shoes?

I started out riding on just my socks, because I was learning to ride in the living room. That worked fine enough. You get a good feel of the pedals that way. Now that I ride outside I just wear flat-soled shoes as I don’t want to walk around the parking lot on my socks :slight_smile:

I have built up a collection in my search for the ideal uni shoes. Mostly they come from charity shops and garage sales. They range from motorcycle boots which I converted to my hybrid uni boots to several different mid top basketball shoes.

Basketball shoes are designed to land from big jumps so they have thick soles and good ankle support. The generally have a full flat sole without the heel step that many riders don’t like.

My hybrid boots are great in many ways but a bit bulky and heavy (about 800 grams) for high cadence. The protection is fantastic for risky terrain but overkill for road riding. The other end of the scale are my Adidas Brooklyn Nets. At about 430 grams they are very light.

The zigzag tread on the Nets (including my hybrid boots) grips pretty well especially in the dry but not as well as some other patterns. I have come to realise that a simple checker pattern (like the 5-10s) works best with pins.

Tonight I just got back from my first ride on what I feel certain will end my search. They are Puma “First Round S”. Fresh from the charity shop yesterday for less than the price of a coffee and in as new condition, they tick all the boxes.

Thick soles, simple checker tread, excellent ankle protection, solid suede leather build, no glued on junk. At 525 grams they are a little heavier but still reasonably light for a robust shoe. The tongue is incredibly thick and soft. This helps get them on and off without moving the laces too much and it keeps them in firmly in place when laced up.

Quite stylish too, and hey, they are pretty close to KH blue.

Those were “Clydes” when I was a basketball-playing lad. Nice kicks.

Nice!! Looks very durable suede!

I use any of the 5 10 freeride shoes. They stick to pedals like glue, so if your cranks or pedals get wet you don’t slip around or anything. Also I believe that they come in mid top also. I have been very happy with them.