Snowdon + Muni without Brakes = Pain

Just back from trying to ride down Mt Snowdon. And all I can say is OWWW. Can’t say I rode all of it, probably more than 50% but less than 75%.

I didn’t have the braked Muni yet but a sunny easter weekend was too good to miss so I packed up my UDC Max Traction and drove up to Llanberis on Friday night.

On Saturday morning the weather was fantastic, sunny with a southerly blowing from behind the mountain and down the slope with just enough haze to cut the sunshine down to managable levels. I’d chosen Mt Snowdon as there is a railway to the summit but since I had all day and the queue was already huge I decided to trek up on foot. This gave me the advantage of being able to survey the route but also meant I had to take it easy so as not to put too much work into my legs before the descent.

It took about 4 hours to reach the top complete with all the usual remarks about missing wheels etc. I just smiled and gave them the standard response of “I had to leave it at the bottom as it’s got a puncture”. Somewhere before Halfway house I had to stop and with the help of an ozzy put out a couple of small fires caused by sparks from the passing train. Odd really all these tourists were just walking past as if there was nothing wrong with the hillside going up in flames. Further on I got chatting with a guy who confidently claimed to be the seventh highest ranked street louger in the UK (apparently there are only seven).

The very top of Snowdon is right on the edge of a cliff allmost as if the original summit was much higher but the rest has fallen away. The top is an outcrop of rocks which the Victorians built a stone viewing platform and a trig point on top off (they were also responsible for the railway to the summit - highest point in England and Wales and they stick a railway up it). There are steps leading to the top of the platform and I suppose on a calm day a sufficiently suicidally inclined trials rider could pedal grab the trig point and then bunny hop down off the platform. Always assuming you could get up there early enough to get onto the platform without any tourists being there and didn’t mind risking the 400m sheer cliff on two sides. Not being quite that daft (or skilled) I started at the base of the platform and managed to ride for a full 50 metres before I had the first of many offs. Didn’t even manage to get out of sight of the viewing platform - strangely there wasn’t even one snigger, they must have still been stunned by anyone even trying to ride the slope.

Oddly enough the highest half of the mountian was easier than the lower. That could have been partly because I was less knackered but also because the fist sized rocks that the park wardens have used to build the path up the mountain are more worn and broken up near the top.

From Summit to Blwlch Glas (600m) the path skirts the edge of the cliff. Although the path is wide, riding takes care and a lot of cooperation by the tourists. At Blwch Gals the path breaks away from the edge and gets wider. It’s at this point that the local mountain bikers usually start their descent. The route then curves gently round the back of Crib y Ddysgl for 900m with a drop of 120m before dog legging to the left to head straight down to Clogwyn station bridge a distance of 400m with a drop of 110m. The going on this section is steep and technical but relatively good. The mountain bikers have helped to throw the worst rocks to the side with thier passage and there are some fairly clean lines that a muni can use. With brakes to assist control this section could feasibly ridden in one line. As it was, between lactic build-up in my legs and tourists with startled bunny syndrome I had 4 or 5 offs.

The first 600m section below Clogwyn station bridge is still steep, dropping a further 120m but the path starts to change. The underlying rock starts to thrust up with edge on flint structures that promise to snap your legs if you land wrong. There were a few drops and rocky sections that I decided weren’t worth the risk and so walked round.

The next 1km to Halfway House drops 100m but compared to the earlier sections seemed flat by comparison. This section and the 2.5km section beyond are pretty much similar. Large fist sized rocks all over the path make finding a clean ridable route of any length very difficult. Combined with natural rock outcrops and long slate anti-erosion steps it was a judgement call as to which small sections were worth mounting up for and which I should just walk round. With time, patience, and a lot more skill and fittness than I presently have, this stretch could be ridden. Maybe not in one go, but it could be done in a number of sections. I lost count of the offs in this section but they ran the full gammut from the running off, through sliding to backside and all the way up to the superman full length dive (last one curtousy of a tourist with full on startled rabbit syndrome)

That then just left the tarmac section from Cader Ellyll back down to Llanberis. 800m of good tarmac dropping 110m this section cried out to be riden at the glide. Unfortunately with a Gazz tyre on the muni and my current inability to glide it had to resort to the traditional hard slog of back pedal braking - nothing technical just hard work.

So to sum up - what will I try to do differently next time?

1. Start early so as to reach the summit at first light. The path is so obvious you’d have to really try hard to get lost on the way up. Getting there early means less tourists to cope with as they don’t start their way up until after 9am.
  2. Take a braked Muni. I had to stop a lot to give my legs a break. And near the end I was walking round a lot of sections that I was capable of riding but was just to tired to try.

Now then - own up - which other UK Muni riders have tried Snowdon? I know that there is at least one other who’s done it and I’d be surprised if there weren’t more. Spill the beans, has anyone managed the whole route yet?

What a great day! And you can still walk! Illness has cast me as an armchair cyclist, for the time being, and this tale was a much needed relief. See if you can conn a photographer along next time- It would be great to see that peek, and you bombing down it.

