Quote of the day (from non-riders)

You should have said “no, actually there are no wheels…this is just a figment of your imagination!”

I may have already posted this comment, but I’m not sure.

Anyway, not long ago, while riding my 36er on the beach bike path, some guy yelled out…and very angrily I might add…

“Hey man, this isn’t the F###ING 1800’s, get a F###ING Bike!”

I didn’t know how to respond or even wanted to; the guy looked like he would go postal any second! It really seemed as if he was personally offended by seeing me riding one wheel! :astonished:

“go postal” is an expression I’ve not heard before. Pretty sure I can guess the meaning from the context but would love to know the origin of that one.

Working for an American organisation I like to keep track of the subtle differences between English English and American English;)

BTW - no reply seemed the best and safest option IMHO:)

That expression (“going postal”) has been in the American lexicon for quite a long time; here’s the origin: Going postal - Wikipedia

There’s even a book by that name!

Many thanks - I should have googled it, didn’t realise it was that common as I’d never heard it before. I like to maintain my cultural awareness:D One of the great things about this forum is that it helps to do that.

Since you were on a 36, you could have said something and actually got away with it! What is he going to do? Chase you? You probably made a good decision, though. I would have said “I didn’t know unicycles existed in 1800,” or “where’s your originality?”

I’m not one to shy away from the witty rejoinder, but I was already going at a good clip, and there was also lots of the usual beach crowd noise, so I just kept going, but with a pretty big grin, since I thought it was pretty funny. :stuck_out_tongue: Sometimes people like that get even more upset when you simply ignore/snub them, and they don’t get the response they expected.

i always get, “can you juggle too?”
or “when were you in the circus?”
:stuck_out_tongue:

Having just ridden a tough section on my muni, a guy said “You’re an animal” I thanked him and pointed to his dog and said, “No, he’s an animal”

On the trail in Pennant Hills Park yesterday I passed 2 mountain bikers and the lead one said “why use 2 wheels when 1 will do” to which I replied “yeah half the trouble”.A pleasant change from"lost a wheel ha ha ha"and I surprised myself by having a reply.I usually think of a suitable reply about a day after the event.:slight_smile:

I was on the train with my brother, so that are two unicyclists, and while we were walking to our place, someone called “Hey, where’s the other one?” and when my brother passed, he just said “Oh… There it is.”

It’s an excellent book, too.

So today Unreal-Wheel and I somehow got talking to these two s about unicycling and they were asking us all these questions like, “Are you in the circus?”, “What do you mean, extreme unicycling?” “What tricks can you do?”, etc. etc. and a few minutes into the conversation one of the s asks, “Wait, what’s a unicycle?” Apparently she was thinking of a tricycle, but seriously…

hahahaha yeah that was really funny.

girls in our french class = stupid

Today there was class for new Segway owners at the park. They were on the sidewalk along where I was riding.

I couldn’t help feeling snobbish, that they needed all that high tech, not to mention 2 wheels to do the things that unicycles could do. I sorta mimicked them a bit, when they weaved down the walk, or when off in the grass, I copied them. It would have been fun to have a smaller wheel, (I was on the Nimbus 36), so I could have idled along with them as well.

One rider asked me, “Is that a lot of work, is it any fun?” I told him it was great fun! I’m always discouraged that folks don’t see how much fun I’m having. I’m flying high, soaring down walkway, having a great time. They seem to mostly see is how hard I’m exercising. Must be the sweat running down my face.

Yesterday while I was riding up a steep section of the trail, a biker coming down, stopped and asked:

“Are you going downhill too?”

Me: “At my age, it’s all downhill from here!” :stuck_out_tongue:

haha that’s a good answer xD not that it’s true… >.< … well anyways

I was riding some trials and some guy came up to me, looked like a druggy and I WAS RIGHT :smiley: well he said
WOW, Thats one of those… U… ni… cycles? (in norwegian of course) and i said yea and he asked for a demonstration… that was fun :smiley: dont ussually get a LOT of comments…

Muni addict… THAT WAS HILARIOUS!!!

A Non-Rider Sees the Connection

Cruisin’ the big wheel through a botanical garden,
I see a guy I’ve rode by before. He sez:
“That’s a lot like that stand up surfing”.
( SUP- stand up paddle)
I say,
“Funny you mention it. That’s the other thing I do the most of.”
He sez:
''I have a friend who SUPs and it involves a lot of balance."

The picture is an example of SUP and is not me. I like to catch waves when I can.

IMG_7080-1.JPG

Riding around campus after dark when:

One guys says: “Dude! that is so hard core!”

Another guys nect to him then says: “Dude, Dude! That guy’s core is hard!”

I’m thinking that they were slightly under the influence, but I just laughed to myself as i rode away:)