Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

Am I wrong in thinking that if the cover on the outside of the hub came loose, that the oil/grease in the gear chamber is still contained? and that the internal bearings are still contained?

Wrong for oil/grease : if the cover comes loose –> oil/grease leakage :angry:
? for internal bearings –> if cover comes loose, hub can disengage more easily in low gear :angry:

I put a little lithium grease in the space behind where the cover goes and put the cover back. It seems to be staying in place so far, and no more leaking. Not sure what is supposed to hold the cover in place. Seems like the suction from the grease is holding it there.

I haven’t noticed any difference in shifting or any other behavior of the hub.

Depends what the debris is, eh?

I had a blast Schlumpf-ing on the trail today! I wasn’t planning on filming, but I found an mtb guy who was happy to film me riding in high gear, and he stayed close so it really gives a good sense of speed! :smiley:

(Bike cam starts about :48) Btw, it was just slightly above freezing when I got there at 7:45am (37 F) but in less than 2 hours it had shot up more than 40 degrees, to past 80! :astonished:

My KH 26 Guni is for sale:

Don’t cry for me, at least I tried, now you can try it too :slight_smile:

Serious inquiries only, thanks :wink:

sniff. . . . sniff:(

I have been planning on putting a Schlumpf into a 26" wheel for a long time but am really starting to think that geared 36 would be the way to go.

I have a hub already, it just needs some bearing work to get back into commission. I wish I could afford two.

I wish I could afford it @NurseBen. I do want to upgrade my KH24 GUni to a KH26 but plan on doing it with my current KH-Schlumpf Hub. If you’re thinking about parting it I might be interested in purchasing the stuff I need to upgrade…

Do you mean a G36er would be the “way to go” for distance/road riding? For MUni, the G26er would be the ideal way to go, imo. :slight_smile:

I was originally thinking a G26 would be the ultimate do-anything machine but I have been doing a lot of riding on the 36 lately trying to keep up to Nathan on his G36. I do OK ungeared but it would be nice to have longer cranks for the climbs then shift up for the flats and cruise.

Then I think about proper MUni rides where you need the smaller wheel for large sections but could still upshift for the easier bits.

I think what i really need is two hubs.

When I’m out on the trail with my G26er, in 1:1 it feels much like my good ol’ 24" KH workhorse (with the 65mm LM rim and all). It’s super maneuverable, nimble and can take on the tech sections like my 24" and even stands up well on drops, hops and jumps. But then, when I kick in the nitrous oxide, she takes off like a bat outta hell, and becomes a virtual 39er! For me, it’s the best of both worlds! :smiley:

What Tyre

Hey MuniAddict
What tyre are you running on your GMuni again?
Cheers

It depends on what riding you want to do. For me nowadays, I ride mostly 36er terrain, so clearly the G36 is my top unicycle. If you actually ride a muni more than a 36er, then your first guni should be 24 or 26. Affording two or more of these things is currently a pain - I wish they were cheaper.

If somehow I couldn’t have a G36 anymore, I would switch to bike, not ungeared 36 - that’s how good it is for me.

—Nathan

Maxxis Ardent love…

Hi Rob, unless MuniAddict has changed his tyre (correct me if I’m wrong Terry…) he’s running the 26 X 2.4" Maxxis Ardent (see above…). Great tyre, what I also run on my KH26ss, and used to run on my 26guni before my schlumpf migrated to my 36er.

[Start Turbo Threadjack]

I coincidently have a brand new 2.4" ardent for sale (surplus to my requirements, going cheap) if you are in the market for one…i’m selling my 26er downsizing the fleet, so the tyre won’t get used. PM if you’re interested, and we can easily work out a deal on the tyre. I’m currently based in Radelaide.

[EndTurbo Threadjack]

Cheers,

Dmac

I’m running the Ardent 2.4 w/folding bead. Super light but still very solid and high volume enough for hard tech and drops.
Here’s a recent pic from a local trail. :slight_smile:

I searched for this because I’m sure someone has asked before but I was wondering about the safety of using a Schlumpf hub in winter? I’m not worried about the cold or snow, but rather the salt and grime that covers the roads. I was wondering if anyone has ridden their Schlumpf all winter (I’m talking about real winter, not California winter) with or without any issues. Also, if anyone has asked Florian about this and gotten a response. I want to keep riding my Schlumpf all winter but its not worth ruining it to do so. Thanks guys!

Snow

I was riding my G29 in on a snow and ice covered track today with the white stuff falling on me today… was great :sunglasses:

There was no question of it being fun Alan :slight_smile:

You could use a light silicone spray to help protect the hub from the salt and grime. I do that whenever I am riding in super wed/muddy situations. It is also a good idea to keep a whole lot of fresh oil coursing through your hub. I flush mine out with new oil about every 3 months. If i was in your situation I would make it every month.

mark