RAAM on unis?

great, I hear you are a like a goat chased by a cougar on the uphills!

you can have them :wink:

That is definitely reassuring. Do you know if the section you and Vince did is representative of the whole route?

The route we did was an out and back from Keene Valley (near Keene) to Port Kent.
So, if you look at the profile:

http://www.adkultracycling.com/adk540/images/profile.jpg

We went from mile 45 to 14 and then 14 to 45. This includes both sides of that major spike (hill).
So, I think itā€™s fairly representative of the whole route.

If the goal were to completely maximize performance for the entire ride/team it would probably be worth getting to know the route in advance to take advantage of certain riders and equipment in certain sections. I think this became a big factor for all the teams in RTL but we didnā€™t always take full advantage of it until the later days in the race.

On the course map we did roughly from Keen to Port Henry and then back to Keene. I think thatā€™s roughly mile 20-55 on their elevation profile. So we did one of the big climbs twice (there/back). The next day we also had a casual ride out on 9n towards J which was really beautiful.
ro

Thereā€™s a ā€œpreview Rideā€ July 27th. Just one lap . . .

If it looks like we could get a team of 6 together for the main event a preview lap might be good for anyone who could make it :slight_smile:

Adirondak RAAM qualifier

The times from last year for solo riders of the whole 544 miles:

1st 41H 25M average speed : 13.1 mph
2nd 45H 45M average speed : 11.9 mph
3rd 50H 53M average speed : 10.7 mph
4th 51H 39M average speed : 10.5 mph
5th 52H 20M average speed : 10.4 mph

Course record, set 2006:
32H 16M average speed 16.8 mph

Theyā€™ve only had one team entry as far as I can see. A 2 person team, in 2000 with a time of 48H 28M average speed 11.2 mph

So, we would probably have company along the way now and then. That would add to the fun.

The entry fee looks like $250 per person (with a free T-Shirt!)

Hey Geoff! I didnā€™t know you were planning to gear up. I hope this thing comes together. It sounds like some brutal fun. And the High Peaks Region in Septemberā€¦ beautiful.

Another RTL wants in?

Yo fellow RTL lunatics. Mark called me and caught me up to date with the RAAM idea. I might be into being part of the team. September might work out well. It was a challanging course for the RTL practice, but I have gotten a lot stronger since spring. If the average needs to be in the 12MPH range, why is the talk only of guniā€™s? The last 2 days of the lobster I was doing mid 14 MPH on each 5 mile leg (except for the 2 longer climbs).

Being broke and having used up most of my marriage bonus points being away for RTL, a guni would not be in the works any time soon!

Eric- American Mojo

Obviously, many can go very fast on a fixy.
Itā€™s just a personal preference thing for me. I find spinning really quickly kind of an awkward feeling. Iā€™m sure I could build up a little more speed over time (last day of RTL I was averaging up to 14.3 mph per leg) but for me at least, I think a guni has so much more potential for going faster.