Shoulders turning

I notice that when I ride my shoulders aren’t square. In fact one side is quite a bit farther in front then the other. You know what I mean? I don’t think it helps me at all in terms of speed, and I don’t think it’s very good for my back either. Do any of you find that you lean when you ride too?

I found that the only way to prevent myself from leaning is to hold the back of the seat with both hands. Does anyone else do this or have another way of training yourself not to lean?

Aloha,
Daniel

Practice leaning the opposite way. Teaching your body what it feels like in the opposite position to what you’re doing often makes it easier for you to find the middle point.

Also, make sure this phenomenon is not because of a non-level riding surface. For instance, if you’re always riding on the right-hand shoulder of the road, you will tend to have to pull to the left all the time, which will put your right shoulder in front. On level ground this shouldn’t happen.

Re: Shoulders turning

daino149 wrote:

> I notice that when I ride my shoulders aren’t square.

Hi Dan,

I know exactly what you mean. I have the same problem and it is
accentuated when riding on the shoulder of the road (as John Foss
stated). Along with a knee issue, I was recently diagnosed as having one
leg .75 inches shorter than the other. My observation is that I tend to
lean to to my short side when riding.Hmm… go figure. In my case I tend
to lean left which forces my right shoulder forward. To counter this I
started riding long straight stretches of road with my left hand on the
Muni grip of the saddle. I find this artificially straightens my
posture. Once I’m straight I try to let go and maintain the same
posture. It seems to be working.

Cheers,

Jason

One of my shoulders is always in front of the other (as is one of my arms always in front of the other) but it has less to do with posture (I think) and more to do with which side of the path I’m trying to avoid. If I’m riding along…

runs outside for a little test

If I’m riding along the side of a sidewalk and the curb is to my left, I put my left shoulder in front so my body is facing more towards the inside of the sidewalk. This way if it looks like I might be riding into the wild unknown, I can torque my body to the right and still be safe. Same applies for the opposite side. (Well, I didn’t actually test outside, as I don’t have a sidewalk handy, but I did try it along a wall. I hope it’s the same principle.)

When riding in the open, I don’t know. I don’t have an open space in front of me right now. Although I notice when I’m riding on the sidewalk and there’s lots of people, er… I forget what I noticed. Never mind.

Yes, I find I do it too. Funny thing is, sometimes I’m twisted one way, and sometimes the other. I guess it’s related to the camber/side slope of the road or trail. Also, with a slightly soft tyre, the uni can start to twist one way then sort of ‘set’ in that position.

I’m not entirely convinced that all of my uni wheels are perfectly aligned, either.

If you can’t cure the problem, try this:

If you are riding with your right shoulder leading, then extend your right arm forwards, fist clenched; now allow your left arm to extand backwards, palm upwards and open. Now lean your torso slightly forwards.

Now you are in a position which makes it look like a sophisticated technique.:smiley:

Re: Shoulders turning

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 06:50:30 -0500, Mikefule
<Mikefule.m4sqb@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Now you are in a position which makes it look like a sophisticated
>technique.:smiley:
LOL. That was very funny.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.”