that airseat is no more

in my never ending quest to elevate UniHoki to, at least, Olympic level, i’ve taken the MTV-inspired view that nothing gets to be hip nowadays unless it’s misspelt
UniHoki Rawks!!

the rest of this forum will curse u for your encouragement of my unsolicited rantings about UniHoki in this far flung corner of the dark continent
fear not the tide of public opinion, i will post updates regularly

which reminds me
we’re also playing next week
two weeks in a row?!?
what is this world coming to?, i hear u ask
well, it’s quite simple really
we’ve allways played on the first Sunday of every month
craig mullen, in pretoria, (yeah, the original Cokeur in South Africa, u remembered him? i’m impressed) plays the saxophone in a big brass band
they only practise once a month
guess when?!?
yeah, first sunday of the month
even at the same time!
who organises a big brass band practise at 15h00 on a sunday afternoon?
have ye no consideration man?
oh well
so, to facillitate craig joining us, and sharing transport with the other guy driving from pretoria (mr airseat, btw), we’re switching from the first sunday of the month to the second sunday of the month
and to ensure a smooth transition, alan suggested that we play both weeks and see how it goes
there have been some rumblings to play more regularly than our current once-a-month
i’m still cautiously suggesting that we rather have a big gathering once a month than a watered down version once a week
we’ll see how it goes

i can’t imagine too many people are still reading this lil’ rant of mine
i’ll ask anyway
we’ve got this journo coming to the game on sunday and i’ve been thinking about putting together a Press Pack for him with some basic info about the game
such as the (in){sic}correct spelling of UniHoki and a copy of the rules
can anyone think of anything else that would be good to have in there?

suggestions, please

aren’t u impressed, Tom?

Re: Re: Re: Yeah, it’s that time of the month again…

And Excellent they are!

There you have it. When I soon do the same to my own saddle (once I start to think that I need an airseat) I shall call the results, “The Howell Saddle”.
Seriously, I am not being the least bit sarcastic nor tongue in cheek about that saddle–when I first saw it, my genuine first response was “wow! that actually, is a really really good idea.” Simple, direct, cheap and it does the trick. It might look a bit outlandish, but that is also part of its charm.
[/B]
[/QUOTE]

KEWL! AU-SUM!

Let them curse! Because of your thread on South African UniHoki, my eyes have been opened and as of now, I am officially a fan. A far away fan, but a fan nevertheless, sitting here comfy cozy in the Big Apple, admiring and encouraging your UniHoki project from across vast oceans.

Pictures such as the ones you posted. Did you record any of it on video? A short DVD (or video cassette) of you guys in action–journalists love to walk away with something they can play over and over again on their TV sets.
The unforgettable Howell Saddle should be somewhere in the press packet–any journalist worth his salt would find that to be very humorous–thus interesting–thus they would smile while writing about your UniHoki project–and if they smile while writing, they will write a nice loooonnnggg articlethat will help spread the word. Look at me for example–I’m not a journalist, and yet I have already spent quite a bit of time posting to this particular thread–imagine what I would do if I were a journalist–If I were with the New York Times, you guys would have already been on the cover of the Sports Section. Then again, if I were a sports writer for the NYT, they would have fired me by now because everything I would have written would have been unicycle-related…
Don’t forget to tell the journalist that you have an international following–with fans from as far away as…uh, New York for example…

Re: Re: Re: Re: Yeah, it’s that time of the month again…

good thinking
i don’t have anything on us on video, but i’m thinking a spot of Flaming Puck UniHoki might not go down too badly at all

they’re coming out to take pics tomoro so i don’t want to step on any toes by offering our pics
i might give him the link to the gallery, just for the sake of backround

i hope to have some video coverage soon
we’ve been promised a 30sec spot on a bunch of electronic billboards all over town, so we’re going to have to edit something together

i really think basketball and hockey on uni is silly

SILLY? Silly you say!?!

No–I’ll tell you what is silly–playing basketball WITHOUT unicycles is silly! Smelly sneakers, jumping like kangaroos. No thanks. And playing hockey with ice skates? On ice? That is the silliest thing in the world–slippery ice where youy can break your backs, fights with other ice hockey players in a skating rink, again, so thanks. And I won’t even get into street hockey, the silliest of them all! It is the unicycle that makes these sports NON-silly.

