Railroad Track Rail

I am pretty sure this goes into the “Riding Advice” category.

Have any of you ever ridden on the rail of a Railroad track? If so was it difficult to master? :thinking:

I’ve haven’t seen that specifically, but there are lots of videos where folks are riding ‘skinnies’ that include lots of variations of hand rails, walls, narrow logs, features, and the like. After some of that stuff, railroad tracks are probably pretty easy. I built a skinny in my basement to practice with. Like anything, it just takes time and practice.

1 Like

That is a great idea riding on a railway line, if it is disused.

Not too high and solid and not too far to fall.

I’m starting to just ride on painted lines of outdoor netball courts on my way to work.
It’s a nice feeling with the concentration and balancing involved to ride in a straight line.

1 Like

I haven’t tried on a unicycle, but back when I was doing bike trials, I would ride the track that crossed my street - I got good enough to ride from my street to the next street over. It’s a nice width, level, easy to get started from the street crossing.

I would do it on the unicycle, but the nearest track is a mile and a half away now. So I just practice on curbs mostly.

1 Like

Ryan, where can I buy a skinny? Is that the same as a racing unicycle? I haven’t found any of those in America.

@Unicyc No, the track is still in use, but I can hear that train horn from far away. That gives me plenty of time to get of the track safely. Also, trains run on a schedule, so the timing needed to avoid them.

@MrImpossible Good! If you can ride a rail on a bike, then it is definitely possible on a unicycle. :sunglasses: I will train for this then when I get to the point I can ride.

1 Like

It’s not quite the same as a racing uni. It’s more a ‘low-calorie’ version. You CAN buy them, but some just fashion their own. Remove your tire and tube, and fill in the entire rim with Bazooka Bubblegum or saltwater taffee. I actually use feta cheese (I know, strange). From there, sculpt it into a point, and let it dry.

Skinnies are not a unicycle. They are the object you ride on. Handrails, wooden boards, rail tracks would be common for trials, in mountain unicycling (and mountain biking) it usually describes narrow wooden “bridges” (like this: The Art Of Conquering Skinnies - Ninja Mountain Bike Skills)

I’ve ridden on railroad tracks, they are a good place to practice riding skinnies. The most commonly recommended skill to learn for this would be stillstands, typically when you ride along something this narrow, the safe method is riding from stillstand to stillstand one or two revolutions at a time. If you try to correct your side to side balance too much while riding, you will turn and ride of the rail, so you stop when the cranks are horizontal, recenter your balance and start riding again.

1 Like

Ryan, I am not swapping my unicycle wheel with a pizza. LOL :smile: I double check your first post. When you said skinny, I immediately thought of those skinny wheels on those racing unicycles.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m glad you didn’t recommend I valdize my unicycle, and turn it into food. LOL :smile: Until you posted, I had no idea what a skinny was. Thank you for the clarification. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a skinny question?

Remember @anon727874 a Subway sandwich doesn’t count. :smile:

Would a wooden board work for practice? If so, how do I secure it so it doesn’t slide out from under me?

1 Like

Yes it does. I don’t secure mine but there are many ways to do that. I am sure you can figure that part out. I hop onto it even and don’t really need to secure it.

I might be remembering wrong but aren’t you very early in learning? If so, don’t worry about skinnies until you are riding while holding the seat or so.