Quote of the day (from non-riders)

That one’s the best! LOL! :smiley:

Just tell him “I have to or it hangs down and gets caught in the spokes”.

No idea if Aus is the same, but here in good ol’ Manchester UK it’s basically just another ‘generic offense word’ to call someone stupid and ugly. ‘You look like a complete F***in’ weapon’.

U.P.D. in front of cows grazing …
they gathered around me … expecting something … But I had nothing to offer.

Disappointed animal: “Mooooo!” (can’t translate: I don’t speak bullish :D)

In view of his earlier comment, that was really witty!

I think it translates as “guys, this thing is not edible, let’s go back to grass”.

I had trained my sprints on the local athletics track, and pedaled my 24" race uni back home along a cycle path at a relaxed pace. A group of three teenage girls on bikes passed me.
One of them said: “Oohhh, dat wil ik ook… kunnen”.
This translates literally as “Oohhh, I want that too… be able to”. Which is not grammatical in English but it is in Dutch.

Probably her first thought simply was: I want that, but then she realised that she couldn’t just do it, so she added the last verb after a short but audible hesitation.

Very similar to the above, there was a party of schoolkids out when I was riding around town recently, various complimentary comments, but my fave was “I wish I could do that”. I’ve recently moved house, so enjoying all the positive comments from people who’ve not seen me before.

What may be an original comment for this thread though:
“There’s always one isn’t there” - not referring to me at all, but to the chap who’d just come out with a hilariously original comment about having lost half my bike. For those who think you should always respond positively, that comment was followed by the sort of snigger which made it clear the intent of the comment (and clearly the second chap recognised that too).

So for being friendly rather the second chap got a positive social interaction -
me: “I’ve heard comments like that hundreds of times, I tend to just ignore them”
him: “I wondered what he was on about until you came past” (the first chap was walking towards me, I was coming up behind the second one).

Whilst out walking, I don’t think a unicyclist has every passed by me in my entire life so that’s probably the case for the majority of the walkers I pass, now I’ve learnt to ride. Despite that, I’m struck by how quickly people respond to the sight with the “You’ve lost a wheel” comment. It’s as if the response is somehow instinctive!

I rarely hear anything new enough to post in this thread but today while I was giving Hannah the dog some water as we looked out from Sunset View Park over the Olympic Mountains after a flat-out 1.5 mile ride on the Coker, I saw a very old woman on a park bench with a much younger woman I presumed to be her grand daughter. The old woman said, “I’ve never seen a unicycle before.” To which I replied, “then how did you know it was a unicycle?” And she answered, “I don’t know. How did I know that?”

Maybe she lost her other wheel.

Perfect sunny morning riding favorite downhill MUNI trail recently. Suddenly came upon young guy hiking uphill alone. He yells,“That is hard core” at me.

Riding past some young guys just hanging about.

One says, “That is a movement. That IS a movement.”

Like so many expressions from the young, I have no idea what he meant.

My Hatchet seems to elicit more reactions than the other unis. A boy, who had to fetch his dog impressedly said „ugh“. His mother 50 meters later whispered „what‘s that?“ to her friend.
Later on I scared a dog, whose owner stated „he‘s scared because he‘s never seen anything like that before.“
(She probably hadn’t either.)

A woman out sitting outside a pizza shop with two teenage girls as I rode past. “It’s the unicycle boy”.

Next thing I hear the sound of two people running behind me. I made sure not to lose any speed lest they catch me and discover the “boy” was probably old enough to be their grandfather.

I often ride at night and suspect a lot of people think I am much younger than I am.

Today I was riding in the forest where I always ride, though today I focused mostly on offroad and at some point a mountainbiker passed me and he said “Dat heb ik nou nog nooit gezien”. (I have never seen that before). I guess it is the sad truth that there are just too few of us.

I sometimes think I should just fill a page with all the quotes I get from a single ride. I think the best from last night was having my full name called from a pub garden across the other side of the canal (with a slight pause after the first name) as I was remounting my giraffe. Somebody I haven’t seen in a long time was somewhat surprised to see what I was doing.

The negative ones are invariably followed by a snigger - riding past a pub with a load of just blokes standing outside seems to be the worst for this as there’s the macho need to put you down; “on your bike” was the best they could come up with (as above I was riding my giraffe which receives a universal positive reaction from all but those overloaded with testosterone and alcohol). Though the positive reactions far outweigh that.

Actually another one from a group of “lads” a bit earlier - after me ignoring various stupid comments, one of them asked how my balls were, followed by:
“you probably don’t have any balls”
The comeback was obvious:
“I have way more balls than you do” :slight_smile:

…like a sockful of pâté. Or a haggis

While buying a six-pack of T.W. Pitchers’ Grapefruit and Blood Orange Radler, and after telling another shopper–who commented that grapefruit and blood orange sounded interesting–that I had mainly picked it up because of the unicyclist illustrated on the package, then answering a number of questions from the cashier and bagger about unicycles and unicycling, the cashier says, “You’re the coolest person I know.” :sunglasses: :smiley:

A new one for me this morning a group of Lycra loonys going the other way and one yelled out its the balance man .