Quote of the day (from non-riders)

Out on Saturday i had a guy stop by for a chat on an E bike , he said to me that my unicycle looks like hard work so i said to him that his looks like hes ceating! With that he chuckled and headed off.

2 Likes

Ditto, I always just say «I cycle.»

2 Likes

It is indeed odd seeing unexpected unicyclists in the wild (velocipederider is my alt nick)

1 Like

“Nice hat” while completely ignoring the beautiful KH27.5 underneath me.

3 Likes

I always think that I can wear whatever I like when unicycling as everyone just pays attention to the unicycle. Maybe that’s not quite the case.

1 Like

Im conscious of what I wear as to avoid “the clown-look”. Im sure it’s different for some of your other guys, but I get enough attention without as it is, I don’t want dress too colourful on top of that.

3 Likes

The clown association really bothers me. When I was a kid I liked the attention riding a unicycle brought, as an adult that loves to ride I hate it. Being looked at like a clown and hearing comments constantly keeps me from riding in certain situations. Nobody comments on skaters, bikers scooter riders only us.
I don’t mind encouraging comments
or thumbs up but enough already with the stupid jokes. When I’m riding I’m zoned in and serious and look like a cyclist or hiker it’s not like I’m wearing a rainbow wig and juggling bowling pins. Oh well something will never change.

8 Likes

You’re not alone.

I’m with you there. I have become a lot less bothered by stupid comments than I once was, but the clown comment hurts (sorry for anyone out there who takes clowing seriously), but evne as a kid I have had an aversion to clowns and circuses. I’ve always thought them weird in a not so good way. Good weird is different. I suspect that most of us on this forum and those who like to do different things are a bit weird, but the good kind of weird!

Dawson

2 Likes

we should be proud of the “clown” comment! Clowning is a very difficult skill and shouldn’t be a used as a deprecative . Don’t insult clowns ! (where did I store my plastic red nose :thinking:??)

2 Likes

No offense to those of you that are clowns and performers, truly Nobel professions.

:rofl: :joy:

I had 2 yesterday
1st was a girl on a bike, now that is talent :slightly_smiling_face:

2nd I had stopped at a store and when getting ready to leave a guy walks up with a totally confused look and says just the front tire , I say no just 1 tire, he looks again and says in a more confused state, just one tire? he looks a bit bewildered and walks away. I think I met the only person on the planet that has never seen a uni before

3 Likes

Yesterday I got my first one in quite a while. This is due to a combination of a lot less riding (my wife was winding down to her second knee replacement so less riding/hills) and wearing headphones some of the time, which cuts out a lot of bike trail “background noise”.

But yesterday wasn’t on the bike path, or a Muni trail. It was at the checkout line at my local Safeway supermarket:
“Do you still ride?” What an excellent question! How did this guy know to ask? I’m pushing a shopping cart with two big bags of ice in it…wearing a T-shirt that says “Life Is All About Balance” with a picture of an anatomically-correct unicycle. Also I was wearing my hat that says “It took me 60 years to look this good”, that they made me wear on our trip to Hawaii. I told the guy yes. He says ‘not as much as I used to. I still have my 6-footer but it’s too hard on the knees.’ I told him I ride a 36" on the bike paths and a 26" on mountain bike trails, and he was fascinated. :grinning:

3 Likes

“That’s 2 new things today: a turkey flying and a mountain unicycle”

No, I was not the turkey flying by doing a UPD. It was an actual wild turkey flying about 40m or so.

Last weekend a biker told me I was missing a pair of wheels. Why do I have to ride a tricycle when he rides a bike. I didn’t have any balance issues.

I always wear 2 different socks. I think it is colourful and it shows I don’t take myself seriously, which I think is important. But I am called a clown sometimes when riding uni. Not sure if it is because of the socks or the uni.

After this picture made its rounds at work a co-worker from another department made a comment about me riding my Segway… At first I didn’t even get what he was talking about.

1 Like

Today, my son and @DavidTennant I went for a unicycl ride in the snow. And one guy behind us with dogs says to another guy, “that’s not something you see everyday, two unicycles”. I replied, “that’s true”. Not something I see every day, for that matter I don’t usuallly see even one unicycle.

1 Like

Kind of the same for the socks, but it only shows that my washing machine occasionally swallows my socks, leaving one sock from each pair. :woozy_face:

1 Like