Hi everyone. I just bought a new Schlumpf hub gear. It’s a brand-new unit—the rim-brake version, not the disc-brake one. Serial number: M1006. My problem is that I received the installation manual for an older design, whereas the bearing lock system on mine has been modified. On this one, two wedges secure the gear unit within the frame. The issue is that, because of these wedges, the frame’s bottom bracket shell cannot be bolted on flush. I assume I need to grind out some material from the shell so it sits flat. Do you know if this is the correct solution?
Also, the documentation doesn’t mention whether the unit needs to be filled with oil or if it comes pre-filled. How many syringe-fulls of oil does it require?
Thanks for your hel
p.
1 Like
This should help a bit:
4) Greater security against slippage of the knurled bearing.
There is now a physical block (small protruding nub) on the bearing that prevents possible slippage of the knurled bearing side in the bearing housing. This requires that the bottom half of the inside edge of the bearing housing does not have a lip. All KH frames produced since 2012 are compatible. Minor modification may be required for other frame bearing housings.
I’d contact Mad4One if I were you here. I think KH frames would have had a bearing cap that didn’t get raised up like you’re seeing in the photo, as KH stuff has always had a super nice flush fit.
I recall Marco saying he needs to know what hub version in order to prep his frames to fit. So I suspect there’s know filing needed.
Hub looks mint - enjoy!
(Edit: read you say it was a new unit - in that case email Florian for a manual that matches the unit you’ve just paid money for. Looking online there’s no PDFs for this model which seems odd. Perhaps the view was: figure it out for yourself (which has sadly been a bit of process across a lot of these generations)
Re oil - it’ll have come fully greased so no need to add any. But it does tend to leak out over time / riding so ballpark maintenance has it that you top up every 6 months or so - depending on how much you ride and how harsh conditions the hub gets taken through. I only topped mine up after a year + when it had gone through a wet winter.
1 Like
Ah well there we are. You’re sorted with Jakob on your case!
Yes, Jakob helped a lot. But I also want to thank those who passed my message on to him (Markus Büchel) and those who shared their experiences regarding the transmission (Louis Dubalen, Aurelien Paulmier, Roger Davies)—and, of course, you too. Thanks.
2 Likes