Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

No, they aren’t even produced yet. Schlumpf has no capacity to produce them and seems to search for partners to join the production.

2 Likes

Bummer! Someday I hope

Second hand is your only option at the moment.

There seems to exist a freewheel Schlumpf hub by bicymple

Hm… are you seeing that on their website? It looks like they only have that pennyfarthing (and what a pennyfarthing it is!) and one other product.

Also, another question. I presume that Schlumpf geared hubs were produced at one point, considering that people own them. I also assume that they haven’t been in production for quite a while. How realistic would it be to lay hands on a decent quality one? I have no idea how widespread these things are.

Yes, the penny farthing is available with a freewheel Schlumpf hub. Look at the options

1 Like

Thanks, missed that.

As far as I know, most of the hubs are still in great shape. There is few risk you get a broke one.
Hubs are still produced, a few at a time. Florian told me a year ago there should be new series soon.

1 Like

Has anybody had any luck doing maintenance on their Schlumpf hub or getting maintenance done? I have one that I bought in 2008 that I don’t use anymore because it has a habit of randomly freewheeling. This happens quite frequently when downshifting. I suspect that the innards are gummed up, but maybe something is bent, or, ???

I loved the hub when I got it and I would like to be able to trust it again. Upshifting still feels like magic. Thoughts?

You should probably try to send it back to Florian Schlumpf so I can fix it. If you’re in the USA, you can send it to @jaco_flans (Canada) :slight_smile:

I am in the US so I will try contacting @jaco_flans - thanks!

2 Likes

Talking about that, I wonder if there is a benefit in flushing the grease (trying to) and putting fresh grease in there? Like a car gearbox happily takes a flush once in its lifetime. Also, after all the advice is to just add grease to it. Where does it go though? It just leaks out slowly?

It looks like there’s a used one for sale right now in the Trading Post. It’s attached to a 36" unicycle. The price seems good.

Nice way to put it :wink:
I think he said he didn’t want to sell the hub on its own.

Thanks!

1 Like

You can’t really flush grease out of a Schlumpf. The only way to get the old crap out is to take it appart, and if you’re taking the outer shell off, might aswell take that whole thing appart and clean it properly!

As @Maxence said, I do complete maintenance on them. I’ve replied to your message on Facebook @Bruce_Dawson!

3 Likes

Talking about grease, how much do you put in there? And how often?

I add about 2ml whenever it stops leaking.

1 Like

Hi all, thought I would bring up the disc brake sclumpf option again. Yes I am the creator of the first in frame uni/muni/schlumpf in frame disc brake adapter. I have had this option for many years now and it has been copied by major uni manufacturers and again for the schlumpf hub. I thank you all for making these ideas available to all uinicyclists, it is my hobby, I love it. Unfortunately I have found that I can not outrun a UPD on my first generation Schlumpf anymore. So it must go to someone who can use this fine machine. It can be seen earlier in this post @1514/2398, 2260/2398, and Pierrox’s build of my newer version @2364/2398. Well cared for no problems, make me an offer (street version square taper #00102)(original 29" schlumf frame, cracks and all)
Lobbybopster

1 Like

I hope you didn’t get hurt learning this.