Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

Thanks for the feedback! I suspect the 36" uni would be more practical for what I want to do, but I do some hobby machining and think it will be a fun project. I was thinking a 24" wheel with a 1.5 gear ratio would ride like a 36. I plan to use my 24" Muni frame with rim brake. I don’t really want to go more than 12 mph. So the 29 might be too fast, but maybe with 150 cranks and easy cadence, might be ok. Thanks again, could end up with a Schlumpf hub or 36", but this is a good experiment for the winter.

A g24 muni was also something I considered as I don‘t want to go very very fast, with the possibility of downshifting for inclines or complicated Trail parts. I find it easier to steer a small wheel, which is why I am not interested in a 36er.(I can‘t downshift that to 24“ equivalent either)
What are your experiences with g24? Is it worth it?

does a G24 in high gear rides like a 36er : no !

Owned a G26, a G29 and now a G36 but tried the former G24 of Pierrox once and if it has the same speed/pedaling-cadence ratio, the comparison stops there.
The big wheel rolls way better over bumps or other floor irregularities because it’s big and it has somme momentum.
The G24 is fine for perfect floor, but is way more sensitive to bumps and holes, and in high gear the wheel wants to go in front or behind the wheel at low speed. The forward/backward balance window is smaller.
It gets better when the wheel is larger, but then you have to deal with big virtual wheels when riding in high gear.
My G36 is a virtual 55.6" in high gear.

The only advantages of the G24 is the possibility to shift down for extremely complicated parts or very hilly areas, to reach trails that are far away from home and the space it takes in a car or a bus.

My Schlumpf was in a 24" wheel for quite a while. And honestly? I didn’t ride it that much. In high gear, it’s NOT a 36". The 24" wheel loves to stop suddenly, blocked by a hole or bump you didn’t notice. And within seconds, you’re flying. Literally. And then you crash on the ground.

In my case, it also meant losing my muni. Which I liked. The extra weight didn’t make enjoyable off road. In the end, I put a 24" road tire on it… and the whole thing gathered dust.

I love it in the 29" though. But it’s a road/town uni, with a nearly slick (and ultra light) tire. It’s highly usable with the 137mm cranks - though one day I’ll graduate to 125mm - wether in low gear or high. Since then, the 24" is a extremely enjoyable muni again.

Even in a 29er, in high gear it still doesn’t feel anything like a 36er in terms of rollover on bumps. I have to be far more careful commuting on the G29 because it has more of a tendancy to cause issues when I hit a pothole. On the (ungeared) 36er I barely feel any road bumps at all, but on the G29 I feel every single one! So all that being said, I can imagine a G24 would be a bit ridiculous in this respect :smiley:

Bear in mind that I run a fairly skinny, slick tyre (Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 2") pumped up hard as a rock, but my 36er also has a slick (TA) tyre that I also pump up hard as a rock, so I doubt my tyre choice has a lot to do with this feeling.

I’ve finished the guni project that I went on (and on) about earlier. I have moved my Schlumpf hub from a 26" to a 29". I used the 26" guni for a year in 2012 before a 24" Oracle took it’s place.

Yesterday I took the new 29 guni out for a ride. It was very slippery, but because of the studded tyre I didn’t notice it before I fell off the first time. After that I was a bit cautious, but after a while I got quite comfortable in high gear. I didn’t have the nerve to go anywhere near as fast as I could have. I was thinking that a geared hub is best suited for commuters on flat terrain (who is not in a hurry) or for crazy people. I can see now how it makes sence to put a Schlumpf hub in a 36’ wheel if you’re in the first group (I’m not going to do it). Shifting with 137 cranks is much easier than with the 150 cranks I had before. Down shifting is harder than up shifting, but I got it after a little practice.

Video of the build and test ride: Riding a unicycle part 45: Building and riding a 29 geared unicycle - YouTube

I took to my G29 like a fish to water, and was blasting it at high speed in no time! So I’m surprised that you found it hard to go too fast on it after your experience with it in 26ers. Maybe again it’s because 29ers are generally built as lighter, faster machines with thinner tyres and rims? My 29er feels significantly more… Twitchy? Than anything else I’ve ridden, but I sort of like that feeling.

Anyhoo, I’ve got a bit of a problem with my Schlumpf. I don’t think it’s a game-changer but thought I’d ask just in case! I whipped my wheel off today to give everything a good clean after a ridiculously muddy ride yesterday. After transferring the frame and wheel mud to my kitchen floor, I realised something! There’s some sort of dust/bearing cap on the side of the hub, and it seems to be very loose, to the point that it must have been basically held in by my frame leg. I’ve tried putting it back in place and giving it a few taps to see if it wedges back in, but it doesn’t seem to want to stick.

My dad suggested gluing it, but I’m not sure if this is a good idea. Can anyone chime in? If I’m OK to glue it, what sort of glue would I be looking at? :smiley:

You can glue it - will work fine. Many have done that.

I glued mine with superglue. I probably used too much, because the wheel didn’t spin as it should afterwards but after a while it was fine.

Thanks both, I’ll get it done tonight/tomorrow :slight_smile: For now it can sit in my kitchen looking cool though :sunglasses:

Schlumpf Hub Waterproof?

Does anyone know how waterproof the Schlumpf hub is? Is it okay to ride in the rain?

Assuming the dust caps are sealed (see my above thingy) I think it should be fine. Just keep it greased - some people grease the outside too (along the seams) to make sure water doesn’t worm its way in, possibly a good idea if you’re going to be leaving it outside (parked at work on the bike racks or something).

I’d be interested to know the effects of leaving it outside though - I work long shifts and don’t have anywhere inside to leave it when working :frowning:

No Problem. Many Muni riders ride it in the mud. The hub has sealings. Just be sure not to clean it with the high pressure water jet …
And keep it well greased. The more grease you put in, the more leaks out and the less water comes in :wink:

Ask Jogi. He often has his unis on deck of his sailyacht and uses some special grease/wax for sealig all of his unis if i remember it right.

I would be more worried about water ingress from bringing it in from the cold.

I add more grease when it no longer weeps from around the dust cap. I would not use a pressure washer on it, or submerge it but would not worry about some water splashes or rain.

That’s pretty much as I imagined Saskatchewanian, I mean geared bike hubs are renowned for being some of the most weatherproof machines going, and the Schlumpf presumably is almost as, if not just as, sealed-off as one of those!

I’ve just restarted riding my Guni to work now it’s stopped snowing and hailstoning all the time, and the weather is still a bit naff, so this is definitely a relevant topic for me right now!

The hubs are still surprisingly clean inside when doing rebuilds. Mine still had the grease and no outside elements inside when I took it appart after 2 years of Muni. The bearings get dirty, but dirt/water needs to go through 3 bearings in order to get in the hub. It’s very well done!

I do a bit of Muni on mine but it’s mostly a road machine, so that’s good to know :sunglasses:

Not always 3, it depends on the way chosen by dirt/water, 2 samples there

Funny how that first picture is my hub hahaha. The bearings were completely destroyed, but the inside of the hub is still very clean in mine. I only use it about 6 months a year though, but I used to be pretty rough on it.é

Those other pictures are horrible though, never seen a hub so bad.

I didn’t remember it was yours, I thought it was Corbin’s. Second one is Martin’s after a ride “in” the sea, salt is not good, definitively