Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

Somewhat along the lines of Kris’s answer, I think you have to be a novice at Schlumpf riding to fully notice the effect. Once you’re more proficient, you correct for it automatically, and it becomes difficult to single out the effect from the other reactions that a unicycle has. Still, for me, a non-geared unicycle feels more “quiet” or “neutral” than a geared one.

I agree with this. Even though I now ride the geared uni with more confidence, it’s still a different kind of workout. It’s also mentally challenging the way my non-geared unis were when I was new. I like this additional challenge.

new stuff arrived

are they marvelous?

I have two hubs on the way as well :sunglasses:

You’re not building a bike, are you? :wink:

Or a 4 speed?

Another effect I just realized; this is probably why using the brake in high gear is so much more difficult. As your pedal pressure moves forward and back, the frame will want to move forward and back with it, which is what causes the feeling of back and forth over-compensation that I often experience.

Yes, I have experienced this effect a lot as well. It is particularily strong when going down a long slope on the geared 36er (in high gear) at high speeds when you have to worry a lot about the forces introduced by the brakes versus the forces introduced by the gearing when breaking by foot. It can get very hard not to lose control and feels pretty scary. Did that make any sense?

I remember experiencing that sensation you have Tholub when braking (back pedal) in high gear. It was off putting initially but became completely negligible when I installed my Magura Rim brake and started to use it effectively. When climbing in high gear (especially when I get up off the saddle for a little more torque) the same sensation can be felt- however, with an effective Muni/touring handle set up to keep you anchored to the uni it is not a problem.
Mark

Here’s a link to a summary of the changes we are adding on this batch of the KH/Schlumpf hubs:

The key improvements include improved dust protection for the bearings and spoke holes that are now chamfered on both sides

Besides experience gained from another year of use, the increased dust protection is thanks in part to a review of the hubs used on the 2010 Evolution of Balance award winner’s dusty 2400 km trip from Durban to Cape Town, South Africa.

We are working on a hollow M12 axle bolt, with an 8 mm hex, that will be supplied for cranks installation. That is not available yet, but stay tuned as it should come out over the next while.

Kris

Very awesome, this will help a lot.

Now don’t get all freaky people, but I just heard back from Bronson:

Since I didn’t sell mine, it looks I’ll be riding it. You’ll be able to gauge my success by how fast or slow it goes up for sale :roll_eyes:

Tomorrow is my birthday, so I’m going riding with the family on one of my favorite trails :slight_smile:

Happy Birthday & Guni Wishes Ben!

Happy B-day Ben!

I hope you had a great ride today.

Glad to hear you’re getting that KH/Schlumpf whether you want it or not. It will provide you with a whole new universe of challenges, frustrations & fun.

Meanwhile, I’m still trying to master mine. :roll_eyes:

Presently it’s in a 29" KH XC rim with 29x2.4 Maxxis Ardent and 150mm Moment Cranks. (I previously had a Big Apple 28x2 on the rim, which was VERY squirrley, but fast on paved bike trails.) Like (some) others have said, a geared 29er isn’t ideal for real MUni trails, but I planned to mostly use it for commutes … until I tried some single track! YEEEEE HAW!!! :smiley:

Since I was worried about all the dust getting in the hub, since I wasn’t overly thrilled by the play in hub on trails, and since I didn’t ever see myself using overdrive on the trails, I had Josh build me a MUni-dedicated 29er wheelset with Nimbus wide (Steel) 36-hole hub, KH Freeride Rim, & WTB Dissent 29x2.5 Tire. (Josh talked me into the Dissent & boy am I glad he did. Thanks Josh. ;)) I put on some 165/137mm moments, and took it out on some local trails this morning.

What a ride and what a HOOT!

With this new wheelset my KH29 is so much less susceptible to being bounced around by loose rock, and it sails through the sketchy bits more smoothly than my N24 w/ 24x3 Wildlife. And it’s SO MUCH faster … it’s now “Hang on Betsy!

Even though I think I now have a new favorite ride in my stable (:)), I’m still not going to give up on the Guni thing. I’m just gonna keep taking it slow & easy, as I continue to build strength & confidence on the 29er. …if I could just find some nice smooth sandy fire roads around here, I could start making good use of the overdrive while off-road.

Lots to learn, but still fun, at every turn.

Looking forward to riding with you in Utah.

Cheers,

Bert

Hey Bert,

It sounds like a blast! Have fun with your new ride, even if it is not a guni.

Scott

Funny, but yesterday, on my KH29/Schlumpf, I switched my Ardent OUT for my Big Apple 2.0 to do a 35+ mile bike path ride. I find the Ardent harder to control on flat surfaces, and the BA much LESS squirrely. Different strokes! Anyway, just funny to hear you swapping the exact same two tires around on the exact same uni.

I ordered my Schlumpf in April, and after a couple unanswered email queries as to my order status over the last few months, it finally shipped, and arrived this morning. My LBS (United Cycle) built the wheel for my KH-29 (w T-Bar+Magura) this afternoon, and I just got back from my first ride this evening.

Wow.