Thanks,

Christopher

Re: Snowdon + Muni without Brakes = Pain

Noel,

Fancy leading a Snowdonia Muni Weekend this year ?
Camp at Llanberis…?

Leo White

N.B. We’d have to avoid …

NATIONAL VOLUNTARY CYCLING AGREEMENT SNOWDONIA
The high level of use of the bridleways to the summit of Snowdon for
off-road cycling has led to serious fears about erosion and the safety of
walkers.
The following voluntary agreement to remedy this problem has been negotiated
between the cycling organisations, the Sports Council for Wales, Gwynedd
Count Council and Snowdonia National Park Authority.
10.00am to 5.00pm from 1st June - 30th September. Please do not cycle to or
from the summit of Snowdon. From October to end of May - full access.

Noel, that sounds like a great ride. I once climbed up next to the railway
line in the winter and reached the summit in a surreal white-out by myself.
It seemed like a really wild mountain in those conditions. On a long descent
like that brakes are just what the doctor ordered! Now that I am unicycling
and bring a unicycle on every trip, I just have to figure out how to make
one of those trips to Wales.

—Nathan

“Noel.Holland” <Noel.Holland.2e9sn@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:Noel.Holland.2e9sn@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Just back from trying to ride down Mt Snowdon. And all I can say is
> OWWW. Can’t say I rode all of it, probably more than 50% but less than
> 75%.
>
> I didn’t have the braked Muni yet but a sunny easter weekend was too
> good to miss so I packed up my UDC Max Traction and drove up to
> Llanberis on Friday night.
[snip]

Hi, sorry, this might just be me being stupid, but was it actually the Llanberis pass that you rode down?

The Llanberis Pass is the river valley of the Afon Nant Peris between the peaks of Yr Wyddfa (Mt Snowdon) and Glyder Fawr. The route I took was the tourist trail that runs next to the mountain railway from the Summit down to Llanberis.

I’m not the first to ride this route as I know that Joe Marshall rode it last autumn from his post here. I not aware of anyone else but it’s such an obvious and accessible target that I’d be surprised if there weren’t more.

There are two other bridleways that run off the top.

The Snowdon Ranger path diverts from the tourist trail at Bwlch Glas then runs down the southern edge of Clogwyn Du’r Arddu to the Ranger Station at Llyn Cwellyn. I know that the local mountain bikers do ride it as one asked me if I was going to try to ride the “zig-zags” on the way down. The ranger path is the only trail that fits that description.

The other bridleway drops off the south western edge of the summit and across Bwlch Main, then heads west to Rhyd-Dhu. One of the locals referred to the “Knife Edge” and Bwlch Main certainly fits that description.

I’ve not looked at either of these routes yet so can’t say if they’re even partially rideable, but looking at the map I’d guess that at least the lower two thirds of each would be worth looking at.

My appologies to anyone who can’t follow the names above I’m afraid that Welsh just like The Gaelic and Brettoni suffers from the celtic disapproval of vowels. You’ve really got to have a map in front of you to be able to follow the place names otherwise it just looks like someone has sneezed over a scrabble board. (And before anybody gets upset over my dispariging celtic linguistics just keep in mind that I’m a Scot so I’m entitled to say such things)

“Leo White” <leo.white@tesco.net> wrote in message
news:mlLp8.17119$2O2.894291@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk
> Noel,
>
> Fancy leading a Snowdonia Muni Weekend this year ?
> Camp at Llanberis…?
>
> Leo White

I was going to suggest something along the lines of a Snowdon muni
race/ride. Park / camp at Llanberis, drop off a food & water cache by car at
the road at the end of the Snowdon Ranger path, ride up the Llanberis path,
down the Snowdon Ranger path, turn round and ride back up the Snowdon Ranger
path to the top and blast down the final descent to Llanberis.

I haven’t ridden snowdon ranger, but it’s supposed to be rideable, although
it would need a test ride to check that before getting everyone to do it.
Whoever did the test ride would get to ride snowdon three times which would
be knackering though.

Doing this route would mean you’d get a long slog probably mainly walking up
to the top for a couple of hours, then a quite technical descent followed by
a technical ascent, mainly walking the up and then a lovely lovely fast ride
down to Llanberis. The mix of technical and blast-tastic terrain would be
wicked fun. It also has two obvious points at 1/4 of the way (first time at
the summit - ride back down the easier way) and 1/2 of the way there (end of
snowdon ranger path - wait there / ride to nearest town) where anyone who
got knackered could drop out.

Note by blast tastic I don’t mean that riding down the Llanberis path is
easy, just that it’s mainly stuff where the easiest way to ride it is at
high speed rolling off the drops and over the drainage things than to take
things slowly and carefully.

I’d think of doing this in October, to avoid the mtb ban, or perhaps if
anyone is feeling truly insane howabout an overnight version starting at 5
pm (in July / August), cook dinner at the top, down the other side for
supper, up to the top for midnight snack and then back down for breakfast.

On the subject of firsts, anyone know if I’m the first unicyclist to ride
the wobbly millenium bridge in London or has anyone done it before this
weekend?

A muni weekend in Snowdonia would be cool, although it’s a long way to go.

