Right 36er it is, no more changing my mind!

Just single speed for me. If I want to go faster on a cycle, I get on my recumbent bike. If I actually want to go fast on a cycle, it’s my motorcycle. The uni is for having fun at an easy pace.

I’m considering other color options. I’m probably going to go for black uni with green highlights to match the hub, so might paint the braking surface a dark green.

Ar e these tyres slow to ship? I may have to get a Nightrider to get me going if it is going to take too long :stuck_out_tongue:

I miss my ZX10r bike :frowning: stoopid children and not being allowed to kill myself :stuck_out_tongue:

Good luck for getting a 125 MM spaced Triton. I was inquiring about it and got told that it was unlikely to happen :frowning:

I wanted a 36" Triton with disk break mount on the frame and no magie mounts.

I got told not likely to happen :frowning:

Davey

Last I heard, Matt is expecting the tyres this weekend and they should be in the post Monday

I did fortunately keep the nightrider on my new 36, so can still ride
But really looking forward to getting the new one

Who’s Matt have I missed something from the 36 prototype tyre thread being late to the game :stuck_out_tongue:

For the right money I am sure Dmitry will make you a Triton Giraffe

He is very busy at them moment and isn’t taking orders until Feb March, when did you ask? He has made a 125mm Triton with left disc mount, also a taller wider 29er etc as they are owned by people on here.

I’m also a bit of a late comer in the 36" tyre

So not sure of exact roles in companies, who does what etc. So please forgive if I’m not giving credit to the right people. But my understanding is matt Beardsley is one of the main guys behind the waltworks tyre

He’s the one taking orders and shipping them out. And providing updates as to where they are so far

I just read the last few pages of the thread and that’s the jist I got :slight_smile:

Hope I got my order in in time then (well my invoice request) :slight_smile:

These look pimping :slight_smile:

Although shopping the lever tip off to fit a spooner sill make me wince :stuck_out_tongue: but the spooner is a must have and as the brake will only ever live on a Uni it really is a non issue

Hope_Race_Evo_M4-3013.jpg

that hope break about made me blow in my pants! and get a motard fast in the corners!

How about a Star-fighter instead of a Spooner? I run Hopes on my mtbks and I would hate to see you chop up a work of art if it is not nec.

if you look closely the lever has holes drilled into it all along the griping part, you can tap a thread into these holes and put a M2 or M3 (cant remember now) bolt through and secure it on the other side with a nut, then you only need to drill 2 holes in the bottom part of the spooner, i have had this fix since july and have had no problems, and it means you don’t have to chop the end of the lever! :slight_smile:

pictures may help :slight_smile:

Hopetechlever.jpg

HopeTechlever2.jpg

HopeTechlever3.jpg

Feisty if your going to get a hope brake I would recommend getting the Tech lever as you have two great adjustment- the extra weight is nothing compared to how you can personalise the brake setup more.

I have a Hope X2 Tech brake with a 160mm floating rotor waiting to be built up onto my 26’’ muni. I hope the brake is really good :smiley:

http://forums.mtbr.com/bike-frame-discussion/triton-bikes-titanium-frames-handmade-russia-anyone-583688-7.html

If you ask for à custom, why not ask a quick release bearing clamp like vacuum hose clamp ?

I agree about riding with kids on bikes - means I get to ride mine more than I might otherwise, given my excuse is that I ride at about the same speed as mine on average (though average is sometimes a bit of a pain - I struggle to keep up on the downhills and have to wait on the ups). Currently I mostly ride my 26er muni with my 5yo and the 19er with my 3yo who has only just learnt to ride - one of the reasons for going for a 29er muni is an attempt to keep up with my oldest as he gets faster, and a 36er would maybe work for a bit longer. I do own a 29er guni, but not good enough at riding that to want to try riding with anybody else on it - hopefully that will come by the time I need it. I had a try on Jai’s 36er (actually it’s another loaner from Roger apparently) at the most recent uni-meet though, and found it a lot easier to ride than my guni - just rather harder to get on! The difficulty of riding the guni was brought home by how much Jai struggled on it despite having a huge amount of experience on a 36er http://onewheeloneisland.wordpress.com/

I found the 36er that easy to ride that if I could sort out the mounting issue, then I could actually see it as being practical on my scrappy routes I ride, when I thought 29 might be the largest practical size. Given I like impressing the kids (I refuse to comment on the other point!), then maybe I should just go for it, though it’s still a big outlay when I’m not sure.

