Post Your MUni here!

I wanted to totally strip my KH MUni frame, but didn’t want the mess of paint strippers, which I’ve always hated! So then I almost bought a “soda blaster”, which is an “eco-friendly” alternative to sand blasting, which would be way to harsh for aluminum. But I didn’t want to spend over $150 for the thing, not knowing if it would do the job well, so I called my LBS for an opinion, and they told me they would do it for me at the bike shop!

They used a blow torch and simply heated the surface, and then using a metal brush, removed all the 5+ layers of old paint, plus the original KH blue powder coating. Cost: $10! (I gave them $20 since they are so helpful and usually don’t charge me much or at all for truing, brake bleeding,etc.)

So after I got home I wet sanded it and then repainted it in my signature “Desert Camo” theme, this time using smaller stencil patterns. Came out nice! :smiley:

DSC02289.JPG

I think this pic is a bit closer to the actual look. The pic above was taken with a flash, which made it look a bit shiny, but it’s actually pretty flat, which is what I like.

looking good!!! My MUni needs refurbishing too

Here’s the latest update. I wanted to add brakes. So, in order to do that, I replaced my frame with one that had braze ons. This new frame has a different seat post size, so I had to buy a new seat post. Then, I needed the bracket under my seat for the brake lever.

Once I put the wheel on the new frame and the new brakes, I found that the tire wasn’t centered in the frame and the rim was rubbing on the new brakes. Brought out the truing key and centered, trued and tightened up all of the spokes. There is also a CF seat base that I added a few years ago.

From my original Nimbus 24X3, the only thing that is original, is the tire and the tube. I’m on my 3rd frame. The original frame had gotten run over at a New York Muni meet several years ago.

Looks pretty, now I just gotta get out and try the new brakes on the trails.

I felt that my latest desert camo theme was too “busy”, with an excessive number of smaller shapes. Today I tore it all down again, an did it over with larger, and fewer shapes. I like it better. First shot is before.

Yeah I like the new paint scheme better too! How durable is the spray paint you’re using? A professional powder coat is supposed to be tougher, but I really like the idea of being able to custom paint my unicycle on a whim.

I’ve checked, and powder coating can’t do that kind of multi-color pattern. Pretty much solid colors only. I love the desert camo theme mainly because it’s more interesting to me than solid colors, which I find boring.

Also, I spray on a couple clear matte coats, then burnish when dry with quad-0 steel wool. Pretty durable but even scratches don’t really show because of the camo pattern, and in a way even makes it look better! A few “battle scars” always make it look more authentic! plus I just like the freedom of being creative and coming up with my own thing. Solid colors are common, with a certain “sameness”. I want my MUni to be more UNIque! :sunglasses:

I like it better like that Terry! Keep you Camo designs on you unis, it’s UNIque as you said and it looks cool!:slight_smile: I’d post my Muni, but the only part that changed since my last picture is the seatclamp, now it’s red instead of black:p

EDIT: Both of my pedals are the same now:p I was riding 2 different pedals last summer.

Finally got my geared Muni…

…and loving it.

L1040314.JPG

L1040311.JPG

>: O now I’ve got drool on my keyboard, thanks. >: /

Nice! I wish I could afford one of them things!

Awsome muni’s! Do you know the outer diameter of the Rubber Queen
26x2.4" tyre ? As im curious to know if it will fit in a KH24’’ frame or Nimbus
24’’ muni frame, im keen to build up a 26’’ and I thought I could possibly save money by using either of my 24’’ frames.

I’ve heard from bike reviews that that tyre pinch flats? Have you had this before? Also does the loss of a 3’’ tyre volume affect what unicycle can roll over. Thanks.

A very rough diameter for the Rubber Queen is 705mm on a KH 47mm Rim. I expect you will need a 26" frame. There was only 1 or 2 mm clearance in the old KH 26" frame (the version with the lower crown).

I’ve not ridden a 26x3" tyre so cannot compare the ride qualities but it’s really not that much smaller, just a lot lighter!

I run my tyre with a tubeless set-up so have not had any pinch-flat issues. I did have a couple of thorn based punctures before the conversion to tubeless however, no issues since.

Nice Splodge, loving those blue nipples. :smiley:

Thanks Jap for the info :smiley: Im sooo keen to get a 26’’ muni!

I haven’t noticed any difference in rolling ability after I switched from the 26x3". The Rubber Queen really isn’t that much smaller. The reduced weight does make steep climbs a lot easier.

Yes! 26ers are great fun :smiley:

Ok, cool thanks, Ive got a 24’’ with a Gazz and want a 26’’ setup. Iv’e Just gota save up!

Nimbus 29er with Sinz cranks MountainUni Disk Brake…

Thats pretty cool man. You should keep us updated on how well it holds up!

How much did the disk brake set up cost?

This is my Nimbus 26 with Maguras, spooner, and 165’s that I swapped for dual hole 125/150’s… I think a disk brake will go on the 36er before this one since I have the 29er set up. I kept stalling with the 165’s, I can idle better with the 150’s and I have brakes if I need 'em!

!6.JPG