Post Your 36er Here

Here’s my baby. Just added the KH 127/150 Spirit cranks and a disc brake.

My backup 36er. Got the Stealth 2 rim free from a guy who saw me with a uni at my LBS, and said he had a 36er rim if I wanted it, so I said absolutely! It’s basically new and also came with a new nightrider tire and tube. Now I can switch wheelsets every few weeks to make them last longer. :smiley:

It doesn’t look like your brake is quite aligned. Do the whole of your brake pads make contact with the rotor? Might just be the picture.

You are right! I think it’s a 160mm rotor. The adaptor is for a 180mm rotor.

Go you your local bikeshop and ask for a 160mm Front adapter (ISO to POST). You’ll get much more braking power when the pads will be aligned properly, the brake should also feel much better (it probably feels a bit spongy as it is right now).

I don’t know how in the world you could see that, but you are right. In the photo, the bracket attached to the caliper needed to be turned around. Good eye!

Ditched the dBrake…

Very clean! Your welds?

Thanks, and yes. I’ve been meaning to do this for ages but just hadn’t got around to it.

I’ve noticed a problem I never had with the dBrake. When I hold the uni upright and spin the wheel the pads clear the rotor. When I tilt it over ~45 degrees by the frame the pads rub lightly on one side. When I tilt it over the other way they rub the other side.

I think it’s frame flex I’m seeing. With the dBrake, the caliper always stayed exactly aligned to the rotor because it was attached at the bearing. Now the frame movement is moving the caliper just enough for it to touch.

I’ll probably not encounter it during normal riding, since if I’m leaning over to the side it’s in order to keep my gravity vector (center of gravity?) down along the frame to my tyre contact patch. The frame should only flex significantly with abrupt corrective movements.

Anyway, if it rubs while riding I haven’t been able to notice it so far over the noise of the wind and traffic. I’ve only taken it for a few short test rides so far though.

I must admit I’ve never looked closely at a bicycle disc brake, but I have replaced pads on motorbike disc brakes and cars, and I think the principle is the same - judging by bike brake pads I’ve seen on display in shops.

A piston pushes the pad. The pad is not directly attached to the piston. In some cases, the pad slides in a shaped groove, and in other cases it slides along two metal rods. Either way, the pad is free floating and is pushed towards the disc by contact with the piston, and is not actively pulled back from the disc afterwards.

Assuming that the bike (uni) disc brake is essentially the same, all that is happening is that when you tilt the uni to one side, the “top” pad is falling down the slope and catching the disc. Nothing to worry about. I’d be more worried if it didn’t as that would suggest it was sticking.

Took my new to me coker on my longest ride on a uni. 13 miles! Having some hot spot issues in the nether regions what can I do to work with that? I’m an avid road bicyclist so is it just getting used to it and toughening up a new spot on my body or are there secrets?

Best answer to getting discomfort after 13 miles is to ride 14 miles a day.

Hey Mack,
I bet handlebars would help that.
I also think a flatter seat helps.

But ya, put in a few more 10 mile rides before your next 13.

Do I have enough seat post do have a handlebar?

Don’t know about that.

With a seat post mount you would have to measure the height of the clamp and see if you have enough post to accommodate it. Shorter cranks will get you more seat post too. (if you’re thinking of going shorter)

Both of my handlebars have been mounted to the underside of the seat. (like MuniAddict’s above)

Where can I get one of those brackets to make a handlebar like that?

On bicycle brakes (at least the ones I have) the pads are held against the pistons by a spring.

I can make the pads touch the rotor when the uni is upright by moving the frame sideways relative to the wheel. So I think it is just frame flex. It’s not proving to be noticeable while riding so I’ll probably just leave it as is.

These are your off the shelf options:

Awesome! Does it make mounting the uni more difficult? I can see how riding with them it would be nice but mounting looks like it will be more of a challenge.

I ignore the handlebars and just hold the front of the saddle when mounting. As soon as I’m up I switch to the bars.

Other people hold the handlebars from the start.

So to answer your question, no :).