Quote of the day (from non-riders)

I know somebody who says a relative started riding an eenwieler in the Netherlands because they are free on public transport? (Pedestrian with object?) :smiley:

That is funny. But does this mean that you get the best of both worlds (choose between pedestrian and cycling rules) or are in the wrong all the time?

In the Netherlands you have to pay for bicycles on the train. With the proof I got from the government that unicycles are not bicycles, the train companies can’t charge me. I don’t know if there is a limit on how big items can be that you take on the train, but a uni isn’t that big.
Unicycles are only allowed on the pavement, if there is one, so when there is pavement and a cycle path, I’m not allowed to ride on the cycle path, which I do nevertheless, because it is easier to ride there. Also lights are mandatory on bicycles, but not on pedestrians, so technically when there are lampposts, I don’t have to have additional light. They recently created a law that it is not allowed to use your mobile phone while riding a bike, but peds can still use them while walking. The only time I would use a mobile while on uni is to film myself, otherwise if I don’t look at where I’m going I will no doubt UPD.

Ed was connected to other unicyclists before he started his big ride, but I don’t know if any of them were nerdly uni-scholars like us. In other words, that may have been what they always called them. Alternately, he might call it a bike because it’s easier/quicker to say, and maybe easier to keep the flow of his narration going.

I sometimes reply to that one with “This wheel ate it!”

Ed was probably confronted by all sorts of dogs in all sorts of cultures. Ownerless dogs, free-range, car-chasing dogs, guard-the-property dogs, etc. In my experience watching dogs watch unicycles, I think they don’t usually treat them like bikes because they’re not used to them. The unicycle moves differently from a bike, so they may perceive it as some different “animal”. I’ve seen a lot of dogs just watch, and tilt their heads back and forth.

I talk to my dogs too. I know they don’t understand my words. So I don’t have an issue with people providing their dogs with inaccurate information. :slight_smile:

Next it’ll be Trumpspeak – if it isn’t already… :astonished:

For what it’s worth, in the early 80s the unicyclists in Sweden were using “enhjuling”. Possibly different spelling…

My gosh. Too funny! It’s all in the technicalities. I was thinking the same, I was riding a uni and texting at the same time. You aren’t allowed to drive a car and touch a mobile phone here in Aus, but I can ride a uni and text… I can’t ride a bike and text though, because I need to hold a handle on my bike when I ride and so texting doesn’t work…

You can’t let go of handle of the bike, now that you learned to ride uni, or you couldn’t even before that?

I could before I learned to ride uni, but now it feels too weird to let go. A bike responds differently from a uni and I feel I’m less in control. Unicyclists are weird creatures :slight_smile:

It’s the same. You see this if you go to UDC Sweden and all the unicycles are under the heading Enhjulingar (the ‘ar’ ending just pluralises it in Swedish).

Also, from the other thread

Additionally, sometimes I search for unicycle related stuff on Twitter. If I search for “enhjuling” it is mainly Swedish. That said, if I want Norwegian only results I can do “enhjuling (lang:no)”, which is a handy tip for anyone here on Twitter. Actually if you want to search all of Twitter for Norwegian references to unicycles, this would do the job fairly well: “(enhjuling (lang:no)) OR enhjulssykkel OR etthjulssykkel”. I intentionally do not force Norwegian surrounding text on the latter two words, as there is no need to exclude Swedish in those cases. It also brings up more results where some English and Norwegian are used together.

The question is why anybody who is not scandinavian, would even want to search for Norwegian unicycle stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

Searching for the English “unicycles” gives already enough hits.

I am not Scandinavian and search for unicycle stuff all the time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Really? from where do you hail then? Naturally I was only kidding. Every now and then I search for unicycle stuff in Danish, as I used to live there and still visit it 4 times a year.

Technically I am British/Irish. Though I never actually lived in Ireland. I have however lived for a several years (as a kid) in the US/California (I even had a green card at one point) and am now onto my eleventh year in Norway.

If you base it on my time living in countries and how they have likely influenced me, I guess you could argue that I am primarily British, then Norwegian, perhaps even little American and not really Irish as all… but the only passport I currently have that is valid is Irish. So who knows… I am a mess. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the positive side: an Irish passport may be much better soon for someone who is half British and 1/3rd Norwegian. :sunglasses:

Far more dogs act aggressively towards me when I’m on the uni, than if I’m on a bike. So much that it is actually an issue in my riding. I’ve been bitten by dogs several times, sometimes requiring medical treatment.
That is, in the Netherlands. I participated in the recent unicycle tour in Cambodia. There are lots of dogs there but almost all of them ignored us.

We don’t have a Dutch word/phrase for all-wheel drive. (We do have a word for four wheel drive though.) So, when I make that comment in Dutch, I use the English phrase all wheel drive.

In Dutch it’s about the same as in German. We have ‘fiets’ which includes unicycles and tricycles. But I think that most people feel that in a stricter sense, ‘fiets’ refers to a bicycle. I rarely if ever call my unicycle a ‘fiets’ because of this ambiguity.
Do German unicyclists (not talking about the general public) often use ‘Fahrrad’ to describe their unicycle? I thought that ‘Einrad’ is more often used.

No we use “Fahrrad” as fiets or bicycle and “Einrad” for unicycle (of eenwieler)

This is true. In addition, Norway has recently allowed dual nationality (it was only possible before in very certain cases). Since I have lived here for a while (plus I am married to a native), I could now apply for Norwegian citizenship, without having to give up my British and Irish.

Passports are like Pokémon, right? Gotta Catch 'Em All :stuck_out_tongue:

Absolutely. But at least it is not (technically) wrong. :wink: And the activity of riding a cycle (radfahren) may be even more universal and independent of the number of wheels that the rider uses in one machine.
I may have lost some native feel for German after having lived in the U.K. for 25 years but I would say radfahren (cycle riding) rather than unicycle riding.
Anyway, as initially mentioned, all a bit nerdish but still good fun. :smiley:

Riding up a long hill on my Coker the other day, a cyclist passes me.

Cyclist: “For a moment I thought you were that Ed guy on YouTube. You know him?”

Me: “Yeah.” Then pausing tho think, “I wish I had that sort of time”

Amazing that bicyclist know about Ed.

On my commute home, an older lady said quietly to what I presume are were her grandchildren (after one of them pointed at me),

“That’s really dangerous!”

It was clearly not intended for me to hear but I caught it. So I replied loudly with,

“It’s not that dangerous!”

as I sailed by. No time to think of something smarter, plus the above is a rough translation from Norwegian, and I don’t think fast enough in Norwegian to come up with witty replies. I just wanted to quickly dismiss the obvious lie. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last month I went into the local liquor store to buy some beer right after my practice session. I had the uni with me and I was decked out in pads.

The attendant (who I know really well) said in a quiet voice “No muy gusto”. I replied “Si, muy stupido…”. He replied “MUUYYYY STUPIDO…”

Chief

1 Like

Riding on snow, a man with his grand-son, when I arrived at their level, he says “easy would be dull” a few minutes later, climbing a bridge ramp, another one said " he is good the kid". Unicycling makes you younger, like a 60yo kid!