Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

I have had my hub for over 2 years and have a lot of miles on it between 1,000 and 2,000 miles (I don’t really keep track but it has been in a geared 29er then to a geared 36er then to a geared 29er again, used it on and off road), no problems with mine except the crank bolts (crank bolts being easy to round out is my only complaint with my hub), I need to order some more bolts.

I have about 2200 miles plus Beau has ridden maybe 1000 miles on two hubs. About 1500 miles each I guess. Still going strong and shifting well.

My Schlumpf 29" (second generation of the cotterless hub) has done 1200 km since December 2005, and has never had any problem.

My Schlumpf 36" (KH/Schlumpf hub, so ISIS interface) has done 1028 km since January 2009. It was out of commission early on for four months due to the infamous bearing problem- repaired under warranty which took four months. Otherwise trouble-free.

I was riding with Gilby the other day at U Games and noticed that he still had the same Schlumpf 29er he as used on several tours. He verified that it is the same original one he had since 2005, had it rebuilt by Florian on the Laos tour in 2006, etc. Still going strong.

I have the same generation Schlumpf/Frame. Mainly only use it for racing though, and on a couple of Unitours.

I was just rooting through an old thread on the Hour record and I found this comment from early 2005:

Seems pretty well predicted to me!

When were Schlumpf hubs first around?

Sam

According to the news section of Florian’s website they were at least around from February 2005 onwards. He was on promotion tour with the original hub back then.

The first KH-Schlumpf hubs shipped January 2008.

These schlumpf hubs are awesome ! I got mine last year in April (on my first 36"), and rode over 3000 km before I got the bearing problem 1 year later.

While my hub was in Switzeland, I chose to buy another one, so I got 2 hubs back instead of one! The new one went on my 36", and the repaired one on a 24". Yesterday in a small competition, I felt something wrong in my 24"; the bearing problem is back, with the bigger bearings this time.

I wonder if I can keep using my 24" even with 1 bearing loose, the other one is alright. I emailed Florian about that, and I’m looking for a temporarily solution before the winter (I’ll ship it back then if necessary).

This bring me to another question, is the schlumpf rideable in cold conditions (-20°c) ?

Thanks !
J-F

This means the big bearings are still not the solution ? What kind of ride to you practice ? Can you put some photos please to understand better your new concern ?

I rode the whole last winter without problems.
below -5°C I used 5ml oil every month - that speed up shifting.
as I remember I did not ride below -12°C…

Can you be specific about your bearing problem? So far, I haven’t seen any issues with the near bearings and larger housing.

If the inner bearing is loose, the hub will move slightly side to side (ie: towards the brake pads).

corbin

Here’s a video showing the problem;

http://www.vimeo.com/14222055

As you can see it looks like the bearing is loose from the hub, not from the axe. Sometimes the bearing turns with the wheel, when it is supposed to be fix.

I did 300km crosscrountry since the repair, and I was smooth. These was my first rides with a geared muni.

Does not look like the bearing is defective, but the whole bearing is loose from the hub. That’s different than the old problem - so you can’t say “the bearing problem is back”. It is a new problem.

…oh no…I’m not the only one…

Mine has got this problem, it appeared after a hundred miles or so and can only be due to the outer case being machined slightly oversize (it’s I/D is .10mm oversize - not slightly at all!!).

I know I should have returned it however having waited so long for my first hub I really did not want another 6 months of messing about (it will need a new casing).

So my solution has been to cut a strip of .05mm shim the width of the bearing (I forget the size, approx 8mm I think) and the length of the circumference and carefully pushed it between the bearing outer and the hub case. It was a push/wiggle fit and I worked some bearing lock into gap first, then to ensure it stays there I peened over the edge of the case where the ‘webs’ are using a centre punch.

I know this sounds like an almighty bodge but as an old-school engineer I’m happy doing this sort of thing (actually I’m not at all happy about having to do it!!).

So far I’ve done about 400 miles on it since then and it’s been fine.

I do not recommend anybody else does this, unfortunately you should return the hub immediately.

same problem…

I visited Florian and showed him the problem, he removed the bearing and fit it in again with loctite sealand (I´d have done the same if I would not have been arround there)
since that time I have no problem with it!

What are the serial numbers of the affected hubs? Maybe there’s a certain range.

m0286

m0303

Sorry about this misunderstanding, I had the same problem 4 month ago that’s why I said that. What a badluck, I’ll try the locktight solution and see if it will be strong enough overtime.

M228

I’m not seeing a pattern…

No does not look like there’s any pattern (so I’m not worried about my M0227 when your M0228 is affected). 1000 km w/o problems so far.