Recommendations on places to Muni in SoCal

Went to Chantry flats for an EPIC 6 hours of riding/filming! I’ll give my full ride report when I post my video in the Video forum later. :smiley:

Fullerton Loop

I have hit the loop a couple of times on a mtn bike but am not confident about remembering the route. If a trip is planned I’d love to go! I don’t know any other riders.; :sunglasses:

I totally want to hit the loop. If we can’t find a trail guide I’d say if you wanted to just go for an epic explorative ride the two of us and a map can’t get very lost. I also have a google phone w/ GPS plus a GPS unit plus I know the streets in the entire area, just not the trail. I’ll send you a PM at some point…

Anyone else wanna do a group muni ride in fullerton sometime?

Loop Ride

I’m In, When?

I just went on a 7 mile road ride on my uni and my muni shorts that I thought were awesome left me all chafed to hell, so, sometime after I find a good pair of shorts that don’t screw me up… Maybe in two or three weeks? I’ll drop you a PM.

Shorts

Yeah well here’s a posting.

Myself, I like the FOX downhill short with removable inner liner/pad, cause you can use them with other shorts or combined. Plus, just as they are is great.

Hurry up because Scott and I are going to discuss a Loop ride soon. Maybe you and deadbeatpope want to join in?

Lobbybopster - Hurry up because Scott and I are going to discuss a Loop ride soon. Maybe you and deadbeatpope want to join in?
[/QUOTE]

Be sure to post the ride or please include me in the PMs for the Loop. I ride it twice a week on mtb but have never tried it on the muni.

I am also up for a Santiago Canyon, Aliso Wood, Whiting Ranch, El Moro ride or any other trail in the area.

I think I foolishly wore them while they were a little moist and I didn’t powder myself at all. I had no probs on a 7 mile muni ride, it was just the 7 mile road ride that did it, so I’m good to go. If these shorts screw me up again I’ll get new ones… until then: I’m down and ready to go! (Wish I had my camelbak but my local bike shop guy is an idiot as far as customer satisfaction goes so I’m going to order one online today.)

I am free Saturdays and Sundays. You can drop me an email at amiantos@gmail.com or gtalk me at the same address.

I am totally in as soon as work cools down. I will be super busy until mid Feb. :sunglasses: The more the merrier!

I’m going to ride it again tomorrow, so I’ll give a ride report. Nothing technical, but still a fun little loop. Seemed well suited for a 36er as well. :smiley:

What are you riding? Do you have (need) a brake?

Haha yeah, but a brake isn’t necessary there. Probably ride my 36er in “MUni-Mode”. Basically, I just switch my usual 114mm cranks for 127’s or 150’s, take off the touring bar so I can jump, hop and drop without the added offset weight, lower the saddle and reduce psi. For that trail it might be more fun to just bomb it fast and smooth on a 36er. :>)

Saturday Feb 6?

I would be up for a ride around the Fullerton loop this Saturday if the weather is OK. It looks like a 40% chance of rain. Would a tentative time of Saturday at 10 AM work for people? I would cancel it if there is rain–there are enough nice days around here that I do not need to pick one of the few rainy days for a long Muni ride.

I have never done the ride before and would need directions to the starting point. I would appreciate a native guide on the trail. :roll_eyes:

Let me know if you are up for the ride this Saturday.

Just for the uninitiated, the Fullerton loop is about 12 miles long, and can be EXTREMELY confusing to figure it out! It’s very easy to make wrong turns and get lost! This geoladders walk-through will help a lot!

Saturday Loop

+1 ------------ Anyone else?

I ride garage to garage 15.2 mi. But many shorter or longer variations

todaysride 001.jpg

There are a staggering 68 individual turns and direction indicators for this “loop”! Just make sure you study it well or print this out and take it with you for reference, if this is your first time riding there.

Or just ride with someone who knows all the turns, lol! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m in. I think the most popular start/finish is the court house lower parking on Harvard just off of Harbor. Geoladders directions to trail head will get you there easily. 10 to 11 miles depending on if you do the golf course segment.

I am totally down for 10am this Saturday if it isn’t pouring rain. Hopefully I’ll have my camelbak by then.

Someone let me know where we’re meeting and I will be there for sure. Hopefully one of us knows the route! I know deadbeatpope would love to join in but he seems to be busy with work.

amiantos@gmail.com if anyone wants to contact me by email directly.

I’ll be bringing my google phone so if we get lost, satellite view in google maps should get us back on track hopefully.

EDIT: Can someone tell me what tire I should use on this ride if someone is familiar with the loop (unigeezer?)? I’ve been doing all my muni riding on my kenda kinetics tire that comes with the torker DX but my halo twin rail road tire (http://www.qbike.com/product/h/Halo-Twin-Rail-24-Tire.shtml) seems to work pretty well for muni and I like the feel of it, but I don’t want to get out there and find out I should have brought the kinetics. if the trail is mostly hard packed dirt then I think the twin rail should be fine…

Sat the 6th at 10 am. Should a miracle occur I know the place to be!

I am not familiar with those specific tires but I’d suggest you bring some traction. :sunglasses:

Although it’s only Tuesday, and the forecast often changes, as of now there’s a 70% chance of rain on Saturday, and then sunny on Sunday. How apropos! :stuck_out_tongue: