Promoting Unicyling

I really would like to see unicycling gain popularity. Not to the point where there is ‘Kris Holm Pro Unicylist’ for the Xbox, but at least to the point where bike stores had unicycle hardware and equipment on the shelf. With that said I think if all of us start flooding sites like YouTube and Myspace with unicycling videos, articles, blogs, etc… It could be really good for unicycling.

I wonder how many of you would agree that the unicycle.com has almost a complete monopoly in America, and there is alot of room for more competition.

Flooding YouTube and Myspace wouldn’t help much…people would just start thinking, “Geez, another unicycling video??”

the San Diego unicycle club have been trying to promote it as best we can. The lbs we all go to now has a 20" lx, and 24" lx, and a 26" lx, as well as a 19" torker DX, a 19" nimbus hoppley(YAY!), a 24" nimbus muni, 2 puke/booger colored secial edition 16" cx’s they haven’t been able to sell, and a bunch of unicycle hardware including two 24" by 3" duro wildlifes, a 24" by 3" gazz, 3 nimbus gel seats, 2 KH seats, a bunch of seatposts, a maxxis CC and replacement lift handles. they also hope to get a KH trials and freeride in sometime soon.

In one week they sold 5 torker Lx’s and a KH freeride!!!

-miles

also, youtube is already flooded with unicycle videos:)

Abso-FREAKING-lutely! They have the market CORNERED! We need waaaaay more competition!:smiley:

Not really… out of all the unicycles my family has, and friends around here we taught to ride, only my qu-ax trials came from UDC.

thats not unicycle hardwhere

why and no

sorry for the comfusion I meant unicycle related:slight_smile:

I’m just gonna throw out the Illinois point of view on the monopoly of UDC. DEFINITELY!! And I can assure you we don’t have a unicycle club promoting anything. And if anyone questions UDC’s monopoly, just ask yourself why it has it’s on accrynim.

But I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. Having more competition in the market won’t result in competitive pricing. The small market (compared to biking and others) that exists is one based on quality, not cost.

But I must say that I would enjoy a growing popularity!

-Brian

i understand what you’re trying to say… but…

do you remember when skateboarding was a minority? you never saw “no skate boarding” signs. then one day, it became hip and cool to skate. everyone skated. it became commonplace. then you go into a store, and they had all these crappy skateboards. tv commercials and were loaded with all these posers and they had like kids with skateboards modeling clothes in J.C. penny catalogs… cause the marketing dept “knows what kids want”, even though the ad execs are always like 5 years behind what’s really going on… etc.
tony hawk was a household name, and on the cover of Good Housekeeping.

everything got so saturated, and it really kind of got ruined. it took all the mystique out of it.

do you really want to go into Wal-mart, K-mart, Target or whatever, and see a bunch of crappy unicycles? your town littered with little kids, all wearing their imitation sixsixone pads, riding some shit uni they got at Walgreen’s, with teenage mutant ninja turtle graphics on the frame?

kind of cheapens the whole thing…

do you want awareness?
do you want it to spread through suburban america like a disease?
do you want Kris Holm action playsets?
do you want a Razor scooter?
do you want to “Do the Dew” on a unicycle?

maybe i missed the point…

oh well,
enough of my restless banter…

october

haha, october-- I love you.
(iSpam.)

thanks, new kid…

i’m glad someone finds my rants entertaining…

always the cynic,

oct.

octobers 100% correct, although a ninja turtles uni would be pretty damn sweet (thats my opinion) but ya. i dotn see unicycling getting too overrated ever. but you never know, and that would suck if it did

i think the best way to promote unicycling is to go out and ride. show off to people and let them take interest in the the sport.

I know it’s not US but Bedford is just up north a bit:)

Re: Promoting Unicyling

Agreeing all the way with October, although I’m from Amsterdam, The
Netherlands, and not the USA.

tomtrevor enlightened us with:
> i think the best way to promote unicycling is to go out and ride.
> show off to people and let them take interest in the the sport.

Definitely. I know that’s how I started. I was thinking about getting
a unicycle, then one day I saw a girl “walking” her dog on a unicycle.
That triggered me into actually buying one. A week later, my
girlfriend got one too, and now the kids in the neighbourhood want to
get unis too.

That’s promoting unicycling!

Sybren

The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
capital punishment for stupidity, but why don’t we just take the
safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Frank Zappa

i dont know what to do…

I ride everyday on the streets, i talk to the people… i point where to buy unis… i also did a wekly unicycling meeting…

but peoples just dont care…

the only guys who cares is the bmx flatlanders…

iam kind tired to try to promote this…

Stay tuned at the uniconnews, and wait for the episode that has the inteview with Mat Hoffman (who I interviewed in Germany last weekend on THIS topic).

I am really glad almost everyone got the point of this post and agrees.

The problem with trying to just ride to promote, is that seeing someone on a uni does not help them purchase one (it does help plant a seed).

I think for you on the west coast you may not see the problem as much. But here in the midwest even Bike shops are rare and I live 7 miles from downtown kansas city.

Hell yes.