slipping seatpost?

I find my seatpost is slipping slightly. Enough to shift the saddle left/right/down. The clamp is on really tight, anymore and my bike experience tells me I’ll have a dented seatpost. Would scratching the touching surfaces with sandpaper help? I had grease in there (again, bike experience), but that’s coming out! Any body ever fix a loose seatpost?

Sanding will make it worse. Lewis is having simmilar difficult. Apparently, our friends in Tiawan are making seat posts from Silly-Putty ™. However, they do make fine non-returning boomerangs- just find an open body of water.

Christopher

Re: slipping seatpost?

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 07:37:33 -0600, Sofa
<Sofa.22pla@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>
>I find my seatpost is slipping slightly. Enough to shift the saddle
>left/right/down. The clamp is on really tight, anymore and my bike
>experience tells me I’ll have a dented seatpost. Would scratching the
>touching surfaces with sandpaper help? I had grease in there (again,
>bike experience), but that’s coming out! Any body ever fix a loose
>seatpost?

I once fixed a loose seatpost on Jorga’s unicycle that had been a
problem for months. But I was probably dumber than you so this may not
work in your case. It’s the type of clamp that can shift up and down
on the frame. In the top of the frame are two vertical slits that
allow the clamp to squeeze the frame and thus grip the seat post. It
turned out that the clamp was sitting too low, near the bottom end of
the slits. Not much to squeeze…

Klaas Bil

“To trigger/fool/saturate/overload Echelon, the following has been picked automagically from a database:”
“GSS, meta, 20755”

I had to run down and check it, because I AM that dumb unfortunately. But alas, it was set right. Darren Bedford said he’ll sell me a clamp that has 3 allen bolts for only $10cdn. I hope he advises that purchase to customers when his website goes up. (note to Darren :slight_smile: )

Seat Post

I hear you Sofa.

I had the same challenge when I started riding a year ago. I solved it with a strip of what every Alaskan is issued before entering the state, duct tape. I just used a small strip on the seat post and put the seat back on tight.

KJP

if you know anyone with a knurling tool,you could knurl the spot where the post clamp squeezes :sunglasses:

Check the inside of the seat tube to make sure that there is no junk in there like weld splatter, excess chrome, or a big seam where the tube was joined together. If there is junk in there then sand it down (carfully so you don’t enlarge the diameter of the seat tube too much). They don’t machine out the inside of the seat tubes on the Taiwanese frames. If the inside of the tube is full of gunk there won’t be as much contact area on the seatpost. Maximize the contact area with the seatpost and you get more clamping force.

A good BMX style seatpost clamp will also help the situation (and look good too). The tall double bolt clamps generally do better than the smaller single bolt clamps. For a Taiwanese frame you’ll want a 7/8" clamp.

john_childs