Post Your 36er Here

Good day to all!

Here is my brand new QuAx 36"…on our usual morning ride :roll_eyes:

Sorry if it is in wrong topic (I did not find this part on forum or other places) but I am going to install magura hs33 rim brakes on my big wheel. I ordered it in CRC online shop… so it came with ~2m hose >_<
In set there is olive and compression nut. I did not find any hose insert there (during shortening some Shimano brakes I used to cut hose, put in hose insert, put on olive and tight). Does someone have picture manual of shortening of magura rim brakes hose? I interested only in the cutted end accessories - do I need insert or not. It will be really bed to cut hose and leave it disassembled till order with insert arrives :o

Thanks in advance,
Hudson

You do need an insert. I’ve heard of people reusing the old one, but you’d have to be very careful getting it out of the hose. Magura has a good instructional video of shortening the hose on YouTube.

Edit: my experience is with MT disc brake, but I’m pretty sure it would be the same for the rim brake. Forum user Brycer in Portland can get you the part, try sending him a private message.

You do need an insert. I’ve heard of people reusing the old one, but you’d have to be very careful getting it out of the hose. Magura has a good instructional video of shortening the hose on YouTube.

you need a new olive but the insert is reusable cut it out or cut the hose off just in front of it and burn the hose off with a lighter

it is easy to do and you will not lose any fluid due to the capillary action of the tube so n re-bleeding required (just keep the lever with the hose port facing up)

My 36 KH schlumpf after annual upgrade, adding disk brake and spirit cranks, had to revert to a T7 handle after I broke my existing handle

36er.JPG

Yes, they are mock ups I made out of wood, then spray painted flat black. I made them specifically for use in my new 36er Free Mount Tutorial. I developed a new training exercise that “trains your brain” to keep weight off the first pedal while free mounting. I play both the on-screen “newbie” and the off-screen “narrator” who is giving me instruction.

While it’s not really necessary to do the “egg” part, which will be the hardest thing to master, once you get that down, free mounting will be a breeze! But as they say, you can’t make an omelet (or learn to free mount) without breaking a few eggs, haha! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you very much - I was thinking same way. But I did not find any inserts for rim brakes on eBay or something, all of them are for disk brakes only…

Thanks a lot!!! That giving some hope to me :roll_eyes:
I will try to do it right after come home after work… in October >_<

Sorry for off topic.

the last pic is sweet!

Maasai warriors meet 36

My 110’s just started feeling way too long, so I got these rad 40mm! So much easier to climb now! And the newly adjusted saddle and t-bar angle is so much more comfy too! :smiley:

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0279.JPG

That thing is a beast :astonished: I bet downhill is awesome :stuck_out_tongue:

What a joke, I had a good laugh, thanks Terry.

From today…

…oh, and by the way, they’re “real”, and they’re spectacular! :smiley:

trail.jpg

t1.jpg

The cranks are so short that he starts off with a wheel walk until he has enough momentum to spin the cranks :smiley:

Hey Terry, maybe it’s time to paint that 36er a “he-man color” :roll_eyes:

Meanwhile, I’m checking out a route for tomorrow’s 36er muni ride:

http://home.comcast.net/~tdunigan1/bsfmf.jpg

I’m thinking of just doing the JMT with a return on the gravel road, ~18miles, but if I throw in the Grand Loop it’s more like 24 miles.

Here’s some biker video of the trail:

There’s no water out there, so I’ll carry 3-4 liters in my new overnight bike pack, an Osprey Manta 25: http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/hydration_packs__osprey_hydraulics_1/manta_25

Terry, how fast can you go with those cranks?

I thought for sure everyone would know they were fake, especially after having posted the fake super long cranks earlier. lol. :smiley: But I did hear that Brian MacKenzie did actually ride his 36er with 40mm cranks! And if I knew where to get an actual pair, I’d try them too, at least for the heck of it! :slight_smile:

IMG_0282.JPG

You really fooled my with the plywood cranks, I thought you photoshopped the ultra long and the 40 mm cranks.

These were so fragile as you can see the crank holes are so close the the edge and I still had to file them to make them fit the splined axles! :smiley:

Yesterday I picked up my first Schlumpf geared uni from Bronson Silva. I’m thrilled to be the newest member of the club.

I immediately broke it in with two back-to-back rides. First, on Saturday, “Tom’s Rob-ish Ride” in Oakland/Alameda hosted by Tom Holub - about 20-22 miles on road and technical trails. Second, on Sunday, “Rob’s Ride” in Santa Cruz hosted by Rob Bowman - 18 miles on road and trails.

So, far, this machine is a blast. I love every bit of it. It feels lighter than the old Coker while riding. I’m sure it’s not actually lighter, but it feels smoother while riding. The T-bar handle makes it way more comfortable and gives me more pedaling leverage. The disk brake is a dream. So far, no high-gear riding. I’ll be working on that over the next few weeks.

I did manage to break the brake lever when I biffed on the trail. However, it looks to be easily fixable - a snap ring popped out of place.

I’m thrilled to introduce…

The Space Cruiser:
KH 36" Frame - custom powdercoat, jet black
KH T-Bar Touring Handle
KH Freeride Saddle
KH Spirit Cranks
KH Starfighter Brake Lever Extender
Shimano Disk Brake
Nimbus Nightrider Tire
Foss Tube
Schlumpf KH Muni hub
…and the secret ingredient: Love

photo 2.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

That thing looks amazing, nbrazzi! I love all the black, esecially the frame! I am hoping that I hear from Bronson soon about my completed schlumpf wheelbuild… I really want my hub:o! Have fun with it!