Quote of the day (from non-riders)

I’m giving myself a thumbs down on that. If I do it, I will need to be much more fluent with the rolling mount. I did see a video of a little Dutch gal using a rollback mount of a 36er, but I’d really need to improve my idling abilities if I was to do that…

I am happy with my 24 and 27.5" mounting though, and even with success on slight uphills. :slight_smile:

Also I seem to have lost my ability to hop right foot back on my KH24. :frowning: Maybe its me getting better with left foot back on the 27.5 and the 29er that has screwed up my right foot back hopping… i’ll go back to the trials uni and practice the heck out of it on there.

Link of the Dutch girl

https://www.facebook.com/olafontdekt/posts/4121778327949983

I think a rolling mount is really the best option. Even if you can do other mounts the rolling mount is the easiest option when you’re tired in the middle of a long ride.

1 Like

A rollback mount also works well, but only on flat smooth ground. The one I have problems with on a 36er is the static mount. It’s just too much of a leap to get up on top of that big wheel.

A rollback mount is very hard to do on a 36" and I find you really need long 150mm+ cranks to be able to pull one off. Rolling is by far the easiest mount but I typically use a static mount for mine with almost 100% success unless I’m tired or it’s very steep.

The main concern is developing the muscle strength required to mount and ride it. So daily practice for months is a must.

Maybe a nightfox frame would be better for me, that way I can put the seat lower, hopefully leap up to the top of the frame then ride off….

1 Like

That’s what lamp posts are for :wink:
:rofl: :joy:

Not always an option!

6 Likes

:rofl: :joy:

On my last ride… “I supposed you save on tyres with that”. Loved it, new and clever.

2 Likes

I had a police officer stop his car on the side of the road asking me if someone had stolen my other wheel this morning.

Not the most original joke, but the novelty of a police officer asking me tickled me.

2 Likes

You should have told him you wanted to file a police report and get it back.

4 Likes

Recently an old man in a wheelchair told me that he wished he could still ride his unicycle.

2 Likes

I was chatting with a cyclist who rode alongside me for a while this morning and just as he left he said “Maybe if you’re a good boy you’ll get the other wheel for Christmas”. I thought that was a great comment and one of the best I’ve had in a while.

3 Likes

Almost every unicyclist would like to get another wheel (as you never can enough unicyles).
But I guess the comment was meant to mean something different.

2 Likes

Yes unicycle love but it’s enough I think for me. If Eleven unis, it’s hard to find the best and two of them are awarded. I hope the people have fun with it.

Here’s a few from last few weeks -

Walking my 36" up a local road, I had a pickup driver slow down and ask if I was ok. I said I was fine - but not that good and still learning. He said that I picked a hard hill to start on, and we went good naturedly back and forth a bit, until he realized, “oh, you only have one wheel!”

While riding, I heard a sudden exclamation of “unicycle!” from behind me and then a school bus of elementary aged kids passed by. Lots of shouts from the bus of “you’re awesome”, to which I returned in kind. I also got a thumbs up from the bus driver.

I’ve been riding almost every weekend in the neighborhood, but still get a lot of surprised smiles and waves. However, during a lunchtime walk, a car slowed down and the driver express concern that I had been out a bit past dark the last time the saw me. So, I think my reputation has gone up from local oddity status. Someone actually cares :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Today I had an UPD on an uphill on a little rough surface.
A man passing by asked:
“Ist dir der Sprit ausgegangen?” (Have you run out of gas?)

Actually he was right because I couldn’t go any further.

2 Likes

Last weekend I went riding in the forest which I hadn’t done in nearly a year. There were 5 people who asked me if I had lost the other half of my bike. How cliché can they be. One even dared to ask if I work in a circus. I told him unicycling is a sport.

1 Like

The tragedy is they all think they’re being original and funny :roll_eyes:

2 Likes