Riding at work --> vous?

Since I’m on a midnights rotation this week, i brought my l’il Sun 20"er in to work on my oh-so-pathetic free mounts in the empty halls. There’s a big window between my work area and the hall i practice in, so i can practice not falling off with a relatively clear concience.

Even a few 15~20 minute stints in the hallway make the night a lot more bearable.

So, how many of us ride at work? Do you ride during lunch or breaks or (gasp) when you’re supposed to be working?

To say my free mounts suck is to be kind, but they’re getting better. I can feel that >almost-there< feeling that tells me i’m close to “getting it”. :slight_smile:

.max

I sometimes practise in the hall of the school where I work after all the pupils have gone home. Only problem is I never feel comfortable doing it wearing a suit, and I can’t get my act together to bring a change of clothes.

I practice at my dinner time from work. I have to exercise my two dogs, so I try to take my unicycle in my van, and we drive to some woods to ride a loop track.

It is great to get some unicycling in through the day.

I am trying to get better at free mounting as well. I am trying to get better at static mounts, as kick back free mounts are not the best way to free mount in the woods with tree roots all over the place.

Innes

Re: Riding at work --> vous?

Learn’t at work on a noname brand 20" with a work friend in our lunch
breaks on a spare office floor. It was carpet, big mistake.

We now practice at lunch when we can and always try to either get in a
lunch time muni ride once a week or a longer night ride after work when
we are both free.

Makes the day much more fun :slight_smile:

I found with free mounts putting a block of wood behind the wheel really
helped when i was learning.

BraveSirStupid wrote:
> Since I’m on a midnights rotation this week, i brought my l’il Sun 20"er
> in to work on my oh-so-pathetic free mounts in the empty halls. There’s
> a big window between my work area and the hall i practice in, so i can
> practice -not- falling off with a relatively clear concience.
>
> Even a few 15~20 minute stints in the hallway make the night a lot more
> bearable.
>
> So, how many of us ride at work? Do you ride during lunch or breaks or
> (gasp) when you’re supposed to be working?
>
>
> To say my free mounts suck is to be kind, but they’re getting better. I
> can feel that >almost-there< feeling that tells me i’m close to “getting
> it”. :slight_smile:
>
> max
>
>
> –
> BraveSirStupid - i’m a moron so you don’t have to be
>
> this IS my other .sig!
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> BraveSirStupid’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7738
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38843
>

I am fortunate enough to have a gym in my building (though weebles seems to think it isn’t big enough to ride his commuter in :wink: ), so I can often practice for a half hour or so at lunch.

Riding at work keeps my mind clear throughout the day. My uni breaks help me focus my mind and help me concentrate better afterwards. Riding after lunch also helps me come back to work energized. I ride in the halls and in the parking lot.

Here’s a fun story about using your unicycle as a work tool: I managed a sales team in a 50-person telesales office at BellSouth. When I needed to check on my team or other sellers I found my 5-foot giraffe very helpful. When I was on it I could see way over the cubicle walls! I didn’t use it to pry into my coworkers’ business, just as a way to break the stress of their very difficult jobs. It was good for a lot of laughs.

Where I work we’ve got a campus of 5 buildings spread out over about a mile. When I have to go to another building I find the uni to be faster than walking so it’s actually a legitimate use of unicycling at work :sunglasses:

I also go out and ride at lunch.

I ride to and from work, and yes, sometimes at work. Outside my office just to get up on the wheel…and down the school hallways whenever I think I can get away with it! :wink:

I took two rubbish (garbage) bags to the skip (dumpster) the other day using the Unicycle.

I ride to, from, and at work.

tantop1.jpg

I don’t know what is more scary; Gregs hair, or the thought of that fall if it all goes wrong! :astonished:

Harper … that’s a very ‘interesting’ photo.

:thumbsup

(what’s the boss think about that …? I can’t imagine the ‘legalities’ for the insurance if you get caught)

Ah,but that big round engine thingy hes riding on probally rotates,so he has to ride at an angle.

i was regularly riding at work when i was working at Borland Software Corp (usually at lunches). i had many debates w/the building owners about unicycles being allowed on campus.

now that i work at apple (1.5 months so far), i have only ridden a lunch a few times (coker’ing on and off campus…i’m sure if/when i start doing trials on the big “1 Infinite loop” sign that i’ll get into trouble).

-corbin

riding at work

I never ride up the wheelchair ramp and off the loading dock on my Wilder just to show off at work. I never ride across the gravel flower beds up onto the helicopeter pad so I can go off the steep side or practice my suicide mounts in front of other employees. I don’t entice the E.R. doctor into trying it again after 20 years while he’s on duty either, because he might get hurt, and then what would all of the sick people do?

Re: riding at work

ha, ha, ha,…good ones, elmer!:slight_smile:

She thinks I’m funny

Erin is nice. I like Erin. Are you going to Moab, Erin?

Re: Riding at work –> vous?

Watch out, Radioactive Man!

If i haven’t borken something important by then, I promise at least one complimentary picture from the cheez whiz factory by the end of June.

sigh… UNIquelyCanadian is right… always wear your helmet! I had nice slammin’ backwards UPD while working on turns. I tucked tight to protect my skull and avoided being concussed, but at the cost a nicely wrenched back and ventral and lateral connective tissue strain in my neck. Ouch!. Serves me right! Fortunately, i have lots of Bufferin.

.max

As part of my job I travel about a bit. Hope the following story counts!

As part of my ‘unicycled there’ tick list I took the Unicycle across to Gibraltar (Geography bad? It’s a strange small country on a peninsular of Southern Europe that the British grabbed 300 years ago and Spain wants back). Didn’t really have the intention to go very far, but ended going across the runway (the main road into Gibraltar crosses the airport runway - see, told you it was a strange place), riding up, and back down the now pedestrianised main street (approx 2 miles from the border), and back to the border. Had to wait to re-cross the runway while a plane landed, which was quite uncomfortable for a few minutes while the the armed Policeman sitting in the top of the armoured Police Land Rover guarding the runway stared at me intensely.

Finally got to the Spanish section of the border, I wheeled the Unicycle into the Customs building, the conversation (in Spanish) with the Customs Guard went something like this:

CG:Can you ride it?
Me:Yes
CG:Go on then
Me:In here?
CG:Yes

So I free mounted, rode down the building, two 90 degree turns back to the guard, another 90 degree right across the building and out of the door into Spain (I suprised myself at how good I rode).

The Customs Guard shouted in broken english as I departed “Goodbye my friend”.

I ride to and from work on my 24" donkey. At my work I have to push trolleys up a wee hill and empty them out, then back down the hill. I’ve always wanted to try it on the uni, but the 24’s cranks are too wee, I’ll have to take my trials or muni one day and try it on that.

Also, the tables in the work canteen are temptingly close together, and surprisingly solid. One day I’m gonna try and jump between them all on the trials uni. When the boss aint in!

T.