Philly MUni

a shot from ride on Sunday with Peter H near philadelphia

GetAttachment1.jpg

around town

GetAttachment2.jpg

around town trials

looks like a blast!

Autumnal commute

Had a two hour (8-mile) ride this morning on my QU-Ax 24" MUni taking in a couple of Greenways and stopping off for a play on the MTB trails by the river.

Details in the blog as usual :slight_smile:

(Switched to Linux-GiMP for my image editing - much nicer than Paint coughs)

Another GIMP user!
It’s a little funny to use at first but once you get used to it it’ll become a really valuable asset.

The amount of crap pictures I’ve saved with a little bit of ‘curves’ and ‘hue/saturation’ work…

Bad Fall down jagged rocks!

Rode MUni at Chantry again after first visit there 5 years ago. Got in some good riding until I decided to do a drop/gap off of a big boulder. It went as planned until I started riding away, and caught my left crank on a rock, which sent me flying down a jagged rocky section.

I hit my head hard (helmet saved me) went head-over-heels, and landed hard on my lower left back against a protruding rock! I was laying there upside down, dazed, with the wind knocked out of me, wondering if I’d broken my back!

Luckily I missed the vertebrate and ended up with a really bad bruise with a large hematoma that is still hurting two days later, and probably won’t fully heal for weeks yet. In the still pic below, you can see my leg sticking up as I fall out of view. You can also click on the video link below the pic to see the actual fall, up to the point where I go flying out of view. Then you’ll see where I landed, and a look up from the bottom.

I’m hearing bells as you ride, are they for bears?

Nice fall, glad you’re okay, maybe some torso body armor is in order??

I didn’t have any bells but bikers often wear them mostly to alert hikers and other cyclists that they are approaching. And there are bears in the area, but fortunately I didn’t encounter any. I actually have the 661 upper body armor. Sure would have come in handy for this fall, which was just plain bad luck. We’ve all had crank/pedal strikes, but most don’t result in anything this bad.

Last week I saw some long curved cement benches, at my regular “play ground”. So I thought it’s perfect to start riding it and get used to the feeling. They are relatively wide and one side is lower than the other.
Still a lot of fun, here’s the video:

Have fun,
UVcycle

IMHO it’s better to practice on skinnies that you can ride easily as it helps build ‘skinnie confidence’ which really helps when you move onto smaller stuff. It’s a bit of a shame there’s no north shore where I live.

Moist Morning MUni at Towneley Park today.

Details in the blog as usual :sunglasses:

Yep, I feel the same, thanks.

Have fun,
UVcycle

A protection jacket you’re not wearing for such trails is worth nothing. I’ve spent the extra money to get the POC jacket and it’s really comfortable. I wear it pretty much for all my rides even though I don’t need it 90% of the time.

CokR Hop

Playa Del Rey, California

@timoteusmunk
+1

Great pic!!! Reminds me to place the order and replace my TA tire with the Nightrider - 36er time!

Have fun,
UVcycle

Yeah I like to do something 10Xs in a row before moving on to that harder thing. Also as a phys & mental warm up.

Build something in your yard. See sig.

4 May 2013 - Beacon and Legs, Spokane WA USA

Fat Tire Revolution Vicious Cycle - Beacon and Legs

IMG_5475-m.jpg