Rolling mount on a Coker

So you haven’t lost yours yet?

With a true rolling mount the wheel never stops rolling and continues rolling at pretty much the same speed throughout the entire mount.

With the Coker mount the wheel actually completely stops rolling during the mount. Only your body continues the forward motion and momentum as you jump up on to the pedals. That’s why I don’t like calling it a rolling mount, because it’s not. It’s a very sloppy attempt at a rolling mount.

I can’t do a proper rolling mount on my freestyle unicycle very well. I can make some good attempts, but nothing that is as smooth and as continuous in motion as it should be. When you see someone do a proper rolling mount at a good speed it is impressive to see. When I can get close to that level I’ll consider myself able to do a proper rolling mount. Till then I’m just a wannabe.

I like loosejello’s idea of calling it a running mount. But I’d probably call it more of a walking mount because the mount is done at walking speed.

When I do that mount on the Coker I take two steps and then jump on the pedals. I know where to line up the pedals at the start and I take the same size of steps every time. It’s all precalculated.

If I was to just start walking and then try to jump on the pedals I would have a difficult time doing it. It’s a lot harder to get the feet and the steps in sync with the pedals that way. I suspect that if I tried it that way I’d have the same problem you did with the running giraffe mount. I’d probably end up walking all the way across a parking lot saying to myself “Ok, on the next revolution I jump up. Ok, now the next revolution. OK, now the next one”. :slight_smile:

Re: Rolling mount on a Coker

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:09:45 -0500, “harper” wrote:

>That said, all that is required to jump mount a unicycle with a properly
>set seat is that the rider must be able to jump high enough to get his
>feet on the pedals or, roughly the radius of the wheel. In the limit of
>an extremely short rider (let’s say a 6" leprechaun) that would be 3
>times the height of the rider to get onto that Coker. Quite a feat
>indeed. Quite an exaggeration, too.

A flea can jump higher than an elephant, in absolute terms. Size has
little to do with how high one can jump.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“When it comes to the family jewels, you won’t be having fun until they’re having fun. - Jake D”

eeeerrr… durrrr…
I meant the front /leading edge (I know, only 1 edge on a circle) or portion of the wheel. Anyway - I know what I mean and it works well!

Re: Re: Rolling mount on a Coker

Yes that’s all well and good, but can a flea mount a Coker.

I think rolling fits very well as the name for that kind of mount. You roll in, you roll out, and “you” are the one going forward while the wheel stops. And it’s a very practical way to mount, not just a Coker but any standard uni. Nothing sloppy about it.

Were it up to me I’d change the Standard Skill definition of Rolling Mount to allow the wheel to stop (but not go backwards). This is how most people do it anyway. Doing this would in effect make the trick easier, so it might lose some point value. But it also makes the trick safer, as it represents a real-world mount.

Then if people want to keep the less-practical but more challenging no-stop version, I’d call it a running mount, or a non-stop mount, or something similar.

Gliding mount?
Coasting Mount?

Yes but they don’t ride as fast as people under 5’6" tall on my very un-scientific study. :slight_smile:

Roger

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:23:38 -0500, “One on one” wrote:

>Yes that’s all well and good, but can a flea mount a Coker.

Yeah, a jump mount. I’m pretty sure that if someone else sets up the
Coker, a flea could jump on the seat (maybe via the tyre) before its
feet hit any pedal. Huh.

“When it comes to the family jewels, you won’t be having fun until they’re having fun. - Jake D”

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 09:28:08 -0500, “johnfoss” wrote:

>Were it up to me I’d change the Standard Skill definition of Rolling
>Mount to allow the wheel to stop (but not go backwards).

Tricky. There is a VERY fine line between stopping and going
backwards. You need some sloppiness in judging to be able to see it.

Agreed :smiley:

As for rolling mounts- that’s how I mount a Coker- in fact, it’s the only mount I ever use. A rolling mount on a Coker is exactly the same any other rolling mount but you need to jump higher and further as you get on. I’m 5’5" and it works well for me even off-road, mounting up the hill etc. But you do need to be able to judge how far you need to jump to get to the equilibrium point where you can just pedal away.

Ken