Requesting Videos: Fast downhill riding and Commuting (dealing w/ pede, traffic, etc)

I’m searching around for videos (both for learning and inspiration and plain o’ curiosity :p)

I’m guessing this is the section to ask? I was going to post it in the other section since it seems more active…but

I’m looking for videos of preferably ungeared unicycles from far back or side perspective as I’m concentrating on their body movements. Hopefully with the cameraman following them from the side.

So I saw this section:

Some list the speed as downhill. Are there any videos that show them with such high speed? I recently watched a video of Unigeezer and he seemed to be pedaling pretty darn fast on 110mm cranks and achieving 18mph while some of the listed speeds around 25 up to 29. I wanted to see how they maintain that. I pedal somewhat fast sometimes but since I’m still relatively new, I find it odd how they’re able to keep their feet on the pedal while pedaling fast enough to achieve those speeds.

I’d also like to request help in finding commuting videos, especially 36ers (but any would be cool) when they have to deal with stopping at red lights for a lengthy amount of time, dealing with pedestrians blocking the road if they decide to go into the sidewalk, and so forth.

So far I mainly just see videos of when they have a clean clear road, don’t see them stopping or having to deal with much road obstacles and such or it’s simply edited out (the technical parts that I’d like to see).

I search youtube ALL the time, but I’m having a hard time finding those kinds of specific videos.

If you can find or better yet, record your own, that would be awesome.

I’ve been looking for the same videos (The one involving road commuting), nothing has shown up for me either :frowning:

Consider this as me tagging this thread for future checking :smiley:

The video has since been removed, but there used to be a cool one with 2 guys riding 36ers through downtown manhattan. At 2:00 starts a piece of it in this other video.

Shame the original is gone, I loved that video. It had them riding on the busy sidewalk too, was super cool.

Are you talking about this

1:35 Mark.

I brought it up in this thread

If yes then yeah I saw it. It was pretty neat and I’d like to see that a lot more. Just anything technical. Sort of want to see how they deal with certain things…would be a nice watch. I hate how they edit stuff out because they think we might not be interested in it. Like in your video there’s a point when the guy is stopped by a bunch of pedestrians walking across the street, seemed like he had to wait a bit…and it was edited out. Been searching around youtube for fast downhills.

I saw one here

I was wondering for longer slopes if pedaling as fast or faster is okay, sustainable, and so forth…would like to learn by watching a bit before I go out and try it. I tried going down a steep hill and it just scares me to death because when I take the weight off the pedal a bit, it really starts rotating fast, no clue how to stop it at a certain point not to mention a point when my feet doesn’t realize where it’s at since it’s spinning so fast…like it’s being thrown off the pedals.

Yeah that pedestrian clip was from it too. But it was an entire video with just that guy and occasionally 1 other guy both on 36ers in manhattan. It started with them going across the suspension bridge on the pedestrian walkway. I even remember what the song sounded like.

I think I found the correct one on pinkbike:

also I like city parts of this one very much:

:astonished:
I think that video from pinkbike was the one Dane M was talking about. Yeah man that was awesome, but I wonder if they’ve ever hit anybody while doing that. Seems like a lot of close calls and some luck at to play in.

Of course they’re also very very skillful at maneuvering swiftly and accurately. Man, stuff like that just makes me want to go out there and try to ride like that. So awesome!!!

That speed that he’s going in that video, I’m guessing they’re using geared 36ers?

Would still wish to see what they do at lengthy stops etc, again the boring but interesting parts for some of us are edited out :frowning:

Great find!

The video was a full length compilation DVD by Brian Mackenzie called “Inner Balance”

The rider in the NY downtown scene is Adam Cohen. Both he & Brian are members of this forum.

Not only does Adam’s riding show great skill and lots of nerve but you also have to give Brian at least as much credit as he is filming this ride while on a 36er as well.

Brian also put out another DVD called “Training Wheel Not Required” in about 2004 or 2005. It is a must view in my opinion.

It’s really weird, I considered starting a thread after Christmas asking for people’s techniques for urban commuting - Things like how to stop at lights and dodge pedestrians. I thought there’d be no interest so I didn’t bother, looks like I’ve found someone who would be interested! Back in 2, going to start a thread :smiley:

I can’t find where to watch or get them at. Been searching for awhile, sent Brian a PM, doubt he’ll get it though since it seems to be away for awhile. His .ca website doesn’t work either and googling for the videos don’t give the results.

