Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Pretty soon, they will be saying that about you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’ll be up and going pretty soon, you’ve already found the forum so that’s a big advantage. I wish I would have known about this when starting out, but at least I found it eventually. Just put as much time in as possible and do whatever works until you can ride comfortably.

1 Like

I’ve received many of the comments (overwhelmingly positive) mentioned in this topic.
BUT…

• Rider standing on an electric unicycle, hands in pockets, ear-buds in place: SILENCE.
  • 4 cows standing behind a fence: SILENCE (but heads slowly turning synchronously to follow the action).
  • A group of kangaroos: SILENCE (yeah, they are quiet creatures, but they are more engaged, and less likely to hop away than when a bike passes them - maybe they see a similarity with the strange upright fast moving bipedal “creature” that is the unicyclist?)

I’ve likened learing to ride a uni to learning how to walk. Once you learn, you will be hard-pressed to even think about all the things you are now thinking about in order to stay on top and keep going. Hang in there and you will get it!

Dawson

3 Likes

Last weekend, there was a guy standing by the side of the road, who looked to be very interested in what I was riding, and asked what it was called (in Dutch). He happened to be a guy from Eastern Ukraine who had live in NL for 8 or so years. So yeah he asked some questions about my uni which I happily talked about and all of a sudden the topic shifted to the war and he told me that he was pro-Russia and how bad the west was and the Americans and he found it important to mention several times that being gay is a sickness. He just couldn’t stop yapping. There was no breathing room for me to open my mouth, and I am like extremely polite and it took me well over half an hour to find a pattern in the way he talked and changed subjects. I really wanted to get a way and continue my ride, so finally found an opening and told him that I really should go and he agreed, and before I new it a new waterfall of words popped out. I understand that he just needed some stranger to tell his mind to, but why did it have to be me.
Now I will never stop for people who only ask the name of the contraption I’m riding.

2 Likes

Coming home from work yesterday. My safe commuting route includes riding though netball courts, usually empty - connecting two quiet streets.
Yesterday there were girls training. After I crossed courts around the edges, and I was leaving down the dirt track incline to join the street, I heard a female voice shout from way behind me,
“you’re amazing!” The tone was like the girl shouting out as a fan at a concert.
Beat that Mr Porsche driving mid age crisis dude… from a mid age crisis dude, actually I’m past all that… wife wasn’t impressed when I told her.

6 Likes

I keep telling my wife about all the hot female admirers I have when I’m on a unicycle. She doesn’t seem to believe me for some reason though.

6 Likes

I’ve met the odd nutter too so I never stop to chat. I also take the view that you wouldn’t walk in to the gym and interrupt me for a conversation so why should that be any different out on the street?

2 Likes

My Quote is "no quote". I see this happening regularly. Let me explain.
a.) I ride past a walker.
b.) His/Her head turns away(thinking)…“look away, don’t talk, no eye contact…”
c.) However, their eyes are pointing at me slyly, looking at my wheels(thinking). “…he’s gonna fall off and hit me…”

Although, reason for (b.) could be big city snootiness. I live in a big city, so everyone’s got problems, don’t give shit bout others. So, it’s understandable they can’t give me direct eye contact, smile and acknowledge this one wheel awesomeness that is passing by.

I really try to “help” pedestrians and dog walkers when I ride by.
I demonstrate total absolute control by slowing down, perfect pedaling, arms down, going razor straight on my side of the sidewalk. Still, they have horror in their eyes.

Sometimes, I do a quick freeze. Then rock back and do one idle. Whoa!!!
(actually, I do that for the kids who are mesmerized…“look, look, look,…how?”)

…slam…

This string is very entertaining and will “never end” for two reasons:

1.) It’s a compilation of shit “non riders” say to us!!
2.) A compilation of what to “yell back” at them.

A few tips:
a.) You are riding away. You only have chance to yell back 1-3 words.
b.) Use a loud, obnoxious roar.
c.) Feel free to quote any of your favorite come backs from this section.

Surprisingly nice comment today -

Cyclist riding towards me - see unicycle, she smiles to a grin and says as she cycles past:

That’s amazing - one wheel is definitely better than two right?!?

This was said like she knew I’d agree but not like she was a unicyclist herself.

I carried on thinking - I didn’t expect that, nice!

2 Likes

I have to say I get mostly positive comments commuting to work on my KH36.
Felt so good last week when a group of cyclists in formation, with “all the gears” all just said “Morning!” Each one of them said it, like I was respected in some way…
I have a theory, and many may disagree, but I think the reason I get positive comments is because I ride mostly using aero bars in semi prone position. It kind of looks like bicycling.

Also I don’t wear shin guards any more. They kind of look like stockings from a distance. I notice now when I have UPDs, my shins are no longer in the “line of impact”

1 Like

When riding my 29er with aerobars, it’s quite the same. And most of the time, persons don’t have time to react at the fact I’m riding a unicycle.

But do you continuously hold on to the bars. I have a handle on my 32", but when riding 10-12 km, I also like to just sit upright and relax my riding. The bars are mostly to rest my hands somewhere. Im aware that handle bars also add on to stability and create a less swerving wheel, but it is ok on rides to not hold them all the time. I did have one bike rider tell me I should hold on to them, as a joke.

When riding really slowly (less than 15km/h), sometimes I don’t hold my handlebars.
When riding at a normal pace (17 - 21 km/h), I always hold my handlebars.
And when I go fast (22 - 28 km/h), I go on my extension.
And I’m nearly always riding at a normal pace, so I nearly always hold my handlebars.

When I do long rides, I use a lot my extension to reduce the pressure on my butt.

For most of the time I’m resting my forearms on the aero bar curved cushions and holding the aerobars. It’s really comfortable and is my default position, except for approaching busy intersections, people on shared pathways that are close when passing, and hill climbing & descending 12+% grade hills.

I really enjoy being in the “tuck” position approaching intersections or roundabouts that are clear, taking one arm off aerobar stretching out to indicate, lean to that side as I turn the corner, then straighten up and bring arm and hand back on to aerobar and continue on. Feels like flying.

I think it satisfies my basic reasons for unicycling. Being a frustrated skier/snowboarder who only got to the ski fields a few days a year.
Now I feel like I am skiing to work. Same sensations to me… balance and glide.

Hoping to see a picture side-on of Aurelian on his 29” touring unicycle. The forearm rests are about a foot in front and level with his seat. I think I’m ready to set up aerobars to that configuration.

1 Like

I believe the below demonstrated healthy cycle position is easier to achieve on a unicycle with aero bars. And I am guided by it.

I’ll try to get it, but it might be hard since I would need to use my phone and I don’t have anybody to take pics right now.

just use a drone and if you don’t have one, steal it from the shop. It won’t be conspicuous entering the shop on unicycle and hurrying out. Then as you ride out quickly take pictures of your position on your uni and if nobody had noticed, bring back the drone. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Aurelian,
I’ll save you the hassle of taking selfie pics while speeding along at 28km/hr (as you posted)
Just for my own benefit, I just cut and pasted the only other similar aerobar configurations I know of.
Jana and Simon (from You-tube)

1 Like

Perfect, I have quite the same position as them, there is just the axle that might be a little bit more forward/backward.

And I don’t need to go at 28km/h to go on my aerobars. In fact, I can reach this speed, but only on short sprints of a few seconds. My max sustained speed is about 25 km/h, and I can hold it for a few minutes.