Schlumpf 36

Try 170 or even 175mm cranks. Using 140’s in 1.5 mode (56" effective wheel diameter) is equal to 90mm cranks on a direct drive coker.

cranksize discussion!

Florian sent me 170mm original schlumpf cranks. I still have cranks in different sizes from my old selfmade 36" uni. Pictures of the old one are here http://www.wuk.at/hochrad/berichte/einrad_hans.php (German sorry!)

I rode my old one with 125 and I loved it. I thought, that putting on the 170 mm cranks would be a waste of potential. I can always do that and I wanted to get the 170mm cranks from Florian, because I thought, that I would have problems with the shorter ones.
Maybe I exaggerated the difficulty in 1:1.5 mode. On Saturday I rode 15 km. I mounted shifted up and rode 7 km then I shifted down, made a U-turn, shifted up and rode back, shifted down and dismounted. No UPD all the way, all flat, a litte wind. Today I rode 28 km, I mounted, shifted up and rode 14 km. On the way back I shifted up and down a few times and had 1 UPD shifting up and 1 UPD shifting down. So I need to concentrate, when in 1:1.5 mode, but it is not impossible. I hope I will get used to it soon. I am happy to have the option to put on 170 mm cranks, and things will surely be much easier then, but I want to stay with the 140 mm for a while now.

I have not tried to change cranks on the Schlumpf and I am a bit anxious about it because I for sure do not want to ruin the hub. But maybe the 170ers will be my option in the end.

hans, that’s one hell of a unicycle you got yourself there :slight_smile:

Hans,

Thanks for posting the pictures of your setup. Does the wheel feel strong when you ride it or does it flex? Does anyone else have an opinion on Hans’ 4 cross pattern setup? I still have a lot to look into but if I were to go ahead with the schlumpf 36 it looks like my best option now is to order the tom miller spokes and follow Hans’ pattern and have a good wheelbuilder in my area assemble the wheel.

Dave,
Thanks for your emails and the post. I understand your position and think its great that you only wish to produce the best quality unicycles. If I have any other projects in mind I will be sure to contact you.

It feels strong enough, I do not feel it flex. I have a break and it does not rub. I did some short and steep uphill and there was no break rubbing.
Just remember the hub is wider than a standard Coker hub and the flanges are bigger so the wheel is a little stronger than a standard Coker wheel. I have an Airfoil rim, that adds to the wheel strength.

I am sure, the uni is strong enough for road riding. I do not plan to muni, jump or UPD with it :wink:

Hans-

Planning a UPD is contradictory.

I always plan on mine…the only thing I leave open is the exact time of occurence.

Am I the only person that doesn’t like super wide hubs or cranks with q-factor on a coker?

Yes they may increase the strength of the wheel so that fat people or people who want to do trials on their coker or stand on their wheel sideways can own a coker.

But they make it feel like riding a horse. It’s okay if you’ve got wide legs and ride horses a lot, but if your knees feel the right distance apart with a narrow hub, a wider hub just doesn’t feel nice. It feels all wiggly and inefficient too.

I noticed riding behind John H on the 10 hour 100 mile ride, he has cranks with a q factor and rides noticeably more wiggly than me.

I seem to remember Ken Looi said something similar about the wide hub a bit back, but I might be going mad.

Whilst theoretical strength is nice, if it’s at the expense of riding performance, then surely you have to ask whether it’s worth it for a road wheel, when even the stock coker doesn’t break when used for road riding.

Joe

I like narrow hubs too- but I don’t weigh much and I dont’ use brakes. I did have a quick ride on Beau Hoovers wide hub, and didn’t notice too much difference, although it was at relatively low speeds. I think long cranks affect wheel wobble more than Q-factor. Short cranks feel so smooth on the downhill. Some people tend to wobble more than others too- something I noticed alot on the AUT. People like Scot Cooper have virtually no wobble, Bronson, Nathan Hoover and I have a tiny amount, Andy C and Irene slightly more, and Beau wiggles all over the place but it doens’t seem to slow him down :stuck_out_tongue:

Re: Schlumpf 36

On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 15:23:32 -0600, harper wrote:

>hans wrote:
>> I do not plan to muni, jump or UPD with it
>
>Planning a UPD is contradictory.

But NOT planning a UPD is not.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“erectile function trumps public image - David Stone, commenting on the importance of seat comfort”