Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

Florian stopped the BIKE hubs production and sold the business to a german company, but not the unicycle hub !

These were no bike hubs but shiftable geared bottom brackets. But yeah, they’re now produced by Haberstock Mobility.

Lol. End of summer? I’ll believe it when I see it.

I’ll post a photo of mine for you when i get it:D

There isn’t a firm date of release for the new hub yet. But definitely it is being worked on. Florian is a busy guy (lots of non-unicycle projects too). The hub contain small parts that for production are produced by 3rd party suppliers (still made in Switzerland). Sourcing those has been a challenge but we’re getting there. Will let everyone know once we have a better idea of release date for the new hub.

Deal.

Btw, end of summer doesn’t mean this December either. :roll_eyes: Or end of next summer…

Maybe Florian believes in climate change and hopes for an all year summer:D
We’ll see. But since he did not have the time to finish them last year, he promised to finish them this year. Now he even announced it officially on his website, so I have high hopes…

Urgent help needed!

I really need help for a friend, I can’t seem to figure out his problem, we just skyped for 20 minutes and I’ve never seen this happen on a Schlumpf hub.

He’s been riding his hub on a KH36 for about 3 months, riding 165mm Moments, brakeless. No muniing on it at all, only road riding (keep in mind roads are rough here, but not enough to break a hub). He’s not a heavy guy also, probably around 160lbs. The hub’s serial is M0714 if I remember well, it’s somewhere in the 700.

His problem is very particular, his hub works well in second gear, no problem there. But, sometimes when he gets back on the first gear, the hub will “partially” engage. Everybody knows how much of a rev there is when it changed gear right? Well, on his hub, sometimes it will engage properly, but sometimes it will have that big play like the “between-the-two-gears-play” while being on first gear, so when he rides, he has that crazy amount of freewheeling in his cranks that obviously can’t be controled.

Has this happenned to anyone? He’s sending an email to Florian, I just wanted to see if it happenned, I wanted to open it and see, but we want to keep the warranty on his hub, just waiting to be an official Schlumpf service point to do this (I wish).

He should shoot me a short video to help the post.

Thanks!

Make sure the bearing caps are tight, although that usually manifests as a problem in high gear rather than low gear. And make sure your buttons are adjusted well and that your cranks are tight; a loose crank or crank bolt can push out on the buttons and cause freewheeling.

Strange to have it freewheeling in low gear, but the only obvious thing to check for me apart these stated by Tom is to do a 24-switch check prescribed by the instruction.

Buttons are well installed, cranks are tight, bearing holders are tight.

Here’s the video, I hope it helps. He sent a message to Florian, just waiting an answer obviously :stuck_out_tongue:

If that’s the full range of freewheeling motion, it may be within normal operating parameters. That doesn’t seem completely out of whack for what I’ve seen on Schlumpfs.

I get a fair amount of play when I downshift. Maybe not as much as in the video, but I’ve never set it up and looked at it like that. I’ll have to do that.

Play is 30° so it seems only half of the fingers are switched !

Probably internal seizing due to lack of oil

I just contacted a dealer, too, and was told, “Unfortunately there are no Schlumpf hubs available currently. We are hoping they will be available soon.”

So here’s to hoping that I can buy one soon…

Edit: After fully catching up on this thread, I’m excited to see the next generation of hubs, later this summer.

Even though the hub is only 2 months old? I highly doubt it would be seized already, it’s not like it’s a hub that was sitting for years at UDC either. It’s number M0714. He gets the same amount of play you would when shifting, but this is while being on first gear, he can’t ride with that.

Certainly not normal, and not within specs. The play (mind you Tholub: not when switching gears but being in first gear) should be a tiny fraction of that.

Perhaps not seized in the narrow sense of the word, but I guess that part of the shifting mechanism doesn’t move laterally. Maybe (just a wild guess) a stray metal fragment is ‘floating around’ in the oil, and after a few months of use ended up in a place where it restricts movement, causing this behaviour.

I’ve had the same problem recently!

My hub became tricky. There is no problem while shifting to high gear and riding in high gear. But when I shift to low gear, then the pedals keep alternating between two angular positions. At each half-revolution of the wheel, cranks go around 30° forward or backward, what makes the uni uncontrolable.

I thought that some part of the hub’s clutching system might have taken a rounded shape… I emailed Florian Schlumpf who told me that there are no parts inside the hub that can be damaged easily…

I’m waiting for his answer to know if my hub is still under warranty. But in any case I will send it to him for repair. My hub is Number 0240 so a lot older than yours. It has been used almost everyday for 4 years.

does this happen at each catch point?

There are little spring loaded catches in the hub if I’m not mistaken, these are supposed to catch at around 24 different points, so if you shift - move the pedals shift back - move the pedals - etc. you should be able to get the pedals around the stationary wheel in 24 shifts.

Is this slop consistent around the whole wheel, a portion, or only one catch point?

Problematic hub update!

So, the hub was sent out to Florian. He had a look at it. The problem is due to a misinstallation of the gear buttons. On the video everthing is fine. My guess is that my friend rode the hub for a long distance without noticing a loose crank.

The engagement pins (8 total in the hub) were only partially engaged and the corners of the pins ended up breaking. The broken bits of the pins went into the mecanism and blocked 6 of the 8 pins! Meaning his first gear was only holding with 2 pins!

6 pins had to be replaced and the grey flange had to be replaced for a total of 425CHF.

Make sure your buttons are well installed! I never had any problems with mine, I have 3 years of intense Muniing on it. His had only 3 months of road riding.