As I recall, Brian marketed & sold the video’s himself through his company “Balance Productions” so he would be your best bet for obtaining copies of the video’s. Adam may be able to assist here as well.

Am including a clip of Brian’s re: the “glide cam” system that he used in filming.

Sorry; I guess Dane had already supplied this video.

Haha same here. I’ve been thinking about it for a few weeks now. It would be so helpful since I’m concentrating mainly on commuting through the urban/city streets. When I get good enough I might try to find a way to make my own little videos.

On the side note, awhile back I made this thread:

I find it odd how there’s not more people having accidents like accidentally bumping into cars or other people. I’ve been riding the streets for the past two weeks (started about two months ago) and there were plenty of times where I almost hit someone or someone running into me (including cars pulling out and not seeing me) or me getting tired and losing concentration and almost falling over.

Actually I had one incident a few days ago where during my third round trip (trying to improve stamina so I’ve been taking this route that leads me up and down a rather steep hill) and I UPD near a car. My unicycle didn’t hit it but it almost did. I landed on the back of the car but barely. Good thing there was no problems. I also UPD a few times, but thankfully the unicycle landed on the side of the cars.

So I find it weird that people in that thread didn’t really list it out more. Or is everyone that darn good, even when they were beginners? Even in that video with Adam Cohen, stuff like that, I know they didn’t get that good by NEVER hitting a car or pedestrian. That would be impossible, to swerve around such narrow spaces and never hit anybody.

Many of my UPD had to do with things blocking my path but mostly it’s because during the ride I had some crotch pain issue and I tried straightening the seat to try to help the issue or since I ride on the right side of the road (in the direction of traffic) and the road crown curves to the right, my right feet tends to try to slip off the right pedal. So while trying to not dismount, I tried fixing the issue while riding which leads me to losing balance and falling off.

I had a UPD in the middle of intersection once, but then I was lucky as streets were really busy, so all cars were quite slow. Also I once had a high speed UPD (at least 24km/h is high for me on my 26" guni) when a girl with a trolley got into my way. I managed to avoid her, but was not able to keep my balance on a small curb. I’ve stopped after three gian leaps some 10m further than my uni, but again luckily no one was hit.
Actually I don’t remember any car or pedestrian hit by my uni and I have three light pedestrian hits on my bike account. But still I’m commuting much more often on a bike.

If I commute on uni anytime soon I will try to record something, but it would be best to have somebody behind to record that and this will be hard on a way to work.

Yeah I think that’s the biggest issue why there’s not as many videos. I want to make some videos but no one is willing to take it. I guess the only way is to either ask some nice pedestrians on the side or put your camera somewhere where there’s no one and just go through that spot. Least that’s how I see many unicycle video uploaders do it. Lots of staging and editing and redoing.

Oh, also noticed you’re almost at your 1000th post!

To be fair that’s how most video uploaders do it, uni or not :smiley:

I mostly don’t have road/traffic-related accidents because I mostly ride on deserted nature trails and the canal towpath, which is 99% bike traffic and 1% dog walkers (These are annoying because they tend to leave them off their lead, I’m not having a go at dog walkers but honestly, it’s a busy cycle route…)

I’ve only ridden ‘real’ roads a couple of times, so right now I’m still learning the ways, but I’ll try and at least get some head-cam footage once I get used to it a bit more :smiley:

interested in unicommuting also

quite timely to come across your post. I am considering a unicycle because I want to commute. Looks like that is the rare thing and few people do it. I hope people come out of the woodwork who do commute with unicycles. :sunglasses:

I’d suggest easing off- you’re not ready to be riding in places with pedestrians and cars until you can ride pretty much zero UPDs.

Fact is, the vast majority of experienced riders who ride big wheels amongst pedestrians and traffic, never hit a pedestrian.

Partly because if they did, it’s a serious matter that could easily damage the pedestrian, or lead to violence if you bump into the wrong type of pedestrian :slight_smile:

But mainly because there’s no need for it to happen- riding amongst pedestrians and/or traffic is a skill it itself, one that takes just as much development as learning to ride the unicycle in the first place.

