Post Your Current Projects Here

Wow, nice job!

That look daunting! Im working on a tubeless fat tire at this moment

Thanks! It was a nice project, enough to it that I needed to find my thinking cap a few times, but I ended up with what I wanted without hitting any big walls. And Harbor Freight products again–a lathe this time to go along with my Western Safety unicycling gloves.

It was manageable.:slight_smile: Don’t be put off by the lathe carriage with the knobs and dials and stuff. I didn’t use that at all for this. It’s in the way in the photo because it had to be somewhere and it was out of the way of my hands there. I just used the chuck (the part that’s holding the hub flange) and also the tailstock (which isn’t in that picture) for holding the bits when I drilled the holes before tapping them. A drill press might have worked about as well. I wouldn’t want to try to do it with just hand tools though.

Lol, there happens to be a harbor freight lathe in our garage. And some harbor freight gloves in the basement.

Excellent! Some people know where to find the good stuff. (Although there are plenty of things there that are best avoided too.) Also the bearing puller/separator set I used to get those bearings off the hub… You guessed it.

That pretty much sums harbor freight up. If you look around and decide which things to buy you can get some nice stuff. Or you can get junk that you don’t mind abusing because you paid so little for it :p.

From my old 36er!

Hey guys,

I’ve done my last enduro MTB race for the next month or so, so I have decided to go ahead and convert my unicycles to disc brakes. Here is my brand new DH specific 26" QX Series Muni. A big thanks to Mark Wharton at unicyle.com.au and David at Qu-Ax unicycles in Germany for the sponsorship that made this possible.

It is stock apart from a few things. TI bearing bolt set, Thompson adjustable seatpost, UDC carbon fiber seat base and KH slim foam, welgo MG-1s, and my own ‘half nelson’ handle bar design. I have only taken it for a spin around the yard but I can tell i’m going to love the extra control and stopping power of the disc brake.

It went together really easily, Nice touches by QX include the bolt on disc brake (no fiddling with adapters and all that), brake line clips along the fork legs. The new cranks look nice too.

Here are some pics- I’ll hopefully get out for a ride some time this week and let you know how I like it.

Mark

Got mr.larry set up tubeless and man it’s a sweet tire

Mr. S. Larry I presume? :wink:

Nope just mr

No, S for Mr. Surly, not to change Mr. into Mrs.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh, so you sir are correct

Guys- please! Don’t go clogging up threads with inane chit chat that would be better done through facebook or a messenger service. Lots of people trawl these threads looking for specific bits of information and the more you dilute the good content with one liners that add nothing much to the discussion the more frustrated they get.

The end result is you get people who are great resources for information deciding to not engage with the forums- which is a huge loss for the community. Haven’t seen much from Corbin, Tony, Jamie M, steveyo, Ken, Munirocks etc lately…

I could post my latest build - Oracle 29er frame with external disc brake on Spirit cranks, but apart from the Smorgasbord tyre and Formula B4SL brake which I think I might be the only unicyclist using you’ve seen it all before. So instead here is one little detail of the build…

My plywood “spooner” - made from layers of 5mm ply (the middle layer is made up of 2 small bits either side of the lever). I sanded the edges to shape before sticking it together - then used superglue and clamped it while that set.

Tried it bare as in the first picture, but the plies split apart the first UPD - the original plies that is rather than where I’d glued it. Hence the gaffer tape - it’s a shame it doesn’t look so pretty, but it’s now survived some big crashes. This was planned to be temporary before I made one up with foam and kevlar, but it works so well I might not bother.

P7281321.JPG

P7281319.JPG

You’re right, sorry I usually try not to but I forget.

on a good note my larry held air all night and feels great tubeless :slight_smile:

Velocity Blunt 35 650b rim is on it’s way! Should be here in 2 weeks. Then I’m getting my frame/29er unicycle in a month. Starting school in a month so I’ll be welding a disk brake tab once again on my 29er frame for the geared 650B! I’ll post pictures once I get the parts!

Great build, Mark! Could you convince David from Qu-ax to sell the disc frame seperately from the QX disc muni? I asked a few months ago but without success :wink:
I guess these are 145mm cranks - how do you like them compared to 137s?

Small update to my 24" Sun project uni, junior muni mode: I wasn’t loving 6" cranks on the street so I found a kid’s bike tire, a Kenda K831 in 26 x 1.95" (50-507) at REI, and swapped it for the wide-white cruiser tire, then did some woodsy walking path riding. I also put the department store mtb style pedals back on because cool as those rubber block ones look, they’re treacherous if my shoes are even a little wet.

The K831 seemed fine for the little I did last night, or can do so far for that matter. Grip was never an issue and the rubber checks in at 60A durometer. (Yes I have a Shore durometer. Why? Ebay.) But a little wider might be better. I was put off by the 2.5" width given for a Maxxis High Roller. Now I see that the the ETRTO on it is 55-507, and 55 mm is only 2.17" so maybe it would work.

Anyone know what’s up with that? The cruiser tire I took off doesn’t have a metric width on the sidewall, but Kenda K130s in other diameters are listed as 54mm and cruiser tires can go upwards of 60-507 without being called fatties. None are marked as anything close to 2.5". I didn’t find a High Roller locally though and they’re kinda spendy for a bottom-feeding project like this, and less aggressive might better suit the kind of riding I’ll most likely be doing.

Anyway… Bought, installed, and ridden in the same day; good fun, no damage done…