Right 36er it is, no more changing my mind!

I don’t see the problem. Kid on your shoulders, balance bike in one hand, riding the uni.

(actually I’ve been banned from riding my uni whilst carrying kids, but I have been there, and it’s not so bad with a small uni if you’re happy carrying you son on your shoulders one handed).

haha! win! my sister is riding a little muni and i carry 2 munis!

The build has started with the arrival of the first part

:stuck_out_tongue:

The longest journey starts with a single step!

collar_small.JPG

You will find that the 36" wheel is a whole lot bigger and not so agile as a small wheel, I tend to use a lot more body language to “throw it around” which is why it can be so tiring to ride tough single track. In terms of clmbing and overall stability, the big wheel rocks, but being geared taller than a 29", there are limits to what can be climbed, hence my long crank preference. If I had a geared down hub so that in low gear my 36" was more like 26-29", I would probably leave the 29" at home a lot more.

I rode the 36" on some gravel double track the other night, started off in 165 position, moved the pedals to 137 about halfway out because I felt like I was pedaling in a box. The shorter position was much smoother, though more work pedaling flattish rough track as short cranks don’t provide as much support/feedback as long cranks; climbing and descending moderate grades is fine as long as I can ride the brake. I’d ride a shorter crank all the time, but I’d have to walk more hills and some of the descents would be more dangerous because I’d be on all brake to maintain control; brakes are not enough sometimes.

So why are you not getting an Oracle frame? If you don’t want an external brake, then that makes the most sense. If you must have Ti, then get an Oracle now, order the custom Triton, then sell the Oracle frame down the road. I will probably upgrade my Nimbus steel frame over time as it is flexier than a single tube styled leg. Not to mention, if money is an issue, a Triton will cost a whole lot more than $160. Also, you can use the Nimbus double quick release seat collar :smiley:

My next custom frame will be for the Oregon, it appears that I am twisting my frame :o

I bumped my 29er to 145mm cranks from 137mm and it has made hill climbing more fluid and hasn’t impacted my top end much at all. The other interesting change is it made general offroad riding smoother as hitting bumps required less corrective force on the pedals so it felt like I had suspension :stuck_out_tongue: I love the fact that my body can now feel the difference of 8mm crank length by how it soothes out bumps, yet can intuitively jump on different sized unis and different crank lengths and my body auto adjusts :smiley: Not full Zen with Unis yet but getting close :stuck_out_tongue:

The 36er will have 165/137 which will be perfect for Muni and road use using the two sets of holes, although like you said the longer cranks don’t feel fluid at all but for getting up hills they are ace and on a 36" MUni a must

Because I am a tart and I don’t like the frame style I also don’t like big painted seat collars :stuck_out_tongue:

Most questions can be answered with “Because I am a tart”

Okay, so keeping mind that I am not British, I was under the impression that a “tart” was a female with less going on upstairs than one would expect…

Which begs the question: Is that a picture of your wife or your husband?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Get the Oregon hub set up, you will be glad you did.

Tell ya what, you buy the Oracle frame, then order a custom Triton, when the Triton is ready I’ll buy the Oracle frame from you :slight_smile:

Lol yeah a tart was mainly a female description (as men are just studs for putting it about ;)) of someone who is more about looks over substance so it works even better as an insult for a bloke :stuck_out_tongue:

I am the gorgeous one in that photo :wink:

I quite like a wider stance as my big calves rub my frames a lot ( I have narrow hips which doesn’t help) especially with zero Q cranks but Uni cranks are pretty low or non existent on that front, I have some Echo cranks in 170mm that have a bit more Q to them but were too long for my 29er

Maybe you should stop buying spaghetti tubed steel frames and get yourself some Russian metalwork as I am sure that will stand up to your manly Clydesdale proportions :stuck_out_tongue:

he is just all power!