Joe

> My appologies to anyone who can’t follow the names above I’m afraid that
> Welsh just like The Gaelic and Brettoni suffers from the celtic
> disapproval of vowels.

Not true at all. They just spell them with consonants :-).

I would love to do Snowdon <envy>. BMW someone?

Arnold the Aardvark

Joe, you remind me of the cocker spaniel I used to have as a kid, far too much energy.

The down bits I’m up for (although my thighs are currently screaming the opposite point of view) but as to riding up?

Suggest that any one who’s interested in trying Snowdon this year meets up at the muni events at the BUC this weekend and discuss ideas there.

Just as an aside - is anyone planning on going to the fat tyre festival at Coed Y Brenin on the 20th and 21st of April?

As to the millenium bridge, I’ve looked at it a few times but have never been there early enough to avoid the hordes walking between St Pauls and Tate Modern. So I certainly haven’t done it yet, could well be your the first.

“Noel.Holland” <Noel.Holland.2hhzy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in
message news:Noel.Holland.2hhzy@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Joe, you remind me of the cocker spaniel I used to have as a kid, far
> too much energy.
>
> The down bits I’m up for (although my thighs are currently screaming the
> opposite point of view) but as to riding up?

Hey, uphill will be the new downhill, you mark my words! I have to admit
that when I rode snowdon I did walk most of the uphill due to lack of skills
and leg strength, but you’ve gotta try riding it.

> Suggest that any one who’s interested in trying Snowdon this year meets
> up at the muni events at the BUC this weekend and discuss ideas there.
>
> Just as an aside - is anyone planning on going to the fat tyre festival
> at Coed Y Brenin on the 20th and 21st of April?

Errm, am I being silly thinking BUC is not this weekend, but the one after
the one after next isn’t it?
ie. 19th - 21st April, and clashes with the fat tyre thing. I’ll be at BUC
anyway, which does sound like a very sensible time for everyone to meet up
and try to organise a muni weekend, I don’t think one has been organised
this year.

> As to the millenium bridge, I’ve looked at it a few times but have never
> been there early enough to avoid the hordes walking between St Pauls and
> Tate Modern. So I certainly haven’t done it yet, could well be your the
> first.

Ah, I did it on a weekday, so it wasn’t too bad. Just on the other side of
it (st pauls side) there is a veritable feast of steps to play on which are
fun although all the rails are grind proofed so even if I could grind rails
I wouldn’t be able to do it there.

Oh by the way, I see from the site thingy you’re from Sutton, are you the
guy who I met in Leatherhead who’d made his own muni?

Joe

“Uphill will be the new down hill”? Roger D was saying that at the last Kidderminster, I didn’t believe it then and I don’t believe it now. Trying to ride a unicycle UP a mountain is just an exercise in advanced masochism. Even most Mountain Bikers have enough good sense to pick their bikes up and carry them at times.

Yes your right the BUC isn’t until the the week after next, I blame heat stroke from the weekend for my error and I’m sticking to that excuse.

I live in Sutton and I work for Halliburton in Leatherhead. The Muni I ride was supplied by Roger and I’ve only ridden it once in Leatherhead. Seems wierd but it’s unlikely to have been me as I would have remembered meeting another uni rider. Which begs the question - who else lives around Leatherhead and rides Muni?

AAAhhhhhh, Noel! Up hill is FUN! I’v got an easy rule for when to pick up the cycle going up hill: 1) is my hart about to explode? 2) is it beyond my ability 3) have I tried and failed and tried and faild and… etc. Your not alone in disliking climbing; while I’m not particulary adept, reaching the top, or just a goal on the way, is such an awsome reward! This is especialy true on a regular ride, where you push further an further up a daunting path- what a great feeling of accomplishment to master it. Just like being able to hop up a curb, when you pick a path up root shelves or power up one crank at a time to the top, you own it. You can’t get that from walking… and when the hill is kicking my but, neither do I.

Anyway, it may not be your cup-o-tea… but the down hill sure does taste sweet after climbing to the top.

Christopher

Noel.Holland <Noel.Holland.2hhzy@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

> Just as an aside - is anyone planning on going to the fat tyre festival
> at Coed Y Brenin on the 20th and 21st of April?

Unfortuanly it clashes with the British Unicycle convnetion. Pat Adams who
is organiseing the Fat tyre fest is keen to get muni into the fest, but
contacted us to late for this year to be a practical thing. HOWEVER, if
your a munier who IS going to the Fat tre fest at CyB on April 20-21, take
a muni and Pat will love you for it. There is a possibily that we could
run a BMW event in tandem with NEXT years CyB fest, the terrain is a lot
more challenging than we have used for the first few BMWs and the place
will be swarnming with MTBers, so it needs to be thought about. I’ll try
and get the dates for the 2003 event before BUC ( in three weeks time,
not this weekend as Noel seemed to imply).

Sarah

British Unicycle Convention #9 April 19-21 2002
Unicycle Hockey, Games, Muni rides, Quidditch and Barn dance
Harry Cheshire High School, Habberley rd, Kidderminster
http://www.unicycle.org.uk/buc9/