pointers on buildering a wheel?

Hey, I have a new croMoly hardened hub on the way (hopefully it’ll arrive tomorrow), I’ve never built a wheel before and would appreciate any advice u guys have? I have kinda trued a wheel before with a spoke key but that was several years ago on my mountain b*ke.

What tools do I need? I’ve heard of usin “truuing stands” but figure I can probably use the frame instead?

Cheers
Pete

PS Has anyone else noticed how slow time goes when there’s a KH24 in the mail to you?

Re: pointers on buildering a wheel?

you sure can, check out my wheel truing station :sunglasses:

haha, nice truing stand!

For info on building a wheel, go to www.sheldonbrown.com and look in the repair tips section, then wheelbuilding. He’s got a great section with step by step directions.

Yes, you can use the frame. Works best if you find some way to clamp or hold the frame so you can concentrate on the wheel itself. Then just hold something against the frame and right next to the wheel for a trueness indicator.

Good luck!

Jerry

Man that has gotta be the stoopidest typo I’ve ever made!

Cheers for that link Jerry, it’s exactly what I was after…

Here’s the link if anyone else wants to have a look:

I built my first wheel a couple weeks ago. The Sheldon Brown site is the authority, and everything he says is gospel. I also found this page helpful: G-Sport Wheel Build Guide

I used the uni frame as the truing stand. I didn’t have a good place to mount it, so I just left the seat on and held it between my feet.

Be patient, and remember, only once you have done it will you be a Jedi.

Great toasted hub pic!

This is a very usefull link:
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/SpokeCalc.asp

so you can get the right length spokes.

There are also some more links at the bottom of the spoke calculator page for more tips on building wheels.

I started writing my own blow by blow account of rebuilding a unicycle wheel, but I didn’t finish it off & publish it because I thought most of the things have been said already.

//\

Oh, one other tip. BEFORE you unbuild your current wheel, you might want to pluck the spokes and listen carefully to the sound – both the pitch and variation between spokes. Try to remember the sound as a reference for knowing how much tension to put into your rebuild. Of course, this assumes your current wheel is built correctly. Or, if you have other wheels around, you can just use them for reference. But try to use the same size wheel – different sizes sound different.

Jerry