Pictures of your latest ride continued

True. I’d say that my back pain was muscle soreness, rather than an injury for me. My right knee occasional pain on the other hand is due to damage over time.

I was having a fantastic early morning ride along the beachfront promenade this morning, right up until I had my worst ever UPD. To top it off I was cracking a fair old pace of 19kph at the time, so my knees got messed up pretty badly.

It hurts as bad as it looks and I’ve taken quite a chunk of skin off there

My left knee is quite sore too

A local nurse patched me up quite nicely

2 Likes

It’s nice to ride on the beach with the big wheel. Injury’s are bad but you can ride with Knee Protection when it’s not so Bad for your knee. For the future or you have same and you don’t take it with you. I know that problem :smiley:. I’m also lazy with wearing knee or some else on protection. Not good.

1 Like

What triggered the UPD?

1 Like

Me trying to pass a runner and not seeing a stone on the path. Doh!

And then the runner jumped over you and your uni and continued his run, while laughing … :slight_smile:

Nowadays when riding in the neighbourhood, I don’t bother with safety equipment either, but I reckon rocks can be found anywhere. I only wear a helmet when riding in the forest, where I mostly ride on dirt roads / sandy paths etc.
I wish I had a such a view of where you live. Looks like a very nice area. Any reason why you didn’t ride on the road?

Simply because it was ‘rush hour’ and local drivers aren’t the best or most tolerant at the best of times

Terrible!

That’s nasty. Hope it heals quickly! :crossed_fingers:

After I hurt my shins walking into a small low-level wall once, when trying to take a photo of something in front of me (yep darn silly) - and the injury taking 5 years to actually clear up - I have just got into the habit of wearing KH shin guards on all my rides. Would like to not have to especially when I feel confident or it’s hot, but I won’t risk another period of a messed up knee or shin - so gear gets strapped on for every ride now. And with my Schlumpf riding it feels 100% needed as I don’t feel I can gage my speed / run out skills as well as I do on other unicycles.

1 Like

Been there. It made me ride with kneepads on the 36". You just never know.
I Always wear a helmet, but not antydning else on the 29" and down (I try to remember clothing, though😂).

Stupidly, I have an unused set of KH Percussion leg guards and was contemplating selling them. I think I’ll be using them from now on.

2 Likes

Did a skills session yesterday. I need to do more of these but usually whenever I get saddle time I just want to ride. Worked on my rolling hops and 1 foot riding

7 Likes

What I have found is that hard shell protection works best for preventing these kinds of injuries. Your KH leg armor would have helped, but on a bad fall what will often happen is your knee will slide along the ground and soft knee protection will tend to stick to the point of impact and slide down your leg. It helps a lot, but I’ve got a skinned knee myself right now due to my Demon United knee protection sliding down during a fall and the DU knee guards are far less prone to that than KH leg armor.

I’ve had knee injuries in the past so when I started riding I went out and got some motocross knee braces, (K4 Pods). They’re big and clunky and make me look a bit like a young Forrest Gump, but when I fall wearing those things, my knees don’t notice it and they never slide down. They don’t cover my shins though and I managed to open up a 3" gash on my left shin while wearing them.

1 Like

I’m going to add in to this, my lower back has been injured do to a military accident 50 years previous. (early 70’s)
I later moved to california in the 80’s to an area with great offroad trails. Out of pure insanity I walked my unicycle (24" columbia) to the trailhead and tried to ride it. My back was so bad after this first ride I could only bare S.I.F. riding to get home. Walking was also painful at this point. Since then I decided that suspension was needed to soften the ride. I still do not have that. But my entire muni frame is a suspension seatpost. So as a result I ride while standing or unloading the weight on the seat on trails. I do not have handle bars or back pain anymore. To the point, I agree kind of with both, elpuebloUNIdo and Canoeheadted, they seem to both agree that they use thier bars to adjust the amount of weight or load to the wheel which would unload your seat, Hmm! and mostly that everybody is physically different so you will have to try any/all of these suggestions to taylor your riding style for your own comfort. I hope you find your zone!

1 Like

Today I was on my last uni ride (ok, TBH unicycle push, mostly…) in Iceland.

15 Likes

We’ll you guys convinced me. First unipacking trip with my friend for my bachelor party. 69 km over 10 hours of back country and pretty hills in the Lanark Highlands. It’s a beautiful area about an hour outside of the capital of Canada with plenty of bike trails, atv trail, and friendly people. I highly recommend if anyone is looking for a vacation in North America, this is a hidden gem near Algonquin Provincial Park.

We ended up doing most of the Griffith Highlands Loop:
https://www.ridegravel.ca/post/griffith-highlands-loop-extended-edition-100-km

It was my litmus test to see if I like doing these trips as I’ve not done any “roughing it” camping since boy scouts in highschool. It was hard, it was wet and it was so much fun! I’m going to getting myself a 36" for next summer for longer trips with many week trips to be planned.

This was done on my custom 29" Oracle with a 30lb pack. The uni was running a light weight wheel, 125 cranks, and a 2.25" Conti Race King tire.

15 Likes

Arrived today in Longyearbyen (Svalbard), at 78 degrees latitude, for a last-minute vacation. And since I still had some spare space left over in my bag I decided to take my athmos. These are a few pictures from when I took it for a short drive this evening from my hostel downhill to the city center.

I’m also wondering a bit if someone else already has been mad enough to come here with a unicycle. I just had a drink with one of the local taxi drivers (who lived here for 13 years), and in his words: “I’ve seen a lot of crazy things here in Svalbard, but I’ve never seen someone to come up here and start riding on a monocycle.” :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

Wonderful, Svalbard is truly a special place. Great that you brought your unicycle - I did the same in 2018:

Not the best place for muni though since you are not allowed to leave town without a gun :wink:

5 Likes

Haha, knew I wasn’t the only one. Awesome! :grinning:.

And yea, one of the reasons I left my muni at home (that and the luggage constraints :sweat_smile:).
It already was quite helpfull for the trips to and from the local store. My hostel is 2.5km uphill from the city center, and using the uni it already cut the travel time in half, plus it is just fun to do.
And a bit of “off-road expertise” isn’t so bad to have due to all the pot-holes (or as mr. taxi-driver would say “I’m riding on 3 wheels more often than on 4)”.

For this afternoon I booked a regular mountainbike tour, just to still get a bit of my muni-fix :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I too have been to Svalbard but did not bring a unicycle. Hmm… next time! :wink:

2 Likes