Return to unicycling

I rode an Olmo unicycle from age 13 to 20. I’d ride all over town and
had a lot of fun. I’m 50 now and at my daughter’s back to school night
there was a uni leaning against the wall of the gym. I decided to try
it. It took a wall mount and 3 to 4 tries, but I finally got the thing
going for 5 or 6 full pedal revolutions. Then I realized the tire was
severely underinflated, which explained why it felt like I was
pedalling through mud. But I know I’d be able to ride again.

My question is, could I get started again on a Coker; the idea of the
cruising capabilities make it very attractive. Or would I be better
off starting with a smaller wheel first. Just trying to conserve funds
as I already have a fairly expensive recumbent bike habit to bug the
wife with.

Also, at 5’8" and a 30" inseam am I tall enough for the Coker?

Thanks in advance for any opinions.

Bruce Shannahoff
Los Angeles CA

I think Scott Kurland learned as an adult on a Coker. That is, it was his first unicycle ever. I would buy a cheap 24" first to reorient yourself. You can get them for $100 or less. Then get a Coker. They are WAY fun! And the standards are only $300. Unicycles are CHEAP. Tell your wife.

And, yes, you are tall enough for a Coker. Ask Bruce Edwards’ kids, Ben and Brad.

Bruce, i rode a 24" Schwinn back in the 70’s. After not riding for 20 some odd years, i stumbled across the uni.com website, and just had to have a Coker. After a few failed mounts, i was happily Cokering along! Of course, there are a couple of side effects…when the bug bites for the second time, it bites hard. I’m now the proud owner of not only the Coker, but a 24" Hunter muni, a 26" Sem Deluxe, and my latest and possibly most fun toy, a 28" Sem Deluxe with a 29" nanoraptor tire! Just go for it!

Chuck

Where in Los Angeles are you? Always looking for people to ride with!

chuck

Chuck, where in Texas are you?

Brad is 9 years old and has a whopping 25" inseam, has the stubby seatpost on the saddle, and has the saddle sitting on top of the seat post tube, is using 6" cranks, and his feet with shoes installed just reach the pedals perfectly.

Now, the newsgroup is not hardly big enough for two handsome, charming, highly intelligent and daring Bruces so I’ll concede my throne immediately.

Bruce the Humble

Re: Return to unicycling

“yoopers” <yoopers.cp5f0@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:yoopers.cp5f0@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
>
> Now, the newsgroup is not hardly big enough for two handsome, charming,
> highly intelligent and daring Bruces so I’ll concede my throne
> immediately.
>
> Bruce the Humble
>

It’s easy to be humble when you aren’t sharing a name with a pug!

Doug the Grumble

I’m 5’8 with about a 30 inch inseam and ride a Coker easily.

Like others who have replied, I’d suggest starting on a 24, for several reasons.

A 24 is more versatile, easier to carry and store, more robust, and can be cheaply modified to bias it towards off road use, or road use, or tricks, and so on. A 24 is easily good for 5-10 mile rides.

A Coker is at its best on roads, paths and fairly level tracks. It takes up a lot of space, only fits easily in some cars, and is pretty fragile. Modifications are difficult - there’s only one tyre available, and shortening the cranks makes it a bit of a beast.

Nothing is like a Coker except another Coker, though. You’ll love it or hate it. It’s good for 10 - 20 mile rides, and capable of much longer distances if you are. This introduces a problem in that it can become difficult to find new places to ride that are worthwhile.

If I had only one unicycle… well, that’s a separate thread… :wink:

Bruce,
Welcome back to the wonderful world of one wheeling. Lot’s O’good advice on starting with a 24" and all that. Don’t worry about the Recumbent habit…get the 24, get the coker, get hooked and you will soon be selling the recumbent stuff! :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask lot’s of questions in this forum as you progress on your unicycling journey. I don’t think you’ll find another community like this anywhere, unicyclists rock (and some still stand.)

onlyonewheel <onlyonewheel.cp2n2@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message news:<onlyonewheel.cp2n2@timelimit.unicyclist.com>…
> Where in Los Angeles are you? Always looking for people to ride with!
>
I live in Northridge. Where do you live? What do you ride?

– Bruce

> Now, the newsgroup is not hardly big enough for two handsome, charming,
> highly intelligent and daring Bruces so I’ll concede my throne
> immediately.
>
> Bruce the Humble

Please, Bruce, I can make no claims other than to my name.

– Bruce

cool!

I live in Mission Hills, so that’s not too far away. I have friends in Northridge and my grandparents live in Chatsworth so I’m over in your nick-of-the-woods often.

My brother and I both ride 24inchers, but hopefully will soon be expanding the collection to include a Coker and a giraffe. We ride around quite a bit. Mostly street and freestyle stuff although I’ve done a little Muni myself (i.e. riding 34 miles from one end of Catalina to the other).

E-mail me if you’d like to go for a ride sometime.