Post Your 36er Here

Current state of Ms Silver after a year on the road. The alloy parts are standing up fine without too much polishing, The whitewall has greyed somewhat, by exposure to light or influence of black rubber? But it still looks acceptable I think. Mr Black has a different personality, I ride one or the other depending on what mood I am in :wink:

First 36er ride of 2015! The new tire did well.

sigh Look at that berm…

That’s quite the trail. The corner I’m standing on to take the picture was a little scarier today on the 36er than last week on the 29+

I like the tyre. Could you please post some info about the tyre and where you purchased it.:slight_smile:

I bought it from Waltworks.com. Just about all the info you could want is here:
900-1000g 36" tire, anyone interested?

Thanks fugsworth:)

New rack for Beast arrived today! A couple of adjustments needed and I can finally head out on multi day rides :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see her fully-loaded! :smiley:

Here’s my bodge job, just until I can afford a decent top bag :slight_smile:

Nice bodged slogan on the bag too! :smiley: How’s it attached? Or is it just posing for the camera :sunglasses:

It was strapped on…sorta :roll_eyes:

I’ve changed it for an old baby changing bag now lol!
Just been for a short ride with it loaded, it seems cool :slight_smile:

It was strapped on…sorta :roll_eyes:

I’ve changed it for an old baby changing bag now lol!
Just been for a short ride with it loaded, it seems cool :slight_smile:

Only problem is your rear light will now be invisible :astonished:

Here is some detail about the brake fitted to my 36. Pic: I decided to fit the brake ‘upside down’ on the handle that enabled a very smooth curve of the hydraulic line from the lever to the caliper. Pics: A plus point is the upside down carbon brake lever is kept well away from damage as the handles protected it from contacting the road when I upd :o.
Pic: I operate the brake with my thumb that took some practice, but being hydraulic it doesnt need a lot of strength to be effective. Recently I have set the adjuster on the brake so that it bites the rim enough to slow on an incline but the lever stops against one of the handles before it locks the rim -fine adjustments is possible on this model.

My setup is only for road riding so its mainly hills and downhill gradients when I need it.

brake1.jpg

brake2.jpg

I can’t even imagine how you ride with the handlebar that low and far-forward!

Cool brake system though. I’ve been considering a brake for the 36er, as I’m running 125mm cranks, and some of the downhills I ride down absolutely slaughter me (though I can always manage). Not sure if I want to spend up on hydraulics for something I’ll probably use once a ride though… hmmmm :roll_eyes:

This sounds great in theory, until you find a grade that exceeds your setup’s capabilities.

I used to run a friction shift brake lever and it was great. But at the time I only had the friction setting tight enough to hold the brake for one particular hill. Once I found something steeper, the shifter wouldn’t hold the brake tight enough to slow my wheel.

Slightly different, but same general idea. If you find a hill that is too steep and you need to grab more brake, you’re SOL.

Actually the brake lever travel can be adjusted ‘on the fly’ There is a small knurled knob that can be turned as I ride that adjusts the bite relative to the travel of the lever. It can be seen in the photographs at the base of the lever. Normally though I just have a general setting and pull up against the handle. More skillful riders could do a lot with it I’m sure

I think plently of people ride ‘low and long’. Ed Pratt’s setup is especially so! I don’t even like to think of the payload he has to cope with!

https://www.facebook.com/MrEdPratt/photos/pb.1532705906958923.-2207520000.1427714835./1622782757951237/?type=1&theater

Haha! you now what they say about only using the brake “once a ride”? Go without and it could be the ride that kills you! :astonished:

:slight_smile: