post your homemade handlebars here!

I think that you should go with a mechanical disk brake for your prototype (like the TRP Spyke) to keep the complexity of the system as low as possible…

I agree with the twist shifter, mechanical diskbrake ideas as a first prototype. I’d start on one side first, minimal complexity and that should already help to tell you if you are on a good track. All you would need to do is disable the ratcheting mechanism and adapt a cable to work. (It will not result in a satisfactory product, but at least give you some idea of the leverages you should aim for)

I’m a bit skeptical on the ergonomics, because separating twisting and pulling is probably harder than isolating the movement of one finger. But motorcycle throttles also work that way, and I like your thinking. Much in the same way that I would love to test a suspension unicycle, I think that this concept deserves some exploration, even if I doubt it will prove superior.

That is my concern, as well.

My G26 is built in a Nimbus Muni frame. It currently has a Magura brake setup. That is not mechanical, however. I will have to research what the cabled alternatives are for a unicycle.

I bought long ago some V-Brakes adapters for Magura mounts and some people on this forum made custom versions of it (a bit of search is in order…).

Yet again, that would require an initial validation of how the brake feels with the regular lever in order to make sure you can make the difference between your idea and the Magura/V-Brakes differences.

I would prefer not to change too many variables. It’d be nice to keep my current brake setup. Thanks for the hint where to look!

I didn’t get exactly what you wanted to do. Do you want two brake levers connected to the same brake? If that is what you’re looking for, you should try a Shimano GRX inline secondary brake lever.

Thanks for the info. Right now, the most important thing is finding out if the braking pressure can be controlled separately from the control over the handle. I suppose that could be tested without a full brake setup. Maybe there is a way to test if the twist shifters can, at the very least, be held in the same position during a ride on uneven terrain.

I repurposed a set of clip-on aerobars that a bike shop was throwing away, into a handlebar for my 29" wheel that I use for errands and casual road riding.

I used just one of the bars, but both of the handlebar mounts in tandem, bolted to a KH-style homemade stiffener plate. Result is rock solid and works well, though I would like to to be able to adjust the angle - I’d like to point it a little downward.

The silver bar end stub is to lock my hand in place when I’m climbing, and pulling up on the bar.

2 Likes

@MrImpossible I have never tried such a setup. I am sensitive to changes in the width of of my own bar setup. I narrowed the Shadow T on one of my unicycles and wasn’t happy with the outcome. I would even consider widening my bar setup, though that is limited by the stock width of my Shadow T. Your setup is as narrow as they come. I imagine that a certain side-to-side leverage I get on my own bar setup would be absent on a single bar-end. Also, my handholds tend to be more inward-facing. Ergonomically, I have trouble imagining being comfortable, having a natural wrist position, on your setup. I assume it works well for you…

For riding one handed, I really like a single centered pointing-straight-ahead grip. The only wheel I ride two handed is my 36", which does have parallel grips at the end, but even that one I mostly ride with one hand in closer, on the single bar part.

1 Like

I like that mounting setup to the stiffener plate, pretty neat design!
In germany we tend to call this style of handle “Schwanzus Longus” ( translates to “Biggus Dickus” after the Monty Python sketch).
I find them not really that comfortable (I don’t like the forward facing grip position), but you are not the only person that does like it. They tend to offer good protection for the brake lever to not dig into the ground, and I think it’s also fairly simple to diy one without any welding skill, both things I like.

1 Like

I think for me the single bar appeals for technical off-road as I’m very rarely riding with both hands on the bars, but on road or light single-track I like to relax more and rest both hands somewhere.

1 Like

I’ve thought for awhile now that there probably is a better brake design for unicycles. Buttons, different lever shape, maybe even a wireless brake you could hold in your off hand. I’m not sure what it would be, but bicycle levers just seem to be both common and adequate, but not really ideally suited to the job.

1 Like

I agree, why use brake levers that were designed for bikes?

1 Like

My own untested thoughts on the matter are that I think a brake that’s really close to the handle would be best. I suspect that I would have the best control on technical terrain if I had a solid grip on the handle and one finger was working a button or lever within an inch of it, something more resembling a trigger than a bicycle brake lever. Of course the problem with that would be that it would likely not be ambidextrous and the potential for simultaneously grabbing the handle and squeezing the brake would be huge.

I’ve been riding with a handle saddle for a while now and I think the ideal brake for that might be different than for a traditional saddle.

I agree that bike brake levers are not ideal for the basic mounting under the seat, although the KH spooner really improved this back in the time of old Magura HS rim brakes. I’ve also modified quite a few spooners to fit disk brake levers.

With bars I think normal levers are just fine if you install in them in a manner that’s more similar to how they would be used on a bike.

4 Likes

That’s a cool setup! What’s this part you added?

I made my lever longer and larger to be ambidextrous and useful with short grab or long grab hand position

1 Like

I agree! I think its a bar end from a bicycle.

I think i have an old set of bar ends. Definitely Going to try this!