Watch your step here, sir. On this forum, you are deep, and I mean DEEP in Uni-World.
:smiley:

u say that like it’s a bad thing…?

and pray tell, young sneaker, what on a uni isn’t ‘silly’?

we had another fun and excellent day’s UniHoki yesterday
the journo was duly impressed with his press-pack and also took a bundle of pics
he promised to email them to me so i’ll stick them up in our gallery as soon as i get them
he didn’t ask a single circus/clown related question, so i’m looking forward to the article
i’ll post it as soon as i have it available

Have you tried it? Its addictive…There’s nothing like biffing a ball around on a unicycle…It sure beats the heck out of trying to wheelwalk in the solitude of your driveway…It better when things get competitive…Grrrr…

And GILD I really think watered down weekly versions serve a purpose…See, when we started we were a small bunch…One miserable week I was the only one that turned up…Anyway, the more we played, more guys joined in…it became more addictive and now we get atleast 15 “decent” players every week compared to a year ago when we had a 5 vs 1<<(he was a ninja jedi unicyclist) game… and that damn guy beat us…

Now every week is Major UniHoki Week

it’s good to know that more frequent playing worked for u

the concensus among our crowd seem to be that we’re ready to go to twice a month
the second and the last Sunday of every month
so if u’re ever in town …

Re: Re: Yeah, it’s that time of the month again…

the photos for this week’s session come to u courtesy of Derek Davey

check them out here

i tried to fight on uni with my friend and everyone thought we are gays. thats pretty addictive too

u mean unicycle sumo?

AWWW NIGGA AWWW. sumo??? i just tried to punch my friend off with a nice punch into his fucking head.

Re: Re: Re: Yeah, it’s that time of the month again…

All I can say is Excellent, Excellent, EXCELLENT!
Those are indeed really great pictures.
Cheers, and keep them coming.

Yea, it is silly - BUT ITS REALLY FUN,
Just like riding down a mountain, along a rail, or jumping on and over boxes and rock, could also be classed as “silly” - BUT THEY ARE REALLY FUN TOO!!

Yea Dave cool pics, here are some old Pics from last year

Which pics are they gonna use for he paper.

So what suprises do you have instore for us next week Dave!!?? Just a hint?

OH YES! Also BIG THANKS to Dave for putting in all the effort and making this unihoki thing happen (arranging the court, getting people interested, the press, etc.,etc.,etc.), Im shure its been a “dream” of his for a while now and its finally comin together!!

CONGRATS!

And we have all been havin a balst THANKS!

shaun, the main album doesn’t offer me the option of allowing other users posting ‘permissions’
i don’t know why
i can do it on nested albums, but not the whole thing
so i’ve created a nested album called smd02 but now i can’t give u permission to upload pics to it, cause your name doesn’t come up in the ‘permissions’ field?

can anyone help?

(i thought it might be kewl idea to keep all our UniHoki pics in one gallery)

as for the surprises, it may (or may not) include a new player or two
an old player making a re-appearance
and the need for bringing two T-shirts (one white, one black - which has taken me a year to get most people to buy into, and actually remember) may no longer be relevant
or not

i’m also working on Kris Holm as a celebrity ref
but negotiations have broken down over the blue MnM issue

2 Questions about Uni-hokey.

Does the stick play any role in keeping a player up on his unicycle? For example, for players who can not idle very well or at all, does the hockey stick provide any kind of leverage?

Is there a preferred wheel size?

I myself am not a good enough unicycler for uni-hokey (in fact, I may be one of the crappiest post level 1 unicyclers on the planet) so actually playing uni-hokey is currently beyond my own skill level, but still, one day in the far future, I do hope to be good enough to ride around a hokey rink with a hokey stick chasing after an elusive tennis ball. I, of course, being the chicken that I am, would wear a hockey helmet.

depends on the player
it’s kinda handy to lean on while doing a bit of a cheat-stilstand at the back while waiting in defence
it’s also really handy to have while freemounting in the heat of battle

once again, player’s preference
the rules allow up to a 24" wheel to be used
a majority of people in SA use 20"
mainly because a majority of riders in SA only have 20"
devin is currently using my 24" (the one with the black wheeldisk in the recent pics) and i passed my 125mm cranks onto him when i got 114mm ones for my 20"
that gives him a touch more speed but a bit of a battle with maneuverabillity
he still can’t idle (more about your perceived skill-level shortly)
but is slowly beginning to use the sharper turning benefit of shorter cranks to his advantage
instead of trying to stop and change direction, it is far quicker to ride around in a very tight turn and fly off after the ball
(it does look more impressive to stop and ride backwards while constantly harrying the player in possesion of the ball tho)

u kid yourself
if u can mount, ride, turn and stop, u’re over qualified
we’ve had people start playing with us who had to run to the wall to mount everytime they fell off
a couple of games like that, and the are freemounting like machines
nothing like motivation to want to practise
u should really get out of your dogbowl and try n get a game together
it is the best, most fun way of improving your general unicycling abillity

(as u can tell) i’m an absolute UniHoki zealot and implore u to spread the word