Shaved tires

I’m wondering what the pros and cons are of shaved tires and if you can buy them or if you have to shave them yourself.

Pros:

Very smooth feel
Great for flat and street

Cons:

Bad for trials
May wear-out faster

You will have to shave them yourself.

shaved tires are pretty sick. I want to shave my tire.

Here’s a thread on the subject. It may be of some use to you.

Cheers!

+1

Has anyone tried taking the tread from a 20" freestyle and gluing it to the carcass of a 19" tire?

You won’t have the weight savings of a regular shaved tire but it would last much longer. When/if I get my uni with the shaved Luna back I might try this.

Might have a mess about in a minute, I have 2 shaved 19" tyres, and a 20" KHE Premium Mac 2 that’d look cool on one.

When I took the tread of a tire to put on my homemade tire casing I discovered you can just peel the rubber from the casing once you are started.

I started trying to skin it like you would when filleting a fish but peeling worked way better.

I figured that before I get into it, I’d try to fit the 20" KHE tyre over the shaved CC. It looks like the CC is a slightly larger OD than the KHE, the CC is tight inside the KHE yet the CC overlaps itself by an inch or two. The KHE Mac2 is about 20x2.2", I don’t think there are any larger freestyle tyres about. I don’t know if any other 19" tyres have a slightly smaller OD than than CC does, if any do then they could be worth a try.

so do you think it would be a good thing to shave my tire once it gets pretty worn out?

I put the tread from a 24" tire on a 26" tire casing to see if it would work. It worked much better than i thought. There was about 8% stretch.

I am sure that putting a 20" tread on a slightly larger 19" tire would work very well.

WHampson: I shaved my Luna when it was about 2/3 worn out and loved the result. Of course it also shortened the tire life.