Post covid difficulties

Hope your on the mend.

Yeah, it’s goes better. But I’ve a problem with breathing generally and with my heart. Also with my eye disability :eyes: , I see 20 Prozent over all.with help, and with my back. Yeah I’ve been an unicycling scrap heap. :rofl:. But it’s okay for me.

I had it over a year ago. The worst symptom was a headache. After that went away, I went back to the gym immediately and started doing cardio. I typically do more strength training but my doctor ordered cardio. I think he was right. It was a good method for progressive recovery. Make sure you have a doctor you trust, get their advice and then trust that advice!

Covid caught me just before Unicon, two days of feeling pretty miserable and sick, so I missed the first week (and all Muni competitions). Fortunately, I did recover quickly and could go for a ride every day the second week of unicon.
I tried to keep my efforts relatively easy, which I mostly managed to do, with the exception of trying to keep up with Ben on the uphill of the social ride, where I went into full suffering mode, just to find the rest of the group we had split up from decided to hitch a ride up the hill in the truck…
I was confident enough in my fitness to compete in the hillclimb. I still went for more controlled pacing than I otherwise may have, but my lungs did not seem to be affected anymore, or at least my legs were the bigger weakness.

I have however lost a good amount of my top end power in a combination of:

• Commuting to university by bike so much this summer, that I didn’t really have capacity to train harder efforts anymore
  • A week quarantined at home in bed or in the garden in my hammock, (with the rare walk or slow bike ride)
  • Only really getting back into any harder efforts and “real” training now, a friend of mine has been suffering from chronic fatigue after covid for years now and I don’t want that to happen to me, so I’m relatively careful.

I obviously can’t be sure how much of my lost fitness is from just the lack of training and what might be a longer effect of the sickness, but I’m relatively sure that, fortunately, most of it is just the lost training which is in my control.

4 Likes

6 month covid report. I’m going to call this the lost summer of cycling for me. I have struggled with getting my cartio pulmonary stamina back. I have worked hard walking daily, unicycling and bicycling several times weekly. I have lost 15 pounds but I still struggle with shortness of breath. While I planned a 150 mile bike trip this fall I ended up settling on a 23 mile day trip and I am Greatful for that. I have definitely improved but more is needed. As the weather changes here in Western Pa. I plan on walking outside until it is to cold then switching to elliptical and total gym indoors in the am them indoor uni at the wheel mill in the evening. I am planning several long bike trips next year as well as getting on the 36 coker I refurbished last winter. Bottom line covid sucks and has set me back years in my fitness.

4 Likes