Setting up Kris Holm Air Ride Fusion Saddle

I got this saddle a couple weeks ago for my Torker Unistar DX 24 (the Torker saddle was really chafing inner thighs bad). There were no recommendations on amount of inflation, and I’ve tried several PSI’s. But the problem is that at any inflation, the “airbag” won’t stay centered on the saddle – no matter how tight I cinch up the seat cover. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, is anyone else concerned that if they use an air saddle and go for a 5hr. ride out into the boondocks (length of ride being a main reason for the air saddle), what are we gonna do if the tube pops??!! It’ll be a long, painful ride home I guess. Maybe good idea to carry a small patch kit and mini pump (good to have anyway for the tire).

Bottom line is, if I can’t resolve the airbag-centering issue, I’ll probably just get a regular Kris Holm or other saddle. But as a muni-newbie, that airbag sure feels good on the bumps until I can stand & hop better.:o

I tried using a KH air saddle for a couple weeks and basically hated it. some things I found helped for preventing the tube from shifting to much was using a 12" tube instead of a 20, and lots of duct tape.

I never did get it as comfortable as my cut down old style KH saddle (identical to DH saddle foam as far as I can tell)

For chaffing try wearing bike shorts, there are various creams that are supposed to help and basically just avoid cotton.

Thanks I was thinking the stock tube seemed a bit long. I’ll also try the duct tape idea as soon as I’m sure the PSI is where I want it, so the tape won’t be constricting it too much.

I do wear bike shorts, know the benefits of that from MTBing. It’s the stitching on the Torker that I think is really rubbing.

I had the same problem with the same saddle. I ended up dismantling it and, after trying several engineering disasters, wrapped the tube sock with duct tape while slightly inflated. It’s tricky getting the tube in the sock so it’s balanced on each side and taped to hold it’s shape the way you want it. I’ve done it on three seats now, and still have some trouble with the second one, but it’s definitely better after the “fix”.

As far as inflation that is totally up to the individual rider. Too hard is just that, too hard. Obviously, too soft is also too soft. So, you have to play Goldilocks and the Three Bears for a while until you find one that is just right (for you).

Bike shorts are a huge help, but you already know that. I read a story about a guy who rode the Seattle to Portland (STP) bike race recently on a Coker (204 miles in two days!) but I don’t remember if he did anything special for his posterior. You might Google it to see if it’s still out there.

Good luck with your butt! :astonished:

That’s why most people who ride long distances do not use air saddles.

You don’t see people racing the Tour de France on airseats do you?

A possibility that comes to my mind when thinking about this problem is perhaps using a combination of foam and air in your seat design. Would it work to cut the foam of a regular seat so that only a perimeter wall of foam is left on all sides, and then fill the middle with an air bag/tube of some sort? It seems to me that this might go a long way in keeping the air where you want it. A tight cover or some elastic or other flexible material might be used to keep the tube down in the “trough.” Some experimentation with perimeter wall thickness, angle of the wall cut, and type of foam may be necessary to optimize the comfort and reliability of this design.

Keep in mind this is only an idea, and I personally have very little experience with air seats of any kind.

It seems likely that someone out there has tried a similar design in the past, although I don’t recall ever seeing or hearing of it. If you have, feel free to let us know how it worked out!

I actually have wondered about this very thing. It seems to me that the main difference (when it comes the seat) between cycling and unicycling is in cycling, you’re not weighting the seat so much. Especially in mountain biking, where you’re doing so much “attack stance” riding while standing. That’s why the air seat seemed like a good idea for muni. But maybe keeping weight on the seat is just a beginner technique that you do less and less of when you get better. I don’t know, because I’m a beginner.

But it seems that no matter how good you are on a unicycle, you gotta be putting more weight on the seat on average than a 2-wheeled mountain or road cyclist. Especially if you’re doing long cross-country rides. Obviously trials is an exception.

I’m hoping I can find a comfortable non-airbag saddle. I don’t like the squishy feeling of the airbag. But all I’ve tried in the non-airbag genre is the stock saddle that came with the Torker Unistar DX 24. Maybe a Kris Holm Fusion??? I’m 6’ and 190lbs. Anyone with similar build really happy with a particular saddle for long hauls? Please let me know!

[QUOTE=Tonald]
A possibility that comes to my mind when thinking about this problem is perhaps using a combination of foam and air in your seat design. Would it work to cut the foam of a regular seat so that only a perimeter wall of foam is left on all sides, and then fill the middle with an air bag/tube of some sort?

Good idea! Might be worth a shot.

I tend to ride with quite a low down position when riding my Coker. And Coker positions are getting more stretched out and more bike like. It makes sense as it spreads your weight out and lowers your centre of gravity.

Bikes are often ridden for many hours, whereas it’s only recently that long distance unicycling has developed widespread appeal. So expect the bikers to know what they’re doing when they design things like seats and body position. You wouldn’t see people riding serious distances on bikes that have a position as upright as a unicycle. It would be very uncomfortable.