UDC order arrived this morning yay :slight_smile:

Had an awesome ride on the 29er today in 35mph winds deep mud and flooded trails, which cemented how much a bad idea a Schlumpf would be as I spent 10 minutes riding down a double track with water over my axle (on a 29er!!!) which I am sure a geared hub would not like be submerged under water. Hell even with popping the dust seals and re-greasing I kill wheel bearings in 4-6 months.

These deep ruts will be great on a 36er as they are deep enough to get the odd pedal strike on the 29er.

Just waiting to here from CDK about my frame being shipped so I can start assembling it :slight_smile:

Hi feisty. Well just to whet your appetite a bit more I just got my second hand triton 36 from Jimbo this week and after a couple of rides I have to say it is awesome. No problems mounting after the 29er (although I had trouble mounting the 29er on my muni ride this morning after getting used to the big wheel).

I can’t really say if it’s the big wheel or the frame but the ride is amazing. I had borrowed a 36er before but was not really sold on it but after taking my new wheel for a ride on some easy but rocky single track yesterday I have to admit I am starting to drink some of the same cool aid as Ben. It really does smooth the trail out a lot! And is fast. And is heaps of fun.

Looking forward to your build pics.

Oh yeaaaa, preach it! 36er is the new 29er! :smiley:

You’re going to love it!

and then add the Walt/Matt tire (it really does need a formal name), the ride quality is so much better, and talk about lightweight!

I’m riding 36 tomorrow if this rain settles down, last ride before we leave for a week of skiing, though about bringing a muni just in case there are some snow free trails :slight_smile:

Put the basics of my new 36er together and went for a ride today with a Coker Non-Skid tire. The roads and riverfront trails are mostly clear, but there were some patches of ice that I must admit made me nervous – the last time I rode on ice I broke my leg. :roll_eyes: The 36er absolutely does flatten things out, and really feels stable, even on ice, where the 26 guni had been really squirrely. Pretty soon I couldn’t resist searching out the icy sections of gravel trail, and did fine. :slight_smile:

I’m loving my new ride, and still adding whistles and bells (well, just one bell, no whistles :wink: ) and looking forward to the new tire and getting my disc brake on.

Thanks for all the feedback on your experiences, well not really as I am now even more excited and impatient than ever :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh well I will have to make do with some early morning big street on the 24" in a deserted Sunday morning shopping center :stuck_out_tongue: its a hard life!

I was hoping you would go 36 =D i want picture asap =D

Got a very large 36" package today :smiley:

Unfortunately the combination of a hand made box to fit the rim (not a box as it had gaps in it and was there to protest the rim with some plastic wrap around it) and loose spokes in a zip lock bag meant the spokes poked there way out of the bad and most fell out in transit.

No wheel build for me :frowning:

Email sent and I am sure they will sort me out (and tape the spokes in a bundle this time :p) but damn it is frustrating

Within minutes Roland is back to me with a very apologetic email and is sending new spokes as we speak, I have said it many times before that you judge a company by how they deal with their problems and as ever UDC (be it DE or UK) demonstrates how it should be done :slight_smile:

Pics!

Seriously 36ers are monsters!! :stuck_out_tongue: I don’t think I will have much seatpost exposed on the final build due to my short legs :wink:

rim_small.JPG

that looks so yummy!

WOOO HOOO

The sexy bit arrived :smiley:

I should have all but the tyre on Monday :angry: :stuck_out_tongue:

I was amazed that the overall frame length is only 2 inches taller than my 29er due to the small seat so I will still have 5+ inches of exposed seat post so it won’t look too much like I am riding my dads Uni :wink:

I think I might get ridding a TRITO very quickly though due to my calves rubbing my frames :stuck_out_tongue:

frame_1_small.JPG

frame_2_small.JPG

frame_comparison_SMALL.JPG

The wide legs look so sweet, I am so going to have to get the 29er Triton now, such a stunning frame

I will try test fitting my D-Brake from my 29er tomorrow as I know early Tritons had issues and the D-Brake need slotting, I have a later one (just before they added the disc tab) so it will hopefully be ok