Post Your 36er Here

On bicycle brakes (at least the ones I have) the pads are held against the pistons by a spring.

I can make the pads touch the rotor when the uni is upright by moving the frame sideways relative to the wheel. So I think it is just frame flex. It’s not proving to be noticeable while riding so I’ll probably just leave it as is.

These are your off the shelf options:

Awesome! Does it make mounting the uni more difficult? I can see how riding with them it would be nice but mounting looks like it will be more of a challenge.

I ignore the handlebars and just hold the front of the saddle when mounting. As soon as I’m up I switch to the bars.

Other people hold the handlebars from the start.

So to answer your question, no :).

Depending on how you have the bars configured, it may take a bit of getting used to. It seems odd to have this piece of hardware up against your chest. I usually have one hand on the bar, and the other on the saddle handle. Pretty straightforward. :slight_smile:

my 36er

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156088166051165&set=a.10152603210461165.1073741827.582671164&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156088166056165&set=a.10152603210461165.1073741827.582671164&type=3
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156033617621165&set=a.10152603210461165.1073741827.582671164&type=3

Hi Tini0531,

Your links point to the FB post with some preview of your gallery. Unfortunately, your 36er is not part of the preview and access to the gallery requiers a FB account…

im sorry for that. anywy here’s my 36er

Nice setup :slight_smile: I like how you are using almost all space from your handlebar :stuck_out_tongue:

yup, actually the handle bar is really a big help so i can bring everything with me all i need for my longride routine.

Just got my Qu Ax 36 I was a bit nervous and wobbly first ride but after 100 meters wow I love it , I have only done about 10-15 kms but am finding the 11 saddle very comfortable the king George tire silent and smooth, I could not decide between a 32 or 36 but glad I got the 36 on the 150 holes I am very surprised at the hills I can climb with little practice, free mounting will take longer.

Nice wheel! Welcome to the 36er club :sunglasses: .

Nice looking machine. I like white frames. You may find it gets more comfortable when you get more confident. I’m on my third 36 and have decided to stay on 150s for the versatility they offer. Have fun on it.

Agreed, those QX frames are sweeet looking!

You’ll be climbing big hills on the 36er in no time, they climb amazingly well even with short cranks :smiley:

+4, Thumper uni, I think it looks really sharp, as well.

Finally I decided to join 36er club :slight_smile:

Still, we have to wait for my final setup as I am just thinking what parts shall I put together. Please be kind and support me with some good advices.

At the moment I have only KH Frame and KH One saddle, the rest I have to purchase.
My goal is G36er for fast road riding, racing, including some great uphills. I wish to have it lightest possible, with sporty handlebar and responsive - stiff.
I am thinking to put following parts together:
KH One saddle
Pivotal Seatpost
Nimbus Shadow Base
T-Bar (Nimbus or KH, - any difference??)
KH frame
Stealth 2 rim without braking surface
Nightrider Lite tire
Foss Tube
Spokes, silver, (Do I have any choice?)
Geared hub, old version.
KH Spirit Cranks 137/117 mm
203 mm disc rotor
Hope Tech3 E4 brake

I have seen setup with Nimbus shadow base and KH One saddle, I think that this approach provide the most stiffness.
I feel very comfortable on G29 117mm, thus I think that 137mm should be OK, not sure how would they work on uphills and if I find the use of 117mm hole.
I think that going for 203mm disc is necessary for such a big wheel with geared hub. However I am very concerned on hub life.

I have horrible blue (sorry Kris) frame. How can I change the colour? I heard that sandblasting is not an option.

Well come to the club!

I would rather start with 150s but with this new lite tire (that I also have but not tested yet) who knows how lighter it feels?
so maybe 137 will do the job.

I mean it’s doable since UPD rides his g36 with 127 and 110 in high gear, but I suppose as a strong rider you want to be very fast.
The two fastest g36 competitors I have in mind, Martin Charrier and Scott Wilton, use: 150s for MC and 137 for SW.

Not sure shorter than 137 will be optimal for very fast riding.

If you want your wheel even lighter, instead of a FOSS tube you can use a michelin butyl 29er tube that weights 170 gm.
(FOSS =220 gm right?)

If you use a very old schlumpf hub (first gen?) I would rather put rim brakes (HS33 with grey pads instead of black for a smoother brake power) cause if I am not wrong you are the guy who broke a hub because of disc braking, aren’t you?.
Imagine what a 200mm disc can do to your hub associated with such a heavy wheel if you brake hard.
And rim brakes keep the same braking power in high gear as in first gear, which disc brake don’t

Can I take 29er tubes from rubber, or it must be butyl? What width of this tube will be OK?

I forget on HS33, (still have it somewhere with broken lever). With this big rim the braking power might be satisfactory. I was not using magura for a long time so my braking finger is not so strong now :smiley:
However I am not certain to the braking power. Has somebody compared magura vs disc brake on G36er already? If I have to test it on myself then I need rim with braking surface.

I have used a schwalbe 27.5 / 29 x 1.50-2.35 schrader AV19 which weights 220gm , and now have this one 166 gm under my KG tire.

and yes you need a Stealth2 with the machined braking surface for maggura brakes.

My 36" king George tire has a yellow circle with red writing mIT with a smiley mouth below does anyone know what this is .