I bought my first uni this last winter, a KH-24, on impulse. By the spring I had the basics down, but after years riding/racing bikes I found the 24" too slow to really go anywhere (I don’t find high-cadence pedalling appealing on any cycle). So I got a KH-29, which improved the situation quite a bit. I find the 29" at 1-1 w 150mm cranks to be just about perfect for the casual XC trails I’m interested in riding (some of the steeper hills are a bit of a challenge, but doable w practice). The 10km of paved bike paths and gravel trails to get to, and between, the trails on an average 25km ride however, are still a bit of a slog at 1-1. Schlumpf order placed.

Now, obviously, I’m still a comparative newb at this point. I mean, my free-mounting is pretty solid (but restricted to a roll-back mount), and I can roll over roots/curbs, brake down hills w the Magura, idle, and mostly ride backwards - but that’s about it at this point.

So, I figured I could start out without having to learn to switch gears with my feet, just by getting off and pushing the button and remounting. Yeah, uhh, KH-29 + high gear + rollback mount + me = FAIL. On the plus side, the Total Lack Of Movement resulting from my scrawny mass standing on the pedal seems like it could be a great way to start learning to static-mount :wink:

Plan B. Using my heel to hit the button and shift for the first time while riding proved easier than I thought. The resulting lack of reaction from the machine given the traditional force applied to the pedals resulted in an almost instantaneous UPD. Starting with a little more speed, the fifth time was the charm. I honestly don’t know if I could have done it without the T-Bar to hold on to though.

Now, my first reaction is that it feels like someone filled the wheel with led or something. My intuition had me expecting the increased pressure required to turn the pedals, but the feeling of wheel momentum, both while starting and stopping, came as a real surprise. It feels like big heavy 43" wheel or something!

My second reaction was, WOAH ZOMG FAST! For the first time, I really wished i was wearing knee+elbow pads along with my helmet+gloves, and likely some footwear with better ankle support. Now I will stand a real chance of keeping up with casual cyclists on the bike paths, as opposed to just the joggers.

Reading here, I was worried about the amount of play/slop the gearing would introduce into the equation, and that I wouldn’t initially like the feel. I don’t know if it’s just because it’s brand new, but I barely have a millimetre or two of play in the pedals. Riding in 1-1 feels almost indistinguishable from before, aside from feeling a little heavier (due to the increased hub weight?). I did notice the slight delay of engagement during actual shifting, but when riding at speed w the T-Bar to lean on, it didn’t bother me nearly as much as I would have expected. Though that could just be due to my substantial pre-occupation with frantic pushing on the pedals while trying to keep the machine upright, and I may notice it more in the future? :wink:

The only problem I had was that I must not have torqued the one shift button in quite hard enough, because it kept rotating out, forcing me to return home (I will bring the 2mm key+tool next time).

Anyhow, just wanted to post my initial reactions, and I’m really looking forward to spending some more time on this thing now! :slight_smile:

Interesting…

Hey Steveyo,

That is interesting, indeed. Maybe I should switch back to the BA 2.0 and give it another go. The BA is what I started out with, and I haven’t been back since.

My rationale in going with the Ardent 2.4 was to increase the size of my footprint in order to resist twist, and to improve shock absorption. I felt like it played out that way, but maybe with a good bit more guni miles under my belt I might find the BA less squirrely than I remember. I also swear that I found it easier to climb paved paths with the Ardent in 1:1 – when it was pressured up a bit (maybe 45-50 lbs). I wonder if the fact that I am most used to riding MUni on a 24 x 3 Wildlife left me wanting more rubber on the road, and convinced it would be better?

Just curious, what pressures do you usually run in your BA & Ardent for on-road & off-road use?

Cheers,

Bert

Nice…

Hey Chris,

Yep, “WOW” pretty much describes it.

I wonder if your relatively limited amount of time in 1:1 on 1 wheel might actually help you adapt to 1:1.55 better than those of us who’ve been “stuck in 1:1” for 40 years or so?

I remember my first ride in overdrive, and how hard it was to get the blasted thing moving. A gentle downhill was essential for starting in high gear. But eventually I got to liking it – although it was not anywhere near as smooth and predictable as my 36er. Indeed, I found myself hopping off the front now and then for no apparent reason – except maybe when I came to the realization of just how fast I was going. (Fortunately with the extra height of a 29er, I almost always seem to get my feet out and under me.)

I also remember how after about an hour in overdrive on a bike path I stopped, switched back to 1:1 and could barely ride the thing. It was an absolute herky-jerky nightmare.

It’s easy to get cerebral about what is going on with learning overdrive (i.e., avoiding over-corrections that get amplified 1.55x and getting used to the play and extra inertia in the pedals), but I’m still not sure what the problem is with going back to 1:1 after an extended time in high gear.

Anybody got any insights into why it’s sometimes hard to go back to 1:1? Is it undercorrection followed by overcorrection?

At any rate, good luck with the new ride Chris, and congrats!

-Bert

Hey Bert, thanks for the bday remembrance, now if only my body wasn’t feeling so old :astonished:

Had a great birthday ride with the family, the boy and I rode muni and the ladies were on FS mountain bikes, eight miles of classes Southeast single track.

Anyway, we will be out in SLC August 18th, with free days to ride on Aug 19/20 (Fri-Sat).

I may have my 26 guni ready by then, otherwise it’ll be my tried and trusted KH 29.

I use 55 lbs or so in the BA and had probably 35-40 in the Ardent, when it’s on the guni. When I did the SingleSpeed-a-Palooza, it was on the ungeared version of the KH29, with 25-30 lbs. So they’re both pretty hard.