What brake/brake mount are you using?

Looks sweet good work.

The brake mount is called “Big cheese”

Big cheeeeeeese…

Big beaten…

[threadjack]

Evan, what uni is that in your avatar?

[/threadjack]

Nice job, I had thought of making one, but didn’t have the stuff, My idea was to have a comfy pad that goes behind your legs to support the break similar to the pads that you rest you arms on on aero bars. That would any problems of the platforms turning under your feet. Either that or those full sized Bedford platforms would give added control when breaking.

Tyler

Many thanks!

What about slotting your frame (to allow vertical adjustment) and attaching the brake mount with proper bolts? Those pipe clamps aren’t meant to do much more than clamp pipes.

It looks like the clamp “tail” hangs out from the frame. I’ve never ridden a BC before but it looks like that could make a nasty slice in your leg.

that’s a very good idea. but one thing I don’t like is that it requires hands… there must be a way to mount the handle on the ‘frame’ you added, so you can press it with your leg.
also, the frame is longer than the platforms. this would make it harder to balance, I think, since the frame might make the platforms want to flip over. I’m pretty sure it would make a rolling jump mount impossible, at the very least…

I have to say I am very impressed and I think this is your best idea yet. But to solve the above issue. what if you extended the ‘frame’ to include like a scooter wheel or similar thing to roll on the ground in front of you and not be attached to the plates. That way you would be able to apply gradual braking power without having to deal with the plates wanting to turn. This would probably limit the amount of ‘extreme’ junk you could do but I’m not sure I’d want to do it with that much extra stuff anyway. You might need to extend the cable too, my arms are were swinging an awful lot when learning. I attached a pic. Also on a sidenote I had my two first big BC wipeouts today where I was going to fast to runout and ate sidewalk and or dirt. I’ve been riding a few months and just working on small stuff in my driveway for the most part. The first time I went down and the wheel came after me in the air and hit me in the side. The second time I dove for dirt and the wheel launched into traffic causing an 18 wheeler to swerve out of the way (no joke, I am very thankful) before it launched off a curb traveled 15 feet in the air and hit a house. And to think it happened on Mulberry St. It would have been sweet to see and I hope passerby’s got a good show. Neither I was hurt, not evn my dignity cause they were both freaking sweet. A brake may have come in handy though I probably wouldn’t have used it in pursuit of a record. Anyway, the pic.

(note the flame to give the idea of speed)

but then it wont be a uni

Thats a great idea and all with the front wheel, (and I say that in all honesty) But then it would have two wheels…

I mean come on… two wheels.

But,DOnt the seconf wheel only go when you fall off and drop the frame?

Definitely need some antilock braking mechanism.

(Might want to add fuel injectors, too.)

All to say, very nice work!! Very nice, indeed!

No, Archie meant for it to be constantly down, stabilizing the legs from wobbling.

What I want to know, is, What keeps the frame from flying back when the brake is applied. Meaning, what holds the brake legs to the plates.

Metal.

It never was a uni, it is a BC wheel, and some. It wouldn’t be able to support any weight or stabilise you at all its only purpose is to hold the brake there. It just makes it so you no longer have to worry about the frame trying to turn the plates and dump you. Sorta like a permanent seat drag in the front but its a brake and it rolls instead of drags. If it would make you feel better I guess it could be a roller or ski or something. If you put a trailer on a 4 wheeler is it still a 4 wheeler?

To FFU,
It isn’t attached to the plates, it can turn a full 360 around the wheel. It hangs loose like a uni frame. Again it doesn’t support any weight it just holds the brake in place.

Once the brake wa applied all you would have to worry about is the braking force of the wheel sending you forward. Where as without you have to worry about that plus the stress that the brake would put on the plates to turn. Whether that force is strong enough to affect you we don’t know. Its hard to explain but it seems to me like you would be ale to ease on the brake easier. Maybe someone physicsaly (yup I said it) could explain more. It seems more practical to me.

Plus if you fell on it it would just swing out of the way as opposed to being rigid.

David

COuld you be more specific?

There seems to be nothing attatching the plates and leg-pieces. Also it seems like when the brake is applied, the brake and legs would just grip to the wheel and roll back along with it hitting the ground. I’m assuming that evan is a bit more intelligent than that, as a single testing would prove if this is the case.

What about a disk brake?

Nice idea!

Is there enough room under the platforms for calipers of a disk brake system. Advantages are that the braking system would be pretty much invisible to the rider because the calipers would be located underneath the platforms. Secondly, you would have gentler braking on a smaller diameter disk than you would on the rim.