Post Your 36er Here

So heavy that every pixel was toasted and destroyed.

4umfreak,
The handlebars are very solid, no flex at all, plus theyā€™ve got good extension. I havenā€™t ridden on any uni with seat post-mounted handlebars for more than a hundred yards so I really canā€™t compare the two.

Tearing apart a Nimbus frame and reconfiguring it is both a big risk (financially at least) and a big investment in time and energy. So there is a considerable barrier to entry into the V Frame world. Itā€™s much lower risk and easier to weld some handlebars or just use an off-the-shelf set.

Another benefit of seat post-mounted handlebars is that you donā€™t have to start with a torn apart Nimbus frame. You can use a Nimbus, Coker, KH etc. and then you can transfer it from one to another.

Apart from getting solid handlebars with a lot of extension another benefit of the V Frame over a KH or Coker frame is that itā€™s lockable.

Geoff

Iā€™m not sure about that - Iā€™m thinking more along the lines of cardboard, tinfoil and sellotape.

Rob

(Thinking about it, I bet two of those words make no sense outside the UKā€¦ just in case, tinfoil = baking foil = alumin(i)um foil, sellotape = sticky tape)

wel at least the photo shows that his 36 inch was not stolen on 1 april:p
when looking at it for the second time i also think its not a photoshop, but the lighting is rubbish

Itā€™s not the lighting, it is photoshop, and itā€™s posterized out the wazoo.

I didnā€™t misunderstand the amount of risk and work involved with rearranging a Nimbus frame but I am surprised someone like Nimbus hasnā€™t taken note and redesigned their nightrider!

Is there a reason beyond market-share why thereā€™s never been a production v-frame 36er?

I think market-share is it. The big advantage from V-frames is (from what I understand, I donā€™t do crazy muni or anything) exclusive to road riders. There just arenā€™t enough of us.

For example: There are a number of relatively simple ways to put together a high-ratio single-speed geared unicycle (Iā€™m working on one). But there are none in production. If there was a market to support them, theyā€™d exist, or at least thatā€™s the only explanation I can think of. I know there was an attempt to get something based off the ā€œpurple phaseā€ from way back into production, but that never happened, and Iā€™m guessing at the reasonā€¦

Yes, I agree, market share is a very potent force limiting production model V frames. Risk and hassle are the forces limiting home made V frames.

Here are some pictures Iā€™ve got of Pete Perronā€™s two other V frames.
Purple Phase and the Red Menace. Both of these are gunis that were made before Schlumpfs were available. Both have Peteā€™s jack shaft gearing mechanism that allowed him to change chain rings in order to change gears. If I remember correctly, it would take him about 5 to 10 minutes to change gears but he could gear up to almost 2:1. Unlike a Schlumpf he could also gear down. There are some close up pictures of the Red Menaceā€™s gears and disc brake in some other thread. Iā€™m not sure which.

Geoff

36geared.v2.sidesm.jpg

So vintage and so cool! Only thing I would add would be elbow rests for the aerobars. These should be donated to the Smithsonian someday! :slight_smile:

Haha, Terry how is it that you could make me feel old? Itā€™s not that vintageā€¦ Hey, the menace even had a disc brake!

Close-up shots of the menace can be found in this great thread:

not finding the ones with photos of the purple phase at this moment, but they exist!

Haha, I know itā€™s not that old, but uni-technology is improving so fast. I think your unis are timeless though, and beautifully designed! Wish I had one like it. :smiley:

yeah. just to clarify: I didnā€™t build them (wish I had!), I just felt old because I remember when the forums were buzzing about them.

Really wish theyā€™d gone into production. Iā€™d be riding so fast right nowā€¦

Hey, just realized Iā€™ve never posted my 36er here. So to get back on topic a little bit:
My current ride will be off the test-bench and gathering loads of data as soon as my new hub comes in and after I figure out how to build it into my wheel!

Personally I really like the black-tape optical encoder pattern for looks.
Here it is:

V-Frame: more than a year ago i posted this: (v-frame, aerobars, bike (roadrace) saddle, schlumpf hubā€¦):

Hereā€™s the Purple Phaze thread.

I remember seeing this one last year. It too looks really nice.

Are you still riding it? Howā€™s it holding up? What changes would you consider if you had to do it again?

Maybe you know if Pete still on here or has he moved onto other types of projects? I always liked his jackshaft designs and was bummed when U-turn in Texas I think dropped the idea of producing them.
Bryce

Bryce,
I havenā€™t seen Pete Perron (aka unisk8r) him on the forums since about the summer of 2008. I think he cleaned out his shop (I was the lucky recipient of this purge) and moved on to other endeavors.

Geoff

someone should totally do a trials high jump on a 36er

The guy in the Coker promo video comes close. The video is on their website @: http://www.cokercycles.com/

Thatā€™s Brian Oleyā€¦ heā€™s pretty quick with that coker!