If you’ve already tried a 36er and you liked it, you know you will end up getting one. And if you’re going to end up getting one at some point anyhow, you might as well get it sooner than later, to get the most out of it. :wink:

My boy is only 2 but has a balance bike but he is a proper boy and loves anything with wheels so I am sure he is my future riding buddy my daughter is 4.5 and has a bike with pedals but is not that interested (a proper girl, which interesting as we didn’t gender stereo type them at all)

At the moment they require too much attention for me to ride with them but Having a 24" , 29" and soon to be 36" I have suitable variance in speed to match their ability.

I have been fighting the 36 urge for a while as it is quite an expense when you have lots of other well use Unis but I think it is inevitable :stuck_out_tongue:

As for mounting issues I am looking forward to trying all my mounts on a bigger wheel as I used to struggle to mount on my 24" so took it as a challenge to master as many mounts as possible, so when I went to my 29er I got on and rode off first attempt and didn’t even notice the extra height.

To me the bigger the wheel the easier it is as the larger heavier wheel requires more input to move so you can be more sloppy with foot pressure. and being able to jump / suicide mount makes mounting anything easy. Another thing that helped me was doing trials, I am so used to jumping the uni about to get up and over things that I am so lazy when I mount now I just throw myself up and hop the uni straight under me.

My other tip that I used with my mate who was struggling to static mount, was to place your back foot on the back pedal with the saddle tucked in to your groin and push on the back pedal as if to do a role back mount (he could do those) but put weight on the saddle and lean into the uni to balance your foot pressure and then lift your front foot off the floor but not try to mount. This results in you doing a one foot static idle thing and gets you learning how to counteract your foot pressure with your body weight. Doing this repeatedly means you can move your free floating foot about as you balance and ultimately means you can move it to the front pedal to mount.

I am hoping to have the Mrs about so I can film the first mount and ride down the street to see if I can keep the first ride success rate going :slight_smile:

And mentioning cost :astonished: :stuck_out_tongue:

It isn’t too bad really as my folks gave me £500 as a special big crimbo present towards it and selling my KH20 uni and KH26 frame got me £260 so it is only actually costing me £270 (and if my 32h trrials wheel sells it will have cost me less than £100) so can’t moan really :stuck_out_tongue:

Just waiing for the invoice from Walt for the tyre then I will have bought all the parts for a ridable brakeless 36er (I have some echo 170mm cranks at home for now) but the remaing brake bits will be ordered next Friday (payday :p) and will probably get here long before the Waltworks tyre (anyone got an old Nightrider tyre lol)

I will need to mod the D-brake bolt holes to fit the Triton and use my spare Naomi seat base that was replaced wit h a CF one to steal the longer seat post mount bolts to use as the front bolts to fit a brake lever mount on the saddle as thestandard oldstyle bolts are too short (need to get another CF base, well two actuall as my 24" Uni runs a Naomi as well).

Triton_cost.JPG

I was riding with my youngest when he was still on a balance bike (possibly when he was still 2). I was never sure whether people were more impressed by him on the balance bike or me on the uni. Surely your riding is good enough that you can do it without thinking and pay attention to the kids (I find I can even manage to give him a push when riding my little uni)? You should have kept your 19er to ride with him (or you could always get another one :wink: ).

I was looking at Triton trials frames a while back hmmmmmm :stuck_out_tongue:

It is more that he will give up so I have a child uni and bike to lug back home :roll_eyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

If I go out with my Daughter I do ride