If you’re hitting pedestrians (or almost hitting them) then you’re in a place that’s above your skill level- back off, find places with a few pedestrians, or roads with the odd car now and again. Practice in those environments a while, then find places a bit busier, etc.

Totally possible- I’m genuinely surprised anyone would think otherwise. The skills of an expert in any field/sport are developed over years and years- e.g. slalom skiers never conduct their first lessons in slaloming on an experts course, as that could well be fatal.

You try to straighten your seat while riding?!

If things block a unicyclists path- he/she just rides round it, it’s part of the ride dude :slight_smile: If the unicyclist can’t ride round it (in the context of being on the road in traffic or amongst pedestrians), as in 100% of the time, then he/she is out of his/her depth and should either find an easier path, or, to push their skills by finding a similar obstacle in a non-road environment and working it till they can get round 100% of the time.

I’m not going to go into details as you can search the board for the many threads covering it, but riding into traffic (i.e. right side of road in the UK) is a really bad idea.

Correcting your weak foot, while riding in traffic is not good. Your foot should not be slipping off a pedal due to road crown- you’re not riding outdoors on roads with plastic pedals are you? You need some metal pedals with pins like all the other dudes who ride on roads, cos, however good you are, if it rains, you won’t be staying on for long with plastic pedals.

in the us cars get a insurance bonus when they hit riders

“expert” … I know of a recent expert driver who was in a car crash. Accidents happen across the skill continuum. The more proficient you are the less likely it is to happen, but 'cept for God, most humans have lapses. There are also humans who still find it very important to run any cyclist off the road, even going off the road after them.

I wonder how unis in America deal with stops and left hand turns IF they are a part of traffic. Of course, it may honestly not be practical for unicycles to participate in regular traffic. (I am being sincere when I say that.) I know of two unicyclists who commute. The one takes back streets with little traffic in the afternoon. The other, a lawyer, actually rides his unicycle on the sidewalk in his town, that doesn’t have a lot of pedestrians. In my town, a recent ordinance made it illegal for any wheel vehicle other than a baby stroller to be on the sidewalk.

My thoughts on what you said, but feel free to calmly correctly me if I’m wrong, they’re just thoughts. I’m just saying that in case people take my pretty passive replies out of context. I’m a straightforward person sometimes.

Whenever I go here the first and continuous advice that I get is “just ride” and I’ll learn. So how do I learn actual commuting without actually commuting in my area? Almost every road around me has cars and people and I have to deal with them sometime. I don’t have issues UPDing when there’s nothing around, it’s boring. Unicycling is about the challenge, fun and learning new things, right?

And then there’s the unexpected UPD, especially for roads you’ve never been at. I would understand it being easy for roads you’ve been through a dozen times and you know what to expect 95% of the time.

I disagree, not speaking in terms as being an equally skilled rider as you or the other much more experienced riders on this forum as oppose to myself, but just my honest opinion. In a sense, you’re saying people with experience don’t make mistakes. But I believe they do. You can see it when those experience people make their unicycle videos and they have to edit out the “bloopers”. Sometimes they include it at the end of their video. Unigeezer (since I watch his video a lot and actually know him on here), no one in their right mind would call him an inexperienced rider, but even he has to do multiple shots of tricks/hops, some of which I’ve seen him do before, because he too can have accidents and fall.

And people also have bad days. I still think it’s impossible to go through all of those pedestrians, especially those shown in the videos on the first page as people can be extremely unpredictable. Even one single fast step on a pedestrian I would think…would cause an unexpected accident. I don’t think it’s about the experience, I think it’s also luck and you have unlucky days.

I just think it does happen, but either people don’t commute much with unicycles, those people are not on this forum, the people don’t want to admit it, or they just simply didn’t notice the thread to reply.

Yeah, I slow way down, grab the handle and pull it up a bit. Sometimes my position on the seat shifts a bit on the saddle during the ride so I just correct it. It shifts and sometimes causes me to rub certain areas more which leads to soreness.

I’m not pedaling full speed while doing this or anything.

Would this be okay?

I agree and I’m trying to hone in the necessary skills (and from this post, videos so I can look at to learn from you guys). I’m working hard on constant idling / bunny hopping / forward hopping.

