Sandwich Boards for trials?

I’ve got a building site about 80m from my house and I’ve found some nice boards of wood and perfectly sized planks to fit them that were in the bin. I’ve taken the nails out of the planks. Am I right in thinking that now I cut the boards to size, fit the planks along the top, attach some hinges, and finally attach some thick string or something on the bottom to stop it swinging open? If so, how big do the hings have to be? They’re $4AUS for some reasonably sized ones which I think is quite expensive. Will smaller ones be able to take the stress?

Thanks,
Andrew

On a totally unrelated topic, can monkeys ride unicycles? I’m sure they have the ability because they can swing around in the trees and everything so I guess the question really is have monkeys ever ridden unicycles? If so, has anyone got any pictures?

monkey riding a unicycle

The best I could do. Its not conclusive.

http://fancyfeet.freeyellow.com/monkey.html

http://pw1.netcom.com/~jeepers/circusset.html

Re: Sandwich Boards for trials?

Does it count if the monkey is riding a unicyclist?

I don’t know (but doubt) that monkeys ride unicycles, but offer my signature as to why they wouldn’t bother.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Sure they do- whenever I sadle up, I can feel 'em on my back.

-Christopher

Thanks everyone, now can you please answer my first question? Some interesting information and pictures there.

Thanks

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 07:48:32 -0600, rhysling
<rhysling.d8kya@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:

>andrew_carter wrote:
>> On a totally unrelated topic, can monkeys ride unicycles?
>
>Sure they do- whenever I sadle up, I can feel 'em on my back.

I don’t know why I thought your avatar depicted yourself.

Klaas Bil

I posted only a single copy of this message.

Some heavy duty strap hinges will hold the sandwich boards together. Remember you’re going to be jumping up on the boards so you don’t want to use wimpy hinges.

Here is a link to a strap hinge so you can see what I’m talking about
<http://www.cornerhardware.com/hardware/iteminfo.html?action=iteminfo&item=038613205215&cat_id=1475&gt;

I don’t know how big the strap hinge should be. A 6 inch hinge would probably be about the minimum size to use. Longer and bigger would be better.

I used some smallish ( 3 to 4 inches hinge length) ones without a problem at all, but I have 2 to 3 on each pair of boards.

Thanks John and Max, that’s exactly the sort of answer I was looking for.

I bought some hinges today and built my sandwich board. I’ve only used a little bit of strong to hold each side together so that won’t hold out for very long. Can anyone suggest anything else I could use that would be stronger? I tested it this afternoon but only for about 5 minutes because after that I jumped onto the sandwich board on a weird angle and it flung up and hit me in the leg. It really hurt and a lump popped up literally as soon as it happened that’s about 3mm high which is actually pretty big when you think about it. I should’ve been wearing my pads. Anyway, here’s the semi-final product (I’ll cut those planks down to size and change the string to something else). Those hinges seem to be holding up quite well.

Thanks,
Andrew

And all this time I thought you had gotten a gig as an advertisement on a unicycle. “Eat at Joes!”.

Seriously though, how exactly are sandwich boards used in trials? Any photos, videos?

Thanks,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

Get some thick rope, tie big knots in it, drill holes in the wood, and prop it up that way, it just works )and looks( so much better.

Re: Re: Sandwich Boards for trials?

Dude -you seriously gotta watch the KH work shop vid’s that Jeff Lutkus has posted… lemmy see… I have the link… right…

Here!

-Christopher

Basically it’s like a small stable bench, or bar to jump on, gap to/from, or jump over.

Re: Re: Re: Sandwich Boards for trials?

Ok, I have been unable to view these with Windows Media Player, RealPlayer and Quicktime Player. I get the audio in the first two but no video. Nada for the last player.

Sorry, this is off-topic, but does someone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

DivX is your friend… it will magically make the videos appear!

Phil, just me

Indeed it is and it does.

Thanks,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