Yesterday my Schlumpf wheel and frame arrived from Germany. The other parts I took from my 24 Muni.
Rim: 26 inch KH freeride, with the stupid holes.
Tires: Schwalbe Mudy Mary, 26x2.5. It is 67! mm wide on the KH rim. Weight 1 kg, and HUGE rolling resistance, great for leg training
Cranks: KH moment 125/150
Saddle: KH freeride, with T-bar.
Brake: Magura HS33.
Today was the big day, the first ride on my new toy:)
The plan is to first get familiar with freemounting in high gear and riding in high gear. Shifting on the fly I will practice later, on a soft surface, not tarmac!
I first practiced riding of, from the wall in the backyard, just like my uni learning days three years ago
It didn’t took long before I could ride of, maybe 10 minutes.
Freemounting in high gear also didn’t take long to master, maybe another ten minutes.
I was ready for an evening ride around in the neighborhood, so I took my baby for a few km’s ride on smooth tarmac.
First few hunderd meters were a bit of a struggle, but then the ride became smoother and faster, I even overtook a slow cyclist:)
I think I am in love with the uni :o
A few things I noticed, apart from the speed of course:
- I really don’t want to UPD on full speed.
- The pedalling feels really heavy, it feels more like a 1:2 gearing. Maybe its the big slow rolling tire, maybe the hub efficiency? I am not going to change the tire yet, I need some good leg training.
- The high speed gives a good straight line stability.
Some things I did NOT notice.
- The hub does have some slop, but I did not notice it while riding.
- I did not notice the forward pulling of the frame that some people mentioned.
After a few km’s I dismounted and shifted to low gear. Now that feld really awkward, my balance was completely of.
I will keep you updated on my next ride.
This weekend I will try to ride some easy forest road in high gear.