Post Your 36er Here

Yes they are. The idea is so that shorter people can ride it without cutting down the frame.

From the website:
ā€œThe legs of the frame telescope instead of using a traditional seat post.ā€

Possible negative: no brake option. You could probably use the ā€œd-brakeā€ bearing cap mount for a disc brake, but thereā€™s no mention in the description. To me, a brake is real useful on a 36r.

I guess it makes the large wheel more accessible to the shorter rider, but Iā€™m not sure how much of an issue thatā€™s been in the past. Personally, I would rather see some development effort put into a 32" wheel uni. But thatā€™s just me.

And taller people can accommodate larger and larger wheels. Gotta keep the short people wanting. :wink:

Yeah, short people. Here is Rogerā€™s prototype in action, in Horwich.
No doubt, a ā€œwantedā€ uni!

Frame strength is the biggest concern I have on this uni as well Not only are the legs a worry, welding a shadow mount on the crown seems like a bad idea. But these things are pretty much untested so who knowsā€¦

Yeah, the D-brake and Spiritā€™s would work fine.

Also worth noting that it comes with an ISIS hub, so the uni has to be geared towards fairly heavy riding.

Iā€™d bet that the shadow base on this particular frame is slotted for seat adjustment.

They also mention raising the frame up and storing gear in a ā€˜uniqueā€™ place. Thatā€™s an intriguing idea and Iā€™d like to see it.

36"

This is my KH36" with KH T-bar. :sunglasses:

Donā€™t worry about frame strength. I have been making one-off versions of these for years (over 10!) and they are more rigid and stronger than a standard frame. The version with the handle interface built in is the most rigid againā€¦ way more rigid than any other 36" frame! yes heavier, but not by much with the aluminium lower legs.

Roger

Roger, are you supposed to be able to strap gear on the frame when itā€™s raised up? Iā€™m just trying to invision this from the UDC webpage.

I actually think itā€™s a really neat design, and wouldnā€™t mind getting one. Itā€™s already got the best handle setup on it, itā€™s isis, has an S2, and it sounds like the frame is plenty strong. Whatā€™s not to like?

Yes, they can fit a disc if you want. Geometry is the same.

This market is massive - stop being tallist! :-p Anyone under 5ā€™4" struggles with 36" unicycles with standard or longer cranks. Even I do at 5ā€™ 6 1/2" tall when I am riding them off road. Look at all the children who can now have a 36" unicycle!

If you want this for a 32", then this design will go down to 23" inside leg! The big problem is getting the tyres. That is the real problem and one we have not solved yet (but are working on).

Roger

Hmmm, not thought about it. We had the option to put a rear frame on the this and decided from feedback not to put it on and came up with the new mounting method. I am guessing that you could but may take a little effort.

Roger

Hereā€™s what the UDC US website discription says:

The normal shadow base works fine with a flat saddle, so Iā€™d ā€˜assumeā€™ thisā€™d work as well. Would definitely like to see some more pics!

Roger, will the frame be available separate from the uni? What would the ballpark cost be?

At the moment I can not find any pictures of the prototypes being used by talliesā€¦ I know we have them, just canā€™t find where I have put them. I will see what I can find on Monday.

The frame will fit all the saddles we tested it on.

I donā€™t think that the US have any spare frames. They will be available, but not until April.

Roger

I love it, This also solves the problem for people who would like to build their own big-wheel to the largest dimensions possibleā€¦

I am going back home in Aprilā€¦ I have too many projects already, but I am thinking this frame could let me use a 48 or 50 inch wheel with 150mm cranks. :slight_smile:

I knew if anyone was going to do it then it would be you Eric!!! Will you race it in Dusseldorf?

Do It!!! If you modified some rims and made a frankentire you could have the coolest uni ever.

Another long term project, definitely wonā€™t be ready for Dusseldorf. unless I get a really good paying job in the mean time with lots of time off and a workshop where I can modify rims, etc, etc.

I looked back lots of pages and discovered NO ONE posted unicycles with green rims.

Are these 2 rims interchangeable? Are they equal?

Comes standard on the Nimbus ($900.00) 36 Oracle: Rim: Nimbus Dominator 2, 36" (bright green) 36H, 42mm wide, aluminum doublewall, reinforced eyelets, ERD - 767mm

Comes standard on the KH 36 ($860.00) Road: Rim: Nimbus Dominator 2, 36" (black) 36H, 42mm wide, reinforced eyelets, machined sidewall, aluminum.

I have to admit, Iā€™m attracted to the bright green rim. Iā€™m wondering if its popular, and if not, why not?