POSSIBLE CANCELLATION OF MARATHON IN UNICON 12

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

A typhoon has hit the Tokyo area and will be passing through on July 29. If there are strong rains
and wind there is some possibility that the marathon may need to be canceled.

We will make a final decision by 9am on July 29 and post that decision by the entrance of Building
C. You can also get information from Unicon Headquarters, room #415 in the Central Tower.

Jack Halpern
Convention Chairman

JACK HALPERN
Unicon XII Convention Chairman
Executive Director for International Development
International Unicycling Federation, Inc.

Other sports are affected by typhoons sometimes as well. Watch this movie! Amazing.

Holy cow! What is amazing is the number of people that just decide to stand there and watch the thing. I’m not a fast runner, but I would have been in the next town by that part of the clip.

On a partly-related side note, I had a similar experience with a small twister while riding my motorcycle across the US many years ago. As I was cruising across Wyoming at 60 mph when I saw a “dust devil” (small funnel twister) form about 1/4 of a mile (15 seconds) in front of me on the highway. It wasn’t as big as that thing in the film, but it was decent size…probably at least 30 to 40 feet tall, 5 or 6 feet across. I started slowing down and heading for the right shoulder when it hit me. The next thing I knew I was still moving forward, but almost off the left shoulder of the road. This was Interstate 80, so it basically transported me across two very wide lanes in less time than I could think or react.

A pants-soiling experience…

Yes, I don’t think I would have been looking at this twister for long to!

Last year I was riding a car in Belgium, riding to a unicycle event. A girl from Zagreb and a half-Turkish boy were with me, and noticed 4 more vertical than diagonal thin parralel windy “stripes” were moving parralel to this road with us, in exact the same speed. I’ve decided to film it, but it turn out my camera was in picture mode. The pictures showed this weird wind stripes, but a freezed shot of it looked just like the stripes you sometimes see at planes. The constant (and equal to our) speed, and this constant distance made it a spooky happening.