It’s just that sometimes it’s unexpected. Learning a skill is one thing, but learning to utilize all of your basic skills and do it perfectly, whenever you want it, as much as you want to, under any circumstances, 100% of the time if that’s even humanly possible. It could take years and I can tell you I’m not going to wait years just to ride the street right outside my house.

The path might be easy one moment but not so the next.

Yeah I’m working on it.

I got the :

It does have some metal parts to it and tons of pins.

They’re the defaults on the 26 oracle. If it rains, I’m driving :smiley:
Commuting with unicycle is just for fun, I have other means of transportation.

I think I covered everything and I got what you’re saying. Pardon the long post, was trying to clarify my thoughts in response to yours. If I misunderstood anything, tell me and I’ll be very open minded about it. Again, my responses are not to offend anyone, if I’m wrong, I apologize.

I just don’t see any real learning to be had without actually going out there and facing the actual issue.

If there are lengthy videos of these really experienced riders that you mentioned that are able to commute through complex city streets and sidewalks with moderate to heavy traffic flow without hitting or causing problems to any cars or pedestrians…I’d like to see the complete UNedited full length video of it. It would be something really awesome to behold and a great video for us that are still new.

No worries- I’m pretty straightforward myself :slight_smile:

Yes- but remember that we’re talking about 2 different skills here- the skill of mounting/riding/progressing onto trials/muni/tricks etc, and the skill of riding it on the roads/amongst pedestrians. One extra issue with the 2nd skill is that, when you mess up, maybe other people get hurt.

That’s why, with the first skill, ‘just ride’ and ‘push your limits/UPD’ is good advice, with the 2nd, there’s more to it.

You need to read the road ahead, watch for road signs, watch for drivers doing irrational/illegal manouvers, control traffic behind by taking center-road position when it’s appropriate etc, etc.

On sidewalks you need to look for special hazards like infirm elderly, young children who can run in random directions, and so on. If you UPD and knock an elderly person over they could end up in hospital or dead.

If you UPD then avoid busy roads. Really- every time you UPD on a busy road you risk dying and/or causing a traffic accident.

That’s not to say I never have UPD’d on a road, but, it’s very, very rare, and I don’t recall a time when I UPD’d on a busy road.

I’ll be honest, when out on my 29er I often ride like a madman, slaloming posts, riding to the edge of my speed abilities etc. But it’s rare I UPD, and, on busy roads, never. Because when I’m on a busy road my focus is on staying on, watching the traffic for hazards, and staying well within my limits.

And I know those limits cos of the time I spend pushing them when riding like a madman (on non-busy roads).

I’m not a particularly skilled unicyclist- very few tricks, for example.
I just do the one thing- ride a big wheel in traffic and on sidewalks.

‘Bloopers’ on trials/muni vids are a strawman- it’s a totally different activity.

A ‘blooper’ amongst pedestrians or on a busy road could well mean tragedy for an innocent/s. You don’t see them on vids cos they’re very rare, and, if you did see a ‘blooper’ on a busy road caused by a unicyclist, it’d likey be on the news/youtube and it wouldn’t be labeled ‘blooper’.

No it’s not ‘OK’ to adjust your seat post while riding on a busy road. In fact, it’s not OK to have a defective seat post clamp (cos that’s what it is- a properly tightened seat post clamp should not come loose).

A slack post clamp is dangerous even if you’re not trying to adjust it as, if it suddenly loosens, there’s a very good chance you’ll be off.

I’m not having a go here- I no how bad a failure of seat clamp tension is cos I’ve done it myself; luckily I wasn’t in traffic at the time.

No worries- you’re doing good stuff by asking for advice on here.

Only video I’ve got up with road/sidewalk riding is this-

and it’s at night so the paths/roads aren’t busy. But that’s what I’m talking about- seek out areas/times when there’s just some cars/pedestrians about. Bomb around when/where the roads are clear, and, reign it in when you’re anywhere close to a car/person. The ability to ride so far within your limits that you can virtually 100% guarantee zero UPDs; is a skill well worth acquiring.

In my 15+yrs of riding on roads, there’s a handfull of incidents, some my fault, some not, where I could easily have died- roads/cars are dangerous, pedestrians are fragile, and, it’s a stupid waste to die under the wheels of a car/truck.

Best of luck with your road riding development.