Post Your 36er Here

Really nice “traveller” look :slight_smile:

Nice unicycle stand.

What a nice ride! I really like the rear bag in the rear. Is it difficult to mount or dismount with that on the back? What do you usually carry in that bag? One last question, where did get it? Again, nice setup!!!

Hello ShannonG,
It is a light Topeak Beam Rack which was shorten next to the clamp an re-welded with an other angle, the bag of course is removable.
The mount and dismount with the bag is not more difficult as without cause it is not wider as the saddle.
As till now, I carried light thinks like rain coat, gloves a tool a small pump an it rides well, I even have the impression that it is stabilizing :slight_smile:
The rack, as it is written on, can carry up to 7kg. Well, let’s see next time how does it ride with 1 or 2kg …

Qu-ax 36

Just recently got this 36er. I really only have experience on a 20 incher so this is almost like starting over to me. After about 30 minutes of seat time I can get around OK. I can’t yet freemount , but I can on a downhill. I can see that I will want a handle soon since I have seen a lot of stability increase at speed and leverage for climbing just from holding the front of the seat. I do need a lot of practice to get good but I can tell this one is going to get all the use. My goal is to keep up with the bicycles on a slow 5-10 mile boardwalk ride. Maybe longer cranks would have been a little easier at first.

Here are pics of the new ride.
I never could find a good series of pics before I bought this so to anyone looking at one here you go. I got it from Goudurix. $450.00 + 12.00 shipping + 3.70 unknown. It is box stock with no changes. 145 mm cranks.
The description says it comes with 2 seat posts for a shorter rider but I only got one. I am tall and had to cut a few inches from the one to fit me so I will need to get another one if anyone shorter wants to ride it.

Question please - Look at the rim style. It looks to me like it has no braking surface to it. The upper outer flange is only 1/4 “. The lower section goes into a V type. The description for it is " large braking surface”. Do Magura brakes adjust at such an angle to pull up on the wheel on the V surface? Any one else with this wheel and brakes? What’s up?
Thanks.

More pics.

@Wobbly,

That side wall angle looks steep, I don’t know that a Magura will adjust that much, so you might want to contact the shop and let them this is a problem; selling a complete uni with a brake mount suggests the uni is brake compatible.

What rim is that?

Looking at my pads, you might get lucky and be able to run them on the 1/4" flange. They’d be bigger than the flange in the middle of the pad, but if it’s not hitting your tire you might be okay.

I’d give Qu-Ax a jingle or e-mail them, and ask. They should know what to do.

Just took a good look at the rim. No ID of any kind on it. Looked in the booklet that came with it and it shows a small picture of what appears to be canti/bosses on the frame with a centerpull cable mount welded to the frame and canti brakes mounted using the same rim. Doesn’t look right. Mine must be newer version w/ Magura mounts. Also the 1/4" flange on the rim is not even flat. It’s concave. I will contact QU-AX for info. I figured someone here would already know the situation. :thinking:

QU-AX 36 Rim Brakes

Emailed QU-AX and they said,

“It is compatible with rim-brakes (except you have the disc-brake-models).
Any Magura rim-brake should fit after adjusting the brake-pads carefully!”

If anyone ever puts brakes on one of these I would like to hear about it. No room for adjustment error and the pads will need to burn in to contact the rim. I guess it can be done.

I would contact Jeff at Moutainuni.com for their disc brake system. You won’t regret it! I love my disc brakes. Super smooth!

Road-Runner

I just fitted a Wheel TA tyre to the Stealth2 rim and hope it will run well for long distance road riding. I don’t see the slight increase in weight over the Knightrider as being an issue for me - and I do like the tread pattern on the TA. We shall see how it rolls on longer rides. Brake caliper and lever removed in this image.

Anyone got any references, experiences with the TA

Other than the weight, I think the TA is the best tire out there for the 36, if you only ride on the streets. They last for a very long time. I noticed that you have a fender…due to the tread pattern, this tire slips easily in the rain, especially on slick sidewalks. So be careful out there!

My g36

My g36

Here is my newly acquired Impulse. I put an orange KH Street Saddle on it and fashioned a homemade orange rim strip to match (back to back orange duct tape with a real rim strip for backing). Still using the heavy tube since it is a drilled rim. I have a Foss tube for when I work out a more substantial rim strip. I also have a “Todd” tire on the way.

Okay. Last trip with touring handles was failed due to some unknown reasons (I think that was bad day) and I decided to remove T-bar.
One day ago I installed it back and tried today - awesome! Something was wrong with me (or just lack of experiance). Now I gonna love that :roll_eyes:

It looks like Hudson is running the same rim? And has Maggies for brakes…

My New-to-me 36er

Just picked it up today. Thanks to Cary Gray, I’ll be enjoying my Nimbus Nightrider for a long time!!

Checked my rim and it is not the same. I have no that V type profile. My one is more like n-type :smiley:

Hey allwobbly:

I had a rim like that from Qu-Ax 36er, I think it was from 2007, possibly earlier.

It is lighter and skinnier than other 36" rims found today with a deeper cross section. A great road rim by any means but no it doesn’t have a proper braking surface.

You could let your pads wear into the shape of the rim but this would take some time and cause wear on a sidewall that was never designed for brakes.

With that rim I would be looking at disk brake alternatives if you haven’t already